Airfix - the greatest history lesson of all time. ?

Locolines

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know i did......and still do.....and now i can combine the two - having an airfix (or tamya) kit to replicate all the MV's ive owned over the years......and a few more that i strive to own one day !

I like that idea, and a whole lot less storage space require ;)

....and there was me thinking I was the only boy in history that would happily spend hours trying to build a model...only to shoot it to bits with a Webley Ranger .177 .......:cool2:..

It's not often one can admit to such a thing. I went on to scratch build battleships of card solely to fill them full of pellet holes as they floated down the river - until they either sank or I was able to recover them to be restored to be a target once more. It taught me things like the essentials of buoyancy and safety through design.

A lot of mine fell to heavy bombardment of .177. (Great fun though:D )

....and there was me thinking I was the only boy in history that would happily spend hours trying to build a model...only to shoot it to bits with a Webley Ranger .177 .......:cool2:..

What is it with you lot and the obsession of shooting things with a .177

What have I missed out on?

Was it good?

I had to make to with a .22

Oh and for some reason a Messerschmitt could not survive a grow scarer banger.:-D

Oh and yes I started building the models and things just seemed to get bigger.

Also had the soldiers and we would have battles usinf marbles, suction cup guns, those that fired little discs, and just about anything else that fired objects.

Mike

Reading this thread, it's clear that to a certain generation of us, Airfix models their construction and imaginative and varied demise was a right of passage to manhood. My dear old Dad used to tell the story better...but stood at the back window puffing on his pipe and proudly admiring his Handywork with the lawn mower.......At which point, a flaming fireball that was a C130 Hercules, it's miniature crew wrestling the controls, impacts dead centre of the grass and explodes in a Turps and bog roll fuelled catastrophe ! I'd love to of seen his face, but me and my mate Simon where hanging out of the loft window with an ancient still camera trying to capture the moment. Pause, 2. 3............NICHOLAS GET DOWN HERE NOW ! :D

Air rifle based antics too.

Dad used to get a model maybe once a month at the Newsagent and if he came up the drive with a brown paper bag...Oh Boy ! I know their where lots but the two I remember where the MRCA Tornado prototype and it's red white and Black Scheme. Also a bit out of theme the enormous Airfix. E-boat.

So yes owning my Jeep is really an upscale continuation of a life long modelling obsession Huzzah for Airfix and long may they go on !

oh and I think an Honourable mention to Matchbox, Their kits where to be found on a stand in most local newsagents I like the multi coloured plastic and the Pictures on the back of the box and the little diorama scene the tanks came with.

Edited by Nickmow

In my next door neighbors garden many years ago the Hood got to duel with the Bismark, firepower for both was a tin of Ronson lighter fluid, taking turn to rake the opponent with fire..... ended up pretty much a draw as both melted into the grass :D

I only had a Diana 16 to shoot with. Smooth bore and leaky. It wasn't even powerful enough to fire waisted pellets, just cat slugs. The only way to damage an aircraft with it was to throw the gun at it!

Actually, because the muzzle velocity was so slow, it was fascinating to watch the meandering of the shot as it made its way to the end of the garden. Probably the safest and most useless gun ever made.

We used to build the Airfix ship models all the time. We would make all kinds of modifications though. The hull in certain places would be thinned out so you could almost see through it and then we would build a little plastic box and place a Lady Finger firecracker inside the box, add an extra long fuse that came out the stack. We would then put in bulk heads that rose almost to the top of the hull. The rest of the ship was built normally and painted the best we could following the instructions. A small hole was placed on each side of the stern and fishing line was fed through the holes.

We would get an older brother to drive us to a pond and light the fuses push the ships out into the pond and wait for the explosion, well pop. The hull would crack or a small hole would be blown in the hull and the ship would start taking on water. They looked like a ship sinking and once it went under we would pull them up, take them home, do damage control, and load them back up and head back out to the pond. It was great fun.

Of course we started with Black Cat firecrackers and that blew the hell of the model so they were a one time deal, no salvaging those. Many of our airplanes ended up in lots of pieces from firecrackers.

Oh to be young again and to have cheap models to blow up.

Steve

Was anyone a member of the Airfix Modellers Club, back in the 1970s? I remember that there was a club page in the Valiant comic, and Dick Emery was the president. I still have my badge somewhere.

Yeah fully signed up member here, Wasn't Dick Emery Aircrew in the RAF ?