Airfix - the greatest history lesson of all time. ?

Locolines

I wonder how many of us started our military interest due to Airfix models ? I certainly did. I remember my nan buying my first ever kit for me when I was about 5 years old. She got it for me in walthamstow high street in the early 1960s. A Hawker typhoon if I remember right. Terribly exciting with a fantastic picture on the paper label. By the time I was about 10 , I must have made every kit in the catalogue. By then I knew my crusaders from my Matilda's and my tigers from my panthers.

the little information notes on the bags were history being told , with such names as Stalingrad , El alemain, and Normandy.

never in the field of human history has so much been learned from such little bags.

good old Airfix

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree but..:cool2:.............

my pathetically finished effort of a glue splattered , paint dripped model with all it's transfers stuck on willynilly and all skew wiff ....never somehow seemed to quite match up to the always glamorous depiction of said model 'in action' on the front of the box it came in :D .

....My ol' Dad would often say "whats that you've made then my boy ?!?" ........

I'd beam and reply "a Lancaster Dad !!!!"....

......Dad would go back to his paper , sup his tea and mutter under his breath.....

"mmmmhhhhh ...a Lancaster is it.....mmhhh "

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Been there done that.

Air Sea Rescue Launch was one of my favourites and a shed load of aircraft.

Had trucks, tanks (the Tamiya ones with motors you could drive) ships.

James Bond Aston Martin

Bismark eventually sank in a cattle water trough on a hot sunny day with the help of a magnifying glass.

I vaguely remember building a dinosaur.

Mike

i played hours with airfix soldiers rolling a golf ball one way across the living room floor then back the other like skittles the last soldier standing was the side that won , :-) yes shame children dont seem to play that way anymore and i always walk out of a model shop with something now got to build my airfix D day set yet ;)

As I said previously we sell Airfix etc in our shop, but the other day a rep came in selling Britains soldiers ... Remember them ? A pocket money toy. Not anymore a single Zulu warrior chappie is £22.00 ! Yes 22 POUNDS ! And three desert fellows on a camel.... £305.00 !

:shocking:

Good luck for the future Britans ! :thumbsup:

Thats how I describe my hobby, its Airfix but bigger! I used to do a lot of conversions and scratch build, back then there just wasn't the range of models, if you wanted a JagdPanther, then a Panther plus plastic sheet and a lot of careful cutting, I made a King Tiger, Sherman DD, and various scratch build, I think including a Tetrach! Not a patch on what some of the brilliant models I see in the big tent at W&P, but you could tell what it was supposed to be. As to the effects of the .177? My dad used to load his own cartridges so there was always gunpowder to add a bit more realism, never went bang though!

Edited by simonm

I remember my brother had the coastal defence set, which had 2 plastic spring guns to fire plastic shells or matchsticks. That was good for knocking over troops or vehicles, and it did help spark an interest in things military made of concrete, of which there was no shortage around Folkestone.

Question for you all.

How many of us started building Airfix models and then just upscaled it to full size? I know that is how I started.

Partly, I also had 1:1 scale guns and bunkers to play in. That and local stories started me wanting to know more.