Calling all bedford ql owners...........

JEMIMA

Having recently aquired my own 1942 QLR - I am keen to contact other members with a view to excahaging tips,spares,knowladge and facts etc......I have already contacted a few - and am keen to make something a little more useful......

I plan to create a "QL REGISTER" where i hope owners will register their details with me ,and we can from our own network of fellow Bedford Owners and restorers...

Have you ever wondered how many QLR's are surviving? - Where your nearest sullpier of canvas for your truck is located? - what tips are there for sorting out that annoying problem ? - i know there are forums that can answer many of these questions - but they never compile a detailed list of how many/what type and where in the country they are !

Unfortunetly i am only going to register QL's of various models,appolagies to any other Bedford Variant owners !

I have previously set-up and run the West Sussex Area of the MVT and am fully aware of the rules and guidelines regarding data protection.

Please contact me if you are interested in Joining the register - its all free of course and may just be worth it one day !

I can be contacted bye-mail - andy.kyte@bt.com and will send you a brief vehicle registration form....finding fellow owners of such a rare and interesting British Vehicle has been very rewarding,and something im sure we could all benafit from.

Thanks in Anticipation

Andy Kyte

Many Thanks to all of you who have contacted me - Please keep spreading the word - the more networking the better the register will work !

Having recently aquired my own 1942 QLR - I am keen to contact other members with a view to excahaging tips,spares,knowladge and facts etc......I have already contacted a few - and am keen to make something a little more useful......

I plan to create a "QL REGISTER" where i hope owners will register their details with me ,and we can from our own network of fellow Bedford Owners and restorers...

Have you ever wondered how many QLR's are surviving? - Where your nearest sullpier of canvas for your truck is located? - what tips are there for sorting out that annoying problem ? - i know there are forums that can answer many of these questions - but they never compile a detailed list of how many/what type and where in the country they are !

Unfortunetly i am only going to register QL's of various models,appolagies to any other Bedford Variant owners !

I have previously set-up and run the West Sussex Area of the MVT and am fully aware of the rules and guidelines regarding data protection.

Please contact me if you are interested in Joining the register - its all free of course and may just be worth it one day !

I can be contacted bye-mail - andy.kyte@bt.com and will send you a brief vehicle registration form....finding fellow owners of such a rare and interesting British Vehicle has been very rewarding,and something im sure we could all benafit from.

Thanks in Anticipation

Andy Kyte

Thanks in Anticipation

Andy Kyte

Hi Andy

Congratulations on your new vehicle . We have had a QLD covered up in a barn for the last 50 years and I have finally chased the chickens out moved all the timber and broken tractor bits that were concealing it and towed it into daylight. It needs a fair bit of work It will be good to share tips with other owners and restorers , please count me in

thanks John (stratostang)

Thats great - thanks for your support - if you drop me an e-mail ,i will send you all the nessasary by return - Thanks Again - Andy

andy.kyte@bt.com

Hi andy

You can email me on johnatkings@btinternet.com

My chassis plate is stamped s repair and so the chassis number does,t seem to correspond with any of the chassis numbers in any of the books or internet guides i have looked through. The trucks were taken to an airbase in Denmark and refitted and restamped for new customers so unfortunately I will probably never know what happened in its early life

Regards

John ( stratostang) -

Early Days and still awaiting someforms to be returned......but im anticipating a little as less than 50 QL's surviving and on the show/rally scene in the UK at this time....and an additional (Approx) 20 in Europe......this is suprising to me bearing in mind how many would have seen post-war service as recovery / lumbar trucks....

A huge big thank you to all those who have taken the time to register their vehicles on the QL Register - already reaping the rewards as owners are already contacting other owners and networking those questions/solutions and tips !

Keep the details comming in,and have a great summer show season ! - Andy K

• 2 weeks later...

Hi To everyone who is reading this - Im trying to track down some possible QL Owners - appolagies as the information is old - but do you know of them ? - if so do you have any contact details for them please ? - All of the details below are readily available on the public domain but i cant trace / make contact with the owners !

GEOFFREY DRAY (QLD) - reg GVS 631

GARY DRISCOLL (QLD) - reg YDL 554

LESLIE CURTIS (QLD) - reg 431 XUP

FRED HUGHES(QLD) - reg GFO 261

TONY GEORGE (QLT) - reg BVF 556J

PETER WALKER (QLR) - reg TFO 813

Thanks for that - Happy to report that Peter is now on-board and signed up to the register ! -

For those interested.....

So far we have -

6 X QLR's

3 X QLC's

3 X QLD's

1 X QLB

- The numbers are swelling slowly - a big thank you to all those who have supplied details - and to those who have asked for registration forms but have yet to return them !

• 1 month later...

Hi Scott,

Its not on the register yet ! - i still have a few registration forms awaiting return......(and one paticular owner who has 6 x qls to register!)

So far the figures are -

QLC - 4

QLD - 6

QLT - 2

QLR - 8

- And just to add to the confussion - many that started out as one variant are now something differnt - there are a few qld & qlc's that started off as qlr's ....Members are still slowly comming forward - but i dont anticipate too many more out there - there is a huge network in both the MVT and HMVF and its from this that the contacts are being made....

I know of a definate 11 more still to register / return forms....but even so - this is proving to be a very rare vehicle in comparison to other ww2 vehicles.

I really believe there to be less than 50 surviving examples of QL in the world today - making this both an iconic and extreamly rare vehicle !

Hi Scott,

Its not on the register yet ! - i still have a few registration forms awaiting return......(and one paticular owner who has 6 x qls to register!)

So far the figures are -

QLC - 4

QLD - 6

QLT - 2

QLR - 8

- And just to add to the confussion - many that started out as one variant are now something differnt - there are a few qld & qlc's that started off as qlr's ....Members are still slowly comming forward - but i dont anticipate too many more out there - there is a huge network in both the MVT and HMVF and its from this that the contacts are being made....

I know of a definate 11 more still to register / return forms....but even so - this is proving to be a very rare vehicle in comparison to other ww2 vehicles.

I really believe there to be less than 50 surviving examples of QL in the world today - making this both an iconic and extreamly rare vehicle !

That's interesting as I must have photographed over a quarter if not a third of those which are believed to be left. Still amazes me how some vehicles survive in bigger numbers than others, despite large numbers being manufactured.

• 8 years later...

Dear Sir I wonder if your club could help?, I am looking for a QL I once owned,built in 1944  BEDFORD QLB registration 

5561 VW  I sold it as an unrestored timber crane it was painted bright green with Yull timber West Mersea Colchester Essex on the doors, DVLA  state it was last recorded with them in 2009, I am told it was sold in the North West I have enquiries on 5 posts on Facebook & 3 magazines if it still exists I would like to buy it back & restore it

any help please many thanks Edward