Acmat TPK4-20-SM

fesm_ndt

When I got the V5 the chassis number and engine number are the same. As the V5 was a new one as the PO had lost the old one I had hoped it was a recent mistake and that DVLA would be able to look at the previous record. This was naïve of me as it seems I got fat chance of that.

So have been trying to find the correct chassis number with no luck thus far. It is supposed to be located as per the white box below on the LHS are on the RHS a bit further forward. A lot of them have ID plates on the outside of the cab, but no luck on that one also......... so having a dummy spit at present

130516082803425321.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I got the V5 the chassis number and engine number are the same. As the V5 was a new one as the PO had lost the old one I had hoped it was a recent mistake and that DVLA would be able to look at the previous record. This was naïve of me as it seems I got fat chance of that.

So have been trying to find the correct chassis number with no luck thus far. It is supposed to be located as per the white box below on the LHS are on the RHS a bit further forward. A lot of them have ID plates on the outside of the cab, but no luck on that one also......... so having a dummy spit at present

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77952[/ATTACH]

On the Irish Acmats the chassis no is on the left side the same as outlined above also on steering colm side where it meets the chassis on top of the chassis

On the Irish Acmats the chassis no is on the left side the same as outlined above also on steering colm side where it meets the chassis on top of the chassis

Go figure.... opposite :rolleyes:

My poor mate has been out wire brushing this are the last 2 weekends....... he's going to scream.

PS how many digits am I looking for?

Edited by fesm_ndt

Go figure.... opposite :rolleyes:

My poor mate has been out wire brushing this are the last 2 weekends....... he's going to scream.

PS how many digits am I looking for?

Chassis no on rhs climb on to wing look down at end of steering colm and wing and no is visible .Have pics of this and brackets and exhaust and measurements for you.

Chassis no on rhs climb on to wing look down at end of steering colm and wing and no is visible .Have pics of this and brackets and exhaust and measurements for you.

It willstart withALM T P K 420 SM and 6/8 digits

Over in Istanbul so I need to catch up with my mechanic and sweet talk him into having another look.

I should be posting in the "spotted today" thread as loads of armoured crowd control vehicles parked and on the big bridge I saw around 30 Army Unimogs. But I am not too keen on taking any photos as I do want to risk being crowd controlled

• 3 weeks later...

Well 2 pallets of parts should arrive from France this week. Only parts outstanding that I know of I need are:

- front seats (if I get I need to buy before I paint as the seat bases need to be modded and reinforced)

- apparently there is a brake upgrade kit also

still dreaming of a VCT cab (which would delay everything)

Edited by fesm_ndt

One of the boxes which took a few months to negotiate.

001.jpg

However it raises concerns as the PSP doesn't look like the French style but it's already enroute :-X

I might have to post in the wanted section for French PSP

I been having much discussion with the suppliers in France regarding a brake upgrade and if my truck has a single circuit or a dual circuit. Nervous, as a brake upgrade can only be done at the factory for around $6000 eu.

To increase my level of worry the 1983 parts manual for the Irish Acmat shows a single system.

Picture 1.jpg

Digging through Sean's Acmat rebuild http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?692-ACMAT-VLRA-4-20-SM&highlight=acmat you can see the 2 hydraulic reservoirs on his donor chassis (indicating a dual circuit system). However I do not have a clear photograph under the hood, so could not confirm.

Picture 2.jpg

Better for me was this chassis shot of Sean's that shows two air receivers.

Picture 3.jpg

Thankfully I can just see the two receivers in one of my photos so looks like I am ok. The joys of trying to rebuild a MV in the UK when I am in Malaysia :D.

The other interesting bit is were the Irish ones upgraded at some point as if Acmat is correct then an '83 model should be a single circuit

Pity there isn't any spare Irish Acmat truck cabs around :D

Finally figured out where the fuel tank goes in a VCT, pretty much behind the pioneer rack.

11111111.jpg

A RHD VCT-20

VCT-420.jpg

Abandoned in Chad

Chad 116.jpg

Edited by fesm_ndt

• 3 weeks later...

Still haven't found the chassis number as yetveedub.gif

I could not get LH and RH Acmat seats with integrated seatbelts as only had RH ones. Typical costs are around 800 - 1000 Euro per piece with not much selection out there. I needed lap and sash seats for Aussie regulations but I found on a custom forum that BMW E46 convertible seats are often used in old restorations for that extra bit of safety.

acmat54.jpg

The main thing to bear in mind with these type of seats is that all the force in the event of an accident goes through the seat base so you have to beef up the floor mounts

violon.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I called Corcoran Recovery Portlaoise ,Ireland re acmat cabs ,they scrapped 2 acmats well over a year ago a maintence body and recovery vehicle ,alas both have been completely disposed

It would have been nice to see the recovery vehicles. I wonder if they had the uprated turbo donk.

• 4 weeks later...

Engine number located in front of injector pump ON BASE THAT PUMP IS FITTED MAY NEED TO REMOVE PAINT .

TW 800650 U 6 DIGIT NO AND A LETTER IN YOUR CASE J IND 1983

CHASSIS NO LOCATED ON CHASSIS IN FRONT OF LEFT WHEEL 420 S M TDK 5 DIGITS AND *

BODY MAN DATE DRIVER SIDE SMALL PLATE OVER TANK GUARD ON FRONT OF BODY IE 9/10/85

CHASSIS NO ALSO ON BRACKET OVER STEERING OVER FRONT STEERING JOINT TO CHASSIS.

I SAW CHECKING TO DAY ON MY 4 ACMATS.KIERAN.

Engine number located in front of injector pump ON BASE THAT PUMP IS FITTED MAY NEED TO REMOVE PAINT .

TW 800650 U 6 DIGIT NO AND A LETTER IN YOUR CASE J IND 1983

CHASSIS NO LOCATED ON CHASSIS IN FRONT OF LEFT WHEEL 420 S M TDK 5 DIGITS AND *

BODY MAN DATE DRIVER SIDE SMALL PLATE OVER TANK GUARD ON FRONT OF BODY IE 9/10/85

CHASSIS NO ALSO ON BRACKET OVER STEERING OVER FRONT STEERING JOINT TO CHASSIS.

I SAW CHECKING TO DAY ON MY 4 ACMATS.KIERAN.

Looks like I will be in the UK at the end of October. So will make a concerted effort to find the numbers as need the dvla form to be correct,,, I don't have the small plate unfortunately. I am hoping to get a new one from Acmat

The small plate I refer to is welded on to back body the plate you ref is a metal black plate fixed on lhs over tank , camera battery dead on sun will photo all plates etc. at weekend.

Photos would be nice as that is the first thing I have to find when I get to the barn in the UK. Hopefully it is going to be easy to find :undecided:

Not much I can really do being on the other side of the planet, but have been working on and off at making these weird latch pieces as the rear uprights on mine have been cut off. Not sure why they are designed this way but are not from Acmat (well they don't want to admit to them anyway)

PROTACMAN 024.jpg

Finally after months the blanks have been made from the photo I got from a fellow Acmat owner, so you can see I am having to guesstimate a bit. Missing a groove but mostly done as I will grind it rounder later but I am not going for a perfect copy as thinking chunkier is stronger. Good to get it done as I wont have time to play around when I fly in

acmat56.jpg

Damn I just realised there is a cap on the rear upright. Anyone got a dimension of the rear upright and the hole diameter in the top??

acmat55.jpg

Edited by fesm_ndt

Will take photo of upright Sat Kieran.

that would be appreciated as I will make the caps here and lug to the UK.

I am hoping the uprights are standard RHS box with the only odd bits being the latch 'thing' and cap. 0910 with a hangover, wondering if I should bother with work or just sit here and read hmvf :D...... ahhh better go or the world will end if not (well that's what the bosses tell me!!)

Edited by fesm_ndt

• 2 weeks later...