Acmat TPK4-20-SM

fesm_ndt

I think I need to visit a shrink as in my ongoing efforts to stimulate the European and UK economies I have gone and purchased this Acmat TPK4-20-SM3. The missus was very understanding and said that looks nice (not sure if this is a test!)

IMG_0395.jpg

Payment done and awaiting delivery to a mates workshop in the UK.

Going to be a fairly slow thread, as first stage is to find/deliver the few missing body parts which are LH fuel tank (found), rear tailgate (found), front bumper jerry can holder (found), front bumper toolbox, rear canvas hoops and RH spare wheel mount.

Chasing the body parts first as I am planning on doing the paint job during my next visit to the UK. After I acquire the missing bits I can look at the mechanical parts which were apparently all done 4 years ago so hopefully it should not be so painful.

Not very easy to find information on these so much thanks to protacman for his thread, help and advice (http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?692-ACMAT-VLRA-4-20-SM&highlight=acmat). Also have found two French owners that are helpful, especially in improving my French speaking skills.

IMG_0400.jpg

acmat4.jpg

acmat3.jpg

acmat2.jpg

66357.jpg

Edited by fesm_ndt

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This will give you Occupational therapy and a chance to get out in the fresh air! :-D

I can't wait to get to the UK to do the prep and paintjob but until I find the few missing bits and be scheduled for a work trip I will have to admire it via emails. Be spring so the weather will be pleasant instead of the smoldering heat out here (just spent a day out here sweating on my Ural).

Also will have to find someone around Cambridge area that can make up a fairly decent replica of this rollcage

Inservice 051.jpg

Edited by fesm_ndt

• 2 weeks later...
I can't wait to get to the UK to do the prep and paintjob but until I find the few missing bits and be scheduled for a work trip I will have to admire it via emails. Be spring so the weather will be pleasant instead of the smoldering heat out here (just spent a day out here sweating on my Ural).

Also will have to find someone around Cambridge area that can make up a fairly decent replica of this rollcage

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74063[/ATTACH]

You have purchased a great truck.Do you know its history?You are looking for a spare wheel carrier i may be able to help.Kieran.

You have purchased a great truck.Do you know its history?You are looking for a spare wheel carrier i may be able to help.Kieran.

As not too many pictures around I figured out which one is which as there is a couple of different bits on this one that led me to the CHAD one.

Yep my need to get and wish list so far is:

1. - Rear canvas hoops

2. - Rear roll bar

3. - Rear roll bar (prefer the type above and am currently scouring French junkyards. Most likely easier to find a UK fab shop)

4. - Spare wheel mount (RHS)

5. - Front bumper toolbox

6. - Spare wheel mount (RHS - prefer swing type if can get – I was told Acmat make a swing type) This is a wishlist

7. - PSP mounts and PSP

8. - front lights (later model again from French Junkyards) This is a wishlist

9. - external air filter and hose

10 - towing shackles x 4

11. - Wheel nuts x 5

12. - Rear canvas

13. - wheel rim x 1

I hate lists they always get longer

Bring some sun back as well! PLEASE!!! :-D

I'll try. I got sunburnt at legoland over the weekend, if that helps

Ok late night questions that have popped into my mind

With these pioneer racks I guess the axe is normal size. What about the shovel and pick, would these be standard Land Rover sized?

PARTS 002.jpg

Anyone know the thread size and height of the AMX antenna matching unit? I want to get an adaptor made up for it for a uhf antenna.

PARTS 005.jpg

Mike

The pioneer rack looks like the one on my SUMB and a British shovel fitted that, if it helps ?

Can you get a closer photo of the label on the ATU - I know a couple of people in France who may be able to help with data given that

Regards

Iain

Mike

The pioneer rack looks like the one on my SUMB and a British shovel fitted that, if it helps ?

Can you get a closer photo of the label on the ATU - I know a couple of people in France who may be able to help with data given that

Regards

Iain

Cheers, for the shovel info as makes life easier knowing I can buy a Land Rover kit :D. These are apparently standard ww2 design. If fitted below the RHD the corners are re-shaped it seems for a better fit (I will fit elsewhere)

The antenna base is I believe a standard MX-6707 Tunable HF Antenna Base that was the mainstay of American radio systems for years. I havent got a closer picture as yet as it is in the post to Cambridge.

Managed to get the correct antenna from Israel and is enroute to the UK. Found a site that shows you how to tune the base to civilian UHF bands

Parts.jpg

Lots of discussions going on with a second hand dealer in France.

Edited by fesm_ndt

• 3 weeks later...

The Acmat arrived in Cambridgeshire yesterday and my mechanic mate was saying on the phone “oooooohhhhhhh that’s

big” :D

Looking forward to seeing some pictures as also am getting closer to finding all the missing bits.

Well done Mike.

They are used extensively by 22 as a gun platform, as they don't bounce around like the pinkies with a 50cal in the back.

I borrowed one once for an Army Cadet school recruitment drive in Hereford.

They are an absolute 'Beast' in the flesh!

It had the desired affect in the school entrance :wow:

Keep us posted mate on progress........ And of course lots of photos :D

yep I am hanging out for the photos to arrive....... my guys been too busy to send.

I heard the Aussies trialled them for the same purpose also, not sure if used for in-service though

Been making some inroads on my list of major bits I need

1. - Rear canvas & hoops (being negotiated out of France)

2. - Rear roll bar (found)

3. - Spare wheel mount (RHS) (found in the toolbox under the floor)

5. - Front bumper toolbox (being negotiated out of France)

6. - PSP mounts and PSP (being negotiated out of France)

7. - front lights (haven't managed to translate into French adequately as yet)

8. - external air filter and hose (haven't managed to translate into French adequately as yet)

9. - towing shackles x 4 (being negotiated out of France)

10. - wheel rim x 1 (looking)

11. - LHS fuel tank and guard (found)

12. - RHS fuel tank guard (being negotiated out of France)

13. - tailgate (found)

14. - front jerry can holder (found)

and a host of other bits and pieces being negotiated via babelfish, hand signals and pictures :nut:

Acmat the manufacturer will not assist in any fashion and are not interested in doing business with enthusiasts (contrary to what their website says about service). So dealing with some contacts provided by members of HMVF in France which is the only way.

Edited by fesm_ndt

ok got some as is delivery photos :cry:

Looks like the front edge needs banging out

photo.jpg

A loud hailer speaker was mounted here, a bit odd is now missing but I was going to bin it anyway. I want to fit later model turn signals front and rear anyway.

photo2.jpg

4 of the tyres a very good

photo5.jpg

The rear tray edge is a bit ropey. Most likely will cut 50mm off and weld a strip in

photo17.jpg

photo20.jpg

Is this toolbox recognisable i.e. something MV related or is it scrap?

photo15.jpg

The all important 'missing' spare wheel mount

photo13.jpg

Non-standard step, soon to be scrap

photo8.jpg

I need to find a new pair of these, so will be searching ebay in a sec

photo6.jpg

Needs a good wash underneath

photo3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
it's a real beast that's for sure, when will the work commence.

rick

G'day Rick

Most likely start in June as my mechanic mate is booked out fixing buzz boxes for MOT's. But the timing is good as I been finalizing parts that are missing from all over the place so hopefully by then all the bits will be enroute or already arrived.

He most likely will have moved the toolbox by then also as he said something along the lines that its f''''' heavy. Thanks with the assist on that :D

G'day Rick

Most likely start in June as my mechanic mate is booked out fixing buzz boxes for MOT's. But the timing is good as I been finalizing parts that are missing from all over the place so hopefully by then all the bits will be enroute or already arrived.

He most likely will have moved the toolbox by then also as he said something along the lines that its f''''' heavy. Thanks with the assist on that :D

You made a comment about straightening out the front of wind .That is the shape of it Can you please pm your email I will sent you photos and info.Kieran

• 1 month later...

Well the saga of finding parts continues........

1. - LHS fuel tank and guard (found & waiting for the courier to get organised)

2. - Tailgate (found & waiting for the courier to get organised)

3. - Rear roll bar (found & waiting for the courier to get organised)

4. - Front jerry can holder (found & waiting for the courier to get organised)

Acmat parts.jpg

5. - Rear canvas & hoops (paid for and waiting for shipment from France)

6. - PSP mounts and PSP (paid for and waiting for shipment from France

7. - wheel rim x 1 (paid for and waiting for shipment from France)

8. - towing shackles x 4 (paid for and waiting for shipment from France) these were suprisingly expensive

9. - RHS fuel tank guard (paid for and waiting for shipment from France)

10. - Cab canvas (paid for and waiting for shipment from France)

11. - Tie rod ends (paid for and waiting for shipment from France) extemely expensive :wow:

12. - Numerous other bits and pieces (paid for and waiting for shipment from France)

2800.00eu

13. - front lights (Finalised a price from France, but still waiting on a shipping cost)

14. - Front bumper toolbox (Finalised a price from France, but still waiting on a shipping cost)

15. - external air filter and hoses (Finalised a price from France, but still waiting on a shipping cost)

16. - fuel sender (Finalised a price from France, but still waiting on a shipping cost)

17. - A few other bits that I can't recall what they are as it's all in French :D

2800.00eu

Still negotiating a few other bits like an original heater, jack and these seats from a VLRA2 with integrated seatbelts that cost 800eu a piece :-(

030.JPG

As there is not a lot of Acmat info around at the moment I thought I would post some pictures of some of the different bits I have tracked down to fit to mine (with various notes to suppliers). Basically bits to make the vehicle safer, more useable or bling :D

I have purchased this type of short PSP. The French PSP has small holes drilled instead of full holes in places. The front bracket on this style will not fit on the Irish tray as the tray sides are lower with the canvas subsequently being fitted lower also. So I will need to fit 4 cone seats which are held on by wheel nuts and experiment a bit so the canvas still fits ok.

Picture2.jpg

I managed to get the under spare wheel step. I figured this would be useful to help get the wheel up when needed.

Picture3.jpg

The larger front lights off the 'slightly' later model as being larger they will be more visible

Picture4.jpg

Wing mounted aircleaner which is better suited for dusty environments 'aka' Australia.

Picture44.jpg

Edited by fesm_ndt
poor English

I wanted to buy a VCT rear body, as I heard Acmat had a few used ones and when I added up the cost of parts above I figured why not. Unfortunately I could never get a price out of Acmat :-(, would of been nice for War and Peace and with the top down traversing Australia

2011_192%20(6)_sd_acmat-tpk4-20-vct.jpg

2011_192%20(204)_sd_acmat-tpk4-20-vct.jpg

I wanted to buy a VCT rear body, as I heard Acmat had a few used ones and when I added up the cost of parts above I figured why not. Unfortunately I could never get a price out of Acmat :-(, would of been nice for War and Peace and with the top down traversing Australia

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77890[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77889[/ATTACH]

I like the look of these, a bit like a Dodge Command Car.

Yes most the history of Acmat is supposedly an upgrade of the Dodge platform.

What I find interesting about the VCT they are still rated to carry 6 tonnes, so although it looks like a big car, it is a truck. I guess the Dodge are around the same

Edited by fesm_ndt