Acmat TPK4-20-SM

fesm_ndt

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whether you like it or not, it wouldn't be a proper round Australia trip if you didn't go through all of the mainland capitals, bonus points for going to Hobart :D

I been just about everywhere, but Coober Pedy and Hobart. Never had a reason to go to Hobart perhaps I should as I could visit Cadbury's :cool2:

your best bet would be to start a new thread entitled " reputable restorer needed near Cambridge" or something along those lines, that way you'll get both the restorers and guys that have had work done replying (hopefully). as to cost, most guys will be charging £15-£25 per hour. it's a hassle and a disappointment (welcome to my world) but i'm sure it'll all come together and be worth it when you're cruising along the road back in oz. I've never been to oz but the roads must be really sh1t if you need an acmat to get around :-D

your best bet would be to start a new thread entitled " reputable restorer needed near Cambridge" or something along those lines, that way you'll get both the restorers and guys that have had work done replying (hopefully). as to cost, most guys will be charging £15-£25 per hour. it's a hassle and a disappointment (welcome to my world) but i'm sure it'll all come together and be worth it when you're cruising along the road back in oz. I've never been to oz but the roads must be really sh1t if you need an acmat to get around :-D

The main bugger is I can do most the work myself but not enough time to stay in the UK. I could perhaps quit my job and stay here on welfare :-D

I got a good lead now so I am rather calm and collected now. Regarding the roads in Oz, I just need the Acmat to go grocery shopping at the local version of Tesco (which we call Woolies).

Are you working on yours on Saturday?

glad you're keeping it and don't be disappointed these things never go as smoothly as we would like, infact the more I get into the hobby the more I accept delays are inevitable, I still don't like them but that's just the nature of the game. in answer to your question yes I will be working on mine on Saturday, come to think of it I haven't stopped since war and peace :nut: Saturdays task will involve fabricating 2 hull ammo stowage bins (if the steel is ready in time from the profilers). I keep telling myself it will be worth it when it's done :-D

Funny, that's why I bought the Saracen!

you win...... but I guess yours is far more practical as you can load stuff direct into the back door.

glad you're keeping it and don't be disappointed these things never go as smoothly as we would like, infact the more I get into the hobby the more I accept delays are inevitable, I still don't like them but that's just the nature of the game. in answer to your question yes I will be working on mine on Saturday, come to think of it I haven't stopped since war and peace Saturdays task will involve fabricating 2 hull ammo stowage bins (if the steel is ready in time from the profilers). I keep telling myself it will be worth it when it's done

just looking on the RAC map and you are around 3 hours up the track from here. I am going to spend a day or two loosely bolting bits back on and tidying up my mates barn, then it will hibernate until stage 2 starts. May do some more small/easy welding jobs on Wednesday night but the main push is to get it ready for the next stage.

I am spending the last few days packing the Acmat up for it's short hibernation. Quite relaxing now as fly out Monday morning, back to the warmth.

Braintree-20131030-00447.jpg

Braintree-20131030-00449.jpg

Braintree-20131030-00448.jpg

Never did work out what the light green part is, so needs further investigation and a closer photo :blush:

IMG-20131030-00446.jpg

This is the tool bin that is fitted on the front bumper when a winch is not fitted. It came as a shipping box of spares from France

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

These I presume are the central GPMG mounting holes from the trip to Somalia

IMG_2493.jpg

The future Roo spotter:cool2:

IMG_2487.jpg

Glove covering the intake................ an idea learnt on hmvf

IMG_2484.jpg

Fastener missing off the master cylinder, but possibly more annoying is the bleed screw is snapped off

IMG_2483.jpg

Still packing up the last of the stuff but paid a visit to the Oakington boot sale enroute to the Acmat.

So picked up to bits. First bit is a cannon ball. Pretty fragile and needs to be stabilized.

South Cambridgeshire-20131102-00472.jpg

The second bit is a metal box :D. It is an old gun case and after doing some searches it appears to have belonged to Sir Walter Richard Plummer Esquire former MP for Newcastle upon Tyne. Entered Parliament on 1 October 1900 and Left Parliament on 8 January 1906

Braintree-20131102-00460.jpg

South Cambridgeshire-20131102-00466.jpg

South Cambridgeshire-20131102-00467.jpg

I always see that the front toolbox and jerry can holders are often bent. I can see why now as they are a bugger to line up. Just loosely fitted at the moment

Braintree-20131102-00470.jpg

Braintree-20131102-00471.jpg

South Cambridgeshire-20131102-00468.jpg

Didn't take that long to bolt most of it back together

South Cambridgeshire-20131102-00458.jpg

One day to go to finish packing

I think I figured out why the tool box and jerry can don't line up as the front of the chassis is angled up. So my guess is the rear bolt goes in the top hole and the front bolt goes in the second hole (not the top).

Sir Walter Richard Plummer's box is just a perfect size :D

999620_10151964174881774_1568871008_n.jpg

All packed up to be sent for stage 2. A bit disappointed the work that was supposed to be down prior to my visit hadn't been done but it looks like the new plan and schedule will achieve something I can trust on the overland tripSouth Cambridgeshire-20131103-00475.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

During the lull I have been picking up some more parts that I could not resist buying. Should be back in the UK on the 12th of Jan, but is an office trip :yawn:

I got sent an old photo of mine, when it looked pretty, so thought I'd post up a few I'd found

A795 TNK 008.jpg

Interesting how the speedo has gone backwards on the km's travelled

A795 TNK 012.jpg

Back when the correct heater was fitted and firewall was not butchered

A795 TNK 019.jpg

A795 TNK 021.jpg

A795 TNK 022.jpg

A795 TNK 023.jpg

A795 TNK 003.jpg

A795 TNK 006.jpg

A795 TNK 007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well the new V5 arrived at my office in the UK, still got some wrong details on it but apathy is setting in. At least its in my name and Sorn'd.

Next trip to UK, via Paris is scheduled in for the 10th to 19th of January. Dropping by Paris to look to meet up with an Acmat enthusiast/garage owner to discuss some parts.

Still picking up parts as they turn up....

Acmat brakes.jpg

Acmat compressor coupling.jpg

Acmat engine mount.jpg

Acmat hub nut.jpg

Acmat wiper arms.jpg

Also picked up:

- a second AMU (Italy)

- a second antenna (Israel)

- 2 antenna tie downs (US)

- 2 new mirrors from (UK)

• 2 weeks later...

Well back at work but only a skeleton crew on, so battling to make it through the lunch break awake. My only excitement was the mail:

- Antenna tie downs

1560581_10152106517116774_1292110475_n.jpg

- Quick release door pins

1546467_10152106517246774_751772044_n.jpg

- Ural motorcycle engine

1520782_10152106517841774_396107483_n.jpg

Counting down the days until UK again :nut:

1524750_10152106517021774_1492451285_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well 12th of January spent the day with the 14th Annual Paris Traverse with around a 1000 vintage cars driving around

Started off at just before 8 and 1 degrees C. Lots of old stuff, saw some military stuff but most was moving so hard to get pictures

IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg