Acmat TPK4-20-SM

fesm_ndt

It doesn't look that well at least......

yeah the grass cutter guy donged it on the head. I would have run screaming, like a girl in the other direction :red:

we had a nest of them the other year and found baby ones in the dunny, which I have never used since.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well arrived in UK at 7am and Cambridge around 10, so went and spent a few hours acquainting myself with the Acmat I bought in April.

Finally found the chassis number, just needs a bit better clean tomorrow.

IMG_2380.jpg

Starting ripping bits off and found layers of white and also some desert paint. The intake pipe is rotten which is going to be an annoying repair.

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

Both wings need coming off as both are full of bondo filler. A job I could have done without with the limited time.

IMG_2385.jpg

The firewall has been butchered where the weird heater of unknown origin was installed

IMG_2390.jpg

These are the new marker and indicator lights

IMG_2384.jpg

Seems I have been sent the wrong front toolbox

IMG_2391.jpg

Still got loads of stuff to sort though in the rear

IMG_2392.jpg

Mike

Glad you made it to where the truck is in the end. Looking forward to updates while you are here - did you find the slave socket OK ?

Regards

iain

Should be great. I found that box yesterday and the box of new cables from France to fit it.

Hopefully will start attacking it with a grinder today as Monday to Thursday I have work meetings and then after that I have 2 1/2 weeks to finish the rust repairs and paint. Quite surprised how thin the skin is

and I thought my resto time scales were a little optimistic :D good luck with it. rick

I was just supposed to be giving it a sand and a dab of paint as the mechanicals will be done after I paint it. I wasn't expecting so much body filler in the wing though, so my guess there will be several very long days.

The RH wing, with rusty bondo filled lip, the layers of paint and started on the modification for the slightly later model lights (wanted these as easier to see).

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

The LH wing is 10kg heavier with the amount of bog in it....... :wow:. Really going to waste some time.

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

Good news today was that my mate here who can also weld said the intake area is not so problematic...

Bad news today, when I pulled the spare out of the tray the side-wall is split open :(

I have a sneaky feeling that folding the windscreen is going to be problematic with the mushroom intake fittedIMG_2406.jpg

More disassembly with both wings, bonnet and front panel off. Snapped 3 bolts

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

Found extensive rust on under the LH wing and above the battery tray :mad:

IMG_2412.jpg

Seats are out and found another ID plate, almost full pack of fags and 50 Euro cents

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

I wouldn't smoke those.........

.... They cause cancer it says so on the packet

So I guess you're saying they don't improve with age?

Started drilling holes in the tailgate for all the accessories. Was one of those things you do when another bit is annoying you

IMG_2427.jpg

Cut a hole to be able to get access for the welder to fix the air intake pipe. It was really rotten on the top and bottom but after a bit of bodgery, I managed to get the whole thing out :-D

IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

Cut out the rotten area on the LHS.

IMG_2435.jpg

Minor rot on the RHS

IMG_2437.jpg

Finally got the non-standard customized tool box out. The last nut took me 2 hours to get out in between stress breaks

IMG_2436.jpg

Don't seem to of achieved much today. Fitted the new fuel tank fittings, removed the batteries, removed the lhs step, reorganized a lot, started cutting the rust out above the battery tray and of course went to Halfords.

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

There was no hot water when I got home last night and it seems tonight is going to be the same. Call me soft but I aint getting into a cold shower. I am really hoping the caretaker comes in soon, preferably before dinner.

1374258_10151933031221774_63512185_n.jpg

Well made several patch panels today out of the lid of the old toolbox.... lots to go though. This is for me perhaps the most complex on the cab. The wings are a different story altogether :nut:

IMG_2453.jpg

I took the 'non-original' RHS step off and managed to find more rust. Seems the term 'no-rust' has a different meaning to some people........

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

0630 start tomorrow so hopefully some patches will be installed by the end of play

Got the 2 most difficult patches done eg the LH cab pillar and the battery box roof (an awkward spot to get to). Still got a few small patches to do on the cab so tomorrow will be cutting bits of metal to fit.

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

I put some putty on that I brought from Malaysia and it don't seem to like the cold weather here. Hopefully tomorrow it will be rock hard.

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2463.jpg

Lifted the new seat up for a look. It is extremely heavy and not much room. I have to see how much I can adjust it, before I make mounts for it.

IMG_2464.jpg

Well a late 0930 start as had a conference call earlier. Pain is have to do 3 tomorrow morning..............fffffffffffff

I ordered a RH front bumper toolbox, but got a LH one. Anyway I reversed the lid, the latch and presto an almost complete RH one (just needs a dab of weld to fill the hinge rivet holes and to hold the latch on. Interesting trivia = you can have 2 toolboxes (RH & LH), you can have 1 tool box and one jerry can mount, but you cannot have 2 jerry can mounts as the power steering ram mount is in the way.

IMG_2465.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

Cut 100mm off the rear tray as it was mangled up and am going to weld in some checker plate. The existing tray looks like checker plate but it is a pressed plate.

IMG_2467.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

I got my moneys worth out of that grinding disc :D

IMG_2469.jpg

Made the round plate to fill the old turn signal hole and tidied up the new square one

IMG_2472.jpg

The RH wing was my better one then I found this underneath with bog coating it on top. So I have to cut 2 big holes in the top to get rid of these rust creators.

IMG_2473.jpg

RH tool bin floor needs a patch also :-|

IMG_2474.jpg

Mike,

glad to see your making progress, getting creative with your talents reversing that box around.

Did you come over on an open ticket?

R

I wish an open ticket. When I get back to KL I have to fly direct to Hong Kong. Fairly annoyed with the amount of rust as was discussed at great length, but if I have a good day today I will be on schedule.

The toolbox was one of those interim jobs that one does when feeling knackered, annoyed and just want to sit down for a break.

Still battling away, now pretty much need the guy who welds to pay a visit so I can get stuck into the more interesting stuff

New headlights from Nick at Canmec

IMG_2475.jpg

Still have to reduce the height of the rollbar

IMG_2477.jpg

The normal door handles don't lock but I bought these off Ebay some time ago and they are a perfect fit.

IMG_2478.jpg

The LH wing :mad::(:mad::help:

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

Edited by fesm_ndt

Well nothing done for 2 days and a week to go.

Extremely frustrated as I was just supposed to be painting it on this trip as the only rust I was told of was in the battery box. All the work that was supposed to be done prior to my arrival hasn't. As I cannot stay longer I need to decide whether to scrap it or pour more money into it.

scrap ? re sell ?

Don't know as yet, as the plan was simple, tidy it up, do the mechanicals, ship to Aussie and do a planned around Australia trip.

The truck cost me 7000 and I have since spent over 5000 on parts. If I go to resell I wont even get the original 7k back. Its fixable but I have run out of time as I can't send it to Australia unless its ready to go, I cant stay here longer and I can't send it to Malaysia where it would be easy to get the work done.

I got some feelers out with the guy in France and have asked around UK to see what type of money it will cost to do some work.

Tempted to go up to Withams and buy a pre '89 90

Edited by fesm_ndt

mike just sub it out to a restorer to finish off, if it's not far off from being finished and you can get a reputable guy to do the works then it won't cost the earth ! good luck with it

That is what I a digging around for some prices to do, being a weekend doesn't help. If it was in KL it would be easy as I have all the gear and resources to do it myself. Typically it is impossible to send to KL though but I have asked the question regarding temporary imports.

Going to spend the next week loosely bolting it together and tidying up the mates barn I am in.

PS Any recommendations for "a reputable guy to do the works"?

Edited by fesm_ndt