What Have I Bought???????

Meatslicer

Question

Hope you Military types can help with this one.

I bought a box of WMIK CES kit from withams, expecting some roll cage bars and weapons mounts etc, but have ended up with a collection of canvases and leads I cant identify.

Some of them I can use but there are a couple of large canvases I cant work out.

One is a newish nato green heavy duty canvas, long enough to cover a 110 but has a diagonal flap along each side which doesnt match any vehicles I know of. It has a velcro closure at the rear which lines up with the defender door but there are no attatchments at the front for the screen loops or pips.

The other one is a desert sand colour heavy duty canvas tent which has door flaps at either end, each flap has 6 buckle straps set on the outside, and a large zipped flap above the flap on one end big enough to act as another door. The whole tent thingy more that covers a 110 van and has elasticated lines running all around the base with hook attachments at the ends. I can post some photos later if anyone needs them to help identify them

In the box also were 2 heavy duty body bags(!) and 6 body blankets which are essentially green plastic tarps with cotton lining. Obviously essential for realism when doing up a military vehicle!

Oh and I have two tank jump leads going spare if anyones interested. Probably worth about £40 in scrap for the copper and brass fittings at each end. Free to anyone who has a tank they will fit and wants to collect them from South Wales or a donation to the site plus postage.

16 answers to this question

Pictures are good! My workshop body on my Daf has a canvas stripp along the roof that clips to a canvas of somesort on plastic buckles. It could be that type! Also the RB44s have a bigger version of the 9x9 landrover tent!

I measured the larger tent thing, It is 20 feet long by 8 feet wide and 8 feet high. there are straps and clips on each side to allow the sides to be rolled up and secured.

I took some pictures on my phone but they are not brilliant because I cant get far enough away from it to get enough detail in, but I will post them later when I can get to my laptop.

The thick copper leads have a part number on the back of the end connectors, FV564833. Is that any good to anyone?

Eric

I measured the larger tent thing, It is 20 feet long by 8 feet wide and 8 feet high. there are straps and clips on each side to allow the sides to be rolled up and secured.

Eric

That's the size of a shipping container. Possibly a cover for a drops sled?

Ok, these are the best I can do with the technology to hand.

Camo tent1.jpg

This is a wide angle shot of the desert camo tent. You can see the zipped flap on the top of the edge this side.

green canvas.jpg

And this is the green canvas, Looking at it now, I think I may have it on backwards. It is more than long enough to cover the cabin on the Landy.

Tank slave lead.jpg

And finally the tank jump leads,

id number slave.jpg

And ID number.......

Edited by Meatslicer
Added info

The tank leads are intervehicle connecting leads. I think also the centre pin type and are in quite high demand.

Someone in here was looking for a set recently.

I wouldn't mind a set for myself as I have currently the twin pin type.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?19565-Inter-vehicle-starting-lead&highlight=inter

? Did I see recently on ebay a set of the single pin jump leads sell for £120? Or was I thinking of something else or similar looking ?as I have a few sets ( probably 8 i think ) of these - some long , some short . .Also got some vehicle boiling/ cooking vessels with leads which I know were carried in daf drops as I have the power supply etc but what other vehicles did they use them in ?

Martin

I have seen nato slave leads advertised for even more than that (but they didnt sell!) but £120 seems excessive. I paid £45 for a long one and felt i did well. I think £50-£70 is probably the going rate.

BV's until recently were a bit of a rarity, but seem to be more common now. I did hear that Withams used to squash them as they werent allowed to sell them for H&S reasons, but if thats true it must have changed as a lot seem to have come out recently. Really nice ones are still rare though. I would guess £50ish for a reasonable one with a lead. They are used in just about every british AFV...

Just my thoughts..

Timbo

Think Ive sussed most of it now.

The big desert tent is a vehicle camo throwover, and I think the green canvas is actually a landrover WMIK winterising cover. It would fit over the extended roll bars and has circular extensions to fit over the weapon ring, with attachments and cords where the roll cage bars would meet the chassis.

It sits nicely over the landy cabin and covers down to where the door tops would be on a roofless/soft top vehicle. Its a bit like a vehicle top tent. Very useful.

The tank leads are intervehicle connecting leads. I think also the centre pin type and are in quite high demand.

Someone in here was looking for a set recently.

I wouldn't mind a set for myself as I have currently the twin pin type.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?19565-Inter-vehicle-starting-lead&highlight=inter

These leads are fitted to most vehicles from 70s onwards.

Definately on Bedford MKs and Engineer plant vehicles. Used them many a time.