(Removed)

LightningCato

The majority of surviving Abbots have almost all been (mis)used by "Tank Driving" firms although there are a few that haven't. You may get lucky, but expect to pay a premium. The Abbot parts that are in common with the other FV430s are relatively easy to find but the Abbot-specific parts are more difficult. Luckily most things can be repaired rather than replaced.

As when buying any FV430 check the gearbox oil for signs of water (white streaks or froth) as heat exchanger failure is a fact of life. You can fix them, but it's a pack-out job to do so.

If you want to have a show-worthy vehicle pay particular attention to the presence of CES, particularly interior turret bits and pieces. Most of the ex-Tank Driving vehicles will probably have been stripped.

Finally as an investment an Abbot is the better bet. I didn't buy mine for that purpose, but having paid £7500 for it as a pile of bits I see that decent, complete ones are now pushing £20k. They only ever built 150 and probably only half of those still remain.

Andy

bmp 1 great fun, stronger more durable than an abbott, asuming 432 standards of parts...( ie I have never owned an abbott) and parts mostly repairable and can be sourced from Europe, so in the end its take your pick...I think the Abbott is more tank like than the BMP to be fair...

If you are going for a soviet vehicle, go for an OT. The Czech & Polish vehicles tend to be better built than the general Soviet stuff.

Between the BMP and Abbott, the Abbott would win out for me. The FV43x series are very easy to maintain and keep running. Also, the automatic gearbox makes it really easy to drive. Make sure you get a good hull as the suspension bushes go and then it gets very expensive, very quickly.

If I were you, I'd also consider a CVR(T). It's lightweight which makes it reasonably easy to work on. It'll fit in an ISO shipping container to get it home, meaning you can spend more on the vehicle and spares. There is plenty of support and spares for it, and something like a Sabre or Scorpion has a good tank-like look about it. The gearbox is like a motorbike.

You can actually fit two CVR(T)s into a normal ISO container with a bit of wiggling, so there's space for spares if you pack it well. If you need to transport it long distances to shows etc. then it'll fit on a normal car recovery vehicle.

If I could fit in one, I'd have it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately they don't come in my size :banghead:

I'm biased - but I'd got for the BMP class over the Abbott simply because access to critical systems is a LOT easier - nearly all work can be done with the engine in situ rather than needing a hoist and frame to lift the pack out. They tend to break a lot less often (fingers crossed I haven't jinxed myself saying that!!) whilst for driving the greater speed and agility make for more fun. If you can drive a car you can drive one of these, they are that simple.

If, like me, you are built on the large size the space inside the hull for the driver and commander gives them the edge over the CVR(T) too IMHO.

As Robin says - get an ex-Czech Reserve unit and everything that is supposed to be in the interior is in there - and works. Try finding that on a comparative priced Abbott. Got hold of a Czech BMP-1 and the odds are the main gun will still be live as will the Malyutka firing circuits......

the only downside might be a longer wait for spares - they are available from Eastern Europe but first you have to find a supplier willing to sell to individuals and then wait for shipping. Although if the Abbott specific parts are as rare as other posters say - you will actually be better off as the BMP class parts are available.

Try talking to Duncan Nicholson at www.tanksforsale.co.uk about these.

I have an Abbot, a Scorpion and a BRDM-2.

You'll get a nearly new eastern bloc 'tank' for less money but spares will be a pain if you need them...

You'll have to pay quite a bit to get well sorted Abbot or Sabre, or you go the other route and buy a 'project' with all the bits to sort it out yourself. (Which are all readily available here in the UK)

I think it depends how much of a 'tank' you want too! I love my Abbot mainly because it has a big gun!

If I had more space, I'd have a T72!

If you are down in the south of the UK, take a look at The Tank Museum at Bovington.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to agree with Neil. My BMP-1 is a hoot to drive. I drove 113's in Canada, and the BMP will run circles around them! Maintenance is straight forward.

Who is the fellow in France with Sherman's for sale???

Perry

Edited by pkitson

• 3 weeks later...

OP looks like your really having fun..........I am very happy for you......To have all those support people truly is special...Tell one of your master mechanics there are some houses for sale near me..:D.....I am into history if I had the money I would buy a Sherman or Hellcat..But I truly am satisfied with my little Ferret scout car........Please keep us posted on what you get with maybe a video!!!! The very best to you...