Admiralty Labelled Denison Smock????

Scotch Harry

www.wehrmacht-awards.com

Try this link if it works, I have no knowledge at all, just googled it and this forum seems quite good and the information about smocks may help.

Hoppy

I know the name of the site may not inspire I googled Admiralty Vocabulary Smock and went straight to the topic

Thanks for the link.

Am not a member on there but will try to find the topic.

The previous comments are all correct. The wartime Denison was used by Royal Marines but post-war became a common item of issue to Marines. As such, the Admiralty Department demanded Denison's under separate contracts to the War Department who were responsible for the Army..........apart from the designation "Admiralty" and the Naval Vocabulary (stock) reference, these are identical to the Army issue.........it is thought that they were only demanded during the 50s........

You can also find 49 pattern serge battledress under a similar demand for the Navy....it doesn't usually have "Admiralty" on the label but does feature the "Vocabulary" reference, thus identifying a Naval item intended for Marines.........:-D

So Royal Marines it is-excellent;););)

Are these more desireable due to their label and I take it were probably made in smaller numbers than other Denisons?

Depends on the size of the contract !!!! Still a Denison tho, regardless to whom issued or ordered !!! :-D But at least you can pin this example down to RM issue........

To add to this, I have never seen an "Air Ministry" (RAF) example (intended for 2 (para) Sqn Raf Regt, BUT, the Denison IS listed with a "22C" (flying clothing) series of reference numbers.........so, did RAF-contracted examples exist.....???!!!

Edited by wdbikemad