Shorland?

Yes well done it is indeed a Shorland!

We are all familiar with the turreted Shorland model SB300 (Armoured Patrol Car), but the vehicle that clod of paint came from is the prototype of the SB301 (Armoured Personnel Vehicle).

This vehicle is the mother & inspiration for all subsequent armoured Land Rovers that we have seen so much of around the world in the last 40 years. So durable some original examples are still operational in Syria today.

Janes states that the production SB301 became available 1974 with the first prototype in 1973. This was that first prototype & went through many changes as it was registered in 1968. All these colour changes would be in readiness to impress a particular customer or market at exhibitions.

I restored it a few years ago & it now resides back in Northern Ireland. I found that I tended to take other vehicles to shows & always found disappointing that people would not read the history board. Not just the public but I even heard one enthusiast telling people not to look at it as it was something that I made up myself.>:(

DSCF3062.jpg

DSCF3066.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes well done it is indeed a Shorland!

We are all familiar with the turreted Shorland model SB300 (Armoured Patrol Car), but the vehicle that clod of paint came from is the prototype of the SB301 (Armoured Personnel Vehicle).

This vehicle is the mother & inspiration for all subsequent armoured Land Rovers that we have seen so much of around the world in the last 40 years. So durable some original examples are still operational in Syria today.

Janes states that the production SB301 became available 1974 with the first prototype in 1973. This was that first prototype & went through many changes as it was registered in 1968. All these colour changes would be in readiness to impress a particular customer or market at exhibitions.

I restored it a few years ago & it now resides back in Northern Ireland. I found that I tended to take other vehicles to shows & always found disappointing that people would not read the history board. Not just the public but I even heard one enthusiast telling people not to look at it as it was something that I made up myself.>:(

DSCF3062.jpg

DSCF3066.jpg

That's a nice Rover Clive....

Knowing your penchant for the Shorland I suspected early in the thread that It might be the answer but as time went on I found it hard to believe that nobody came up with it:???

Yes that surprised me Derek. All sorts of interesting one-offs suggested.

In fact I am sending over the clod of paint to NI for the current owner to admire. In real life it looks very pretty, the Maplin magnifier has its limitations.

The outer layer of it is mushroomy & this was the colour that Shorts would paint the Trakmark lining. No doubt it got very grubby with time & a lick of paint would smarten it up.

So I felt quite justified doing the same, although critics would tell me I shouldn't have done that as 'they' would never have done that. :-D

Did you convert it to LHD Clive? Or convert it back?

Converted it back as that was part of its unique history.

It was very difficult finding LHD components, because nobody wants them. When people convert to RHD the bits usually get chucked because there is no market (here) for such bits.

Lovely job Clive ! Is she still being looked after as well or maybe gone back to work ? :-D

Thank you Andy. Sadly when I saw it 18 months ago it wasn't looking like it was in the photos as it had been stored outside for a while. Now it is back in NI I think the new owner will give it the attention it deserves.

I found a good match was Light Stone + appx 5% red oxide. Trouble is that was a rather matt finish.

To get gloss I recently found quite a good match at B&Q. Then got it home to find out it is this modern water colour stuff.

But going round those sort of stores is so irritating, paint all divided into bedroom, bathroom etc shades then themed into 'my mood', 'my theme', 'my chill' & all that sort of nonsense. Not a row of gloss paints in their various colours, but all spread around the place & themed. Grrh!