Pre WW2 Pass Lamp system

Tony B

Question

17 answers to this question

British armour before WW2 had two independant tail lamps, one red and the other blue. I have never found out the reason why, pehaps this is what Tony is refering too ? :undecided:

Not sure about pass lamps, was it a night time version of the pass plate system that was in use on British and Canadian trucks up until about 1942 ?

Pete

That's the problem guys! I don't know!:red: Phil has ordered a new harness for his Wolsley and one spec had wire for a Pass Lamp system.

Ah, was that for the front harness to the head lights ?, there were several systems in use in the twenties and thirties for anti-dazel devices some had solenoid operated tipping lenses others I believe actually turned out the bulb while still others activated a very low wattage second bulb an early form of modern twin filament I suppose.

I would need to hunt around in my pre war reference books to be more precise but I assume the Wolsley you have will be standard dip twin filament pre-focus?

Pete

Tony,

I have cracked your coded message! Nothing to do with military use at all. I have an old book of my fathers called Practical Automobile Engineering (1945), it comes in handy occasionally, like now, it has some wiring diagrams, one for a Wolesley 14hp.

The Pass light is not a headlight it is smaller lamp on the nearside (opposite to the front fog light) lower and inboard of headlights. When you operate the foot switch (called Passlight foot switch), it switches off both headlamps and turns on passlight and vice versa. I seem to recollect this idea was for overtaking, or to indicate you were doing so.

May need to be a bit careful on definition here. I assumed Pass, meant back to front ie Overtake. But it also appears to dip the main beams, as approaching a vehicle. Oh, yes, PM delivery adress for consultants fee! Got the tea bags!

Edited by Tony B

Thanlks for that. Now need to check the actual vehicle and see what is there. Though the trafficators still work! :-D There is an odd hole on the bar behind the bumper which may have been the light. Don't have an ilusstration by any chance?

Don't you have a wiring diagram? I will see if I can copy it later if you have not got one.

That will be another packet of Hob Nobs you owe me :cool2:

God the expense!! :wow: I know Phil has various manuals, but just like modern times you can have the extra toys! The wiring has been 'repaired' over the years and is frankly a right cats cradle. Hence a new harness. The idea is to take the vehicle to Normandy and touring around, and it is a nice vehicle to drive on modern roads. So Safe and reliable will be order of the day.