West Midlands WV7 3EX

Sun 9th June 2013

http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk

Some MV required to embellish ground displays. Namely:

Bedford MK flatbed & tilt.

Bedford RL -"-

Unimog 406 sideboards

Fwd Control ambulance.

Land Rover series III with tent attached.

RAF Mountain Rescue vehicles.

All must be camouflaged or olive green. No fees. Up to 50,000 visitors. Participation by invitation only, applicants accepted.

Flat bed trucks to suport 3.5 tonne ATREL box bodies 6-10 June.

Is it possible to get some sort of calander set up to ref all shows on?? Plan the year, cos a bunch of dates means nothing, most people then look at a calender to check the date any way!

There is one on the forum already: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/calendar.php

Just needs people to fill their event details in!!

I'm of the oppinion that if I'm part of a shows display then I should not be charged ...

i have attended the Military and flying machines show organised by the Essex MVT since its inception, it's free for MV owners and Re enactors, that includes a place to camp and some basic services at the site. It only cost £20 ish for a family of 4 ... The show make a profit from the public who attend (some 15-20 thousand over the weekend ...) much of that money going to good causes and a small slice being held as a contingency fund ..as I understand

I can't imagine that a show of that size is cheap to organise what with security /fencing - toilets, public liability insurance / a bill to clear up litter , Publicity etc etc .. Oh and a fantastic flying display ££££££££

Several years ago found out that the W&P site was covered in public footpaths so started using them as I felt it was a bit stiff to charge me £17 plus to go shopping ..I don't pay to go to Asda...!!!!

Now saying all that .. I'm not adversed to coughing up a few...£5 ish max if the money is going to good causes but if the money generated is to fill the coffers of some individuals bank A/C .... NO !!!!

Rant over..:cool2:

i mainly do shows that dont charge as they are making money off me and i usually end up helping anyway in 1 way or another

the only event that i pay to attend at is the plains invasion but that is not a show but a yearly event that is a lot of freinds that get together to have runs over salisbury plain and have fun over the weekend costs are covered by everyone who attends but we make no profit from the event in fact we normally make a loss

i keep getting invited to do w&p and stay for the whole time but usually cant do the whole lot but always try to do at least 1 day but wouldnt pay for it

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone considered that as MV club members we could arrange our own massive MV event and charge a nominal fee to book in (say £25) and then return it to the owner when they turn up?

Even better why not have members send in a sub for a proposed show and return a share of the profits to them according to how much they put in? Perhaps every £1 could equate with one share - but obviously on the basis that past performance is no indication of future returns (especially as the weather may spoil things).

Despite the hard economic times we are in, there is still enough money collectively for us to run a W & P equivalent as a

co-operative and share the cost and any profit?

Incentives could be paid to members bringing rarer / interesting vehicles such as the Sd Kfz collection, or for interesting displays as these should all attract the public and in turn increase revenue?

I'm sure there must be a farm somewhere in the Midlands south of Birmingham that would let out a few fields each summer? If it was regularly booked we wouldn't have to wait for the harvest to be in either!

Edited by LarryH57

Despite the hard economic times we are in, there is still enough money collectively for us to run a W & P equivalent as a co-operative and share the cost and any profit?

There will never be another show the equivalent of W&P.

It amazes me that people think all you need is a field & you have a show, as the co-organiser of a successful show now it our 8th year this couldn't be further from the truth.. there are already shows springing up further North & given time they will grow but not to the scale of the W&P show.

There will never be another show the equivalent of W&P.

It amazes me that people think all you need is a field & you have a show, as the co-organiser of a successful show now it our 8th year this couldn't be further from the truth.. there are already shows springing up further North & given time they will grow but not to the scale of the W&P show.

Never say never. :)

I first started going to car shows in the early 80s with a VW Beetle, many of those would levy a charge, some were around £6-8 for the weekend. Never really objected as we went ahd had a load of fun and met loads of interesting people. In many cases it is probably good value for money as where else can you camp with friends for that little?

What I do object to is paying £5-10 to get into a pub on New Years eve.

Mike

With the reference to paying to exhibit at a show why should this become the norm, surely the organisers get enough from the paying public when open, the exhibitors pay enough for fuel and or transport costs just to get there so why should they pay. >:(

I am on the organising committee of a MV event overseas which has been going for 33 years. It takes place over 7 days, not big in vehicle numbers but those who do turn up often travel 100's of miles to get there, in one case thousands of miles. It does not take public admission money, but they are welcome to come and see the vehicles. We have trips out over several days with organised visits, quite often schools where we are warmly received. The ultimate day has a drive through the local town to a display venue with all the vehicles lined up for an aerial photo, and a swap meet takes place. In the evening a presentation and auction, which is for donated items, and the income agian going to support the event. We charge an entry fee of equivalent to £10, this covers administration cost such as printing, phone bills, etc. The local council over the last couple of years have recognised how many visitors and increase of trade is brought in and have given us a grant under a tourism scheme, with this last year, every registered participant recieved a cap with embroidered logo, and a coffee mug also with logo. The grant also paid for other requirements, such as a site office for the week and an aerial platform to take the photos by. Discount vouchers from businesses in the area were received.

Now this event is for the owners and enthusiasts and no one quibbles about a fee. I have been going to War & Peace since before it was known as that, I look at it as a meeting of enthusiasts, not there to show off to the public, therefore the entry fee is in fact a "camping fee" and for 8 days, pretty good value.

Edited by Richard Farrant
grammar

'It amazes me that people think all you need is a field & you have a show'

Well many shows did start out just like that - an open space for exhibitors and another for the visitor car park.

But I wasn't really suggesting thats all that is needed now. Obviously a good site is very important and to my mind the more rural the better, like the Victory Show but I agree it does need someone to organise it and for indemnity insurances, health and safety to be assessed etc

What I was suggesting is that we all get together and do a big show ourselves with the help of all the expertise we have and even if I end up to put in more than the £25 it would give me and many other MV owners great satisfaction in knowing it was done for us and not to gain a huge profit for someone else at our expense.

As for camping at W&P for 8 days or more for £25 thats OK if you actually do so but for many owners who still have kids at school till the last weekend of W&P or who have to save much of their miserly holiday entitlement for a two week family holiday its not so easy, so only stay one night

What I was suggesting is that we all get together and do a big show ourselves with the help of all the expertise we have and even if I end up to put in more than the £25 it would give me and many other MV owners great satisfaction in knowing it was done for us and not to gain a huge profit for someone else at our expense.

There are already IMPS & MVT Shows that put profits back into their clubs for the members & charities.. IMPS charge non-members £10 to attend but some people say they won't pay that.. Any show you put on you will find opposition when you ask for a fee to attend..