CCKW Cargo Canvas - How To Best Cover It ?

Vulture

Guys

Last winter I stripped the back of my CCKW 352 right back to just the metal and stored the Canvas, Seats and Bow. For a variety for reasons I’m thinking of leaving the back on. I already have a 12’ x 12’ canvas tent that I wrap the cab up in, and that does a great job. I’m keen to find out what other CCKW owners do regarding covering the cargo canvas over successfully.

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Edited by Vulture
Formatting

Hi vulture,

i usually cover my 353 with one or two plastic tarpaulins like the one,s you can buy from machine mart. They

are waterproof , ultra violet resistant and will last for most of the year. The downside with them is eventually the sun gets to them , they go thin and are then easily torn by the wind. The best protection i have

had so far was material from a curtain-sided truck , waterproof but very heavy to drag over the top of the truck , waterproof and not easily torn by the wind. It may be worth asking at any local haulage yards to see

if they have any sheets for sale. Hope this helps. By the way, no further problems with the truck since fixing the water pump ?

Regards,

steve.

I use light plastic sheets (Adverts knicked off the side of a bus) on the top of the canvas, to prevent puddles, and a large motorhome cover is the best way to go.

Tony

Where did you source the Motorhome cover from ?

I've spotted these on E-Bay, although I'm not sure they are big enough. I'll have to check the truck dimensions when I'm home. http://www.leisureoutlet.com/caravans-and-motorhomes/caravan-and-motorhome-covers/full-motorhome-covers.html

Kind regards

Vulture

Hi vulture,

i usually cover my 353 with one or two plastic tarpaulins like the one,s you can buy from machine mart. They

are waterproof , ultra violet resistant and will last for most of the year. The downside with them is eventually the sun gets to them , they go thin and are then easily torn by the wind. The best protection i have

had so far was material from a curtain-sided truck , waterproof but very heavy to drag over the top of the truck , waterproof and not easily torn by the wind. It may be worth asking at any local haulage yards to see

if they have any sheets for sale. Hope this helps. By the way, no further problems with the truck since fixing the water pump ?

Regards,

steve.

Hi Steve

I've had a quick look on Machine Marts web site: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/search/filter/tarpaulins+/type/any/page/1

Presumably you have lots of rope criss-crossing over to stop whole thing blowing up like a balloon ?

I like the idea of the heavy-weight coverings from trucks !! :goodidea: There is a commercial scrap yard a few miles down the road in Ramsey. I might swing by there to see what they have.

Aligning that bolt on the top left of the pump almost did me in I must confess when fitting it ! LOL

Engine sounds quieter now ! :) Gave it an oil change as the weekend, and check the axle oil levels over. I'm part way through unbolting the O/S door skin to get it welded up. Only 5 bolts left in at the moment, then it will be interesting to see how easy it comes off...

Kind regards

Ian

Edited by Vulture

I used an inveted piece of guttering laid length ways from front to rear on top of the middle of the bows....make sure its not a really cheap section or else it will collapse......-this was enough to form a ridge and thus ensure the water doesnt collect in large pockets between the bow sections -over the top of this i covered the whole truck - cab included with the biggest plastic tarp screwfix had at the time....and them lashed it with lots or rope i managed to find a green tarp that came down to the bottom of the cargo bed,and at the same time covered the cab /bonnet ....

You could always substitute the guttering section for an inverted "T" shape made from planks - but this may be too heavy to keep lifting up and down - the guttering has virtually no weight or cost and worked a treat for me !

I used an inveted piece of guttering laid length ways from front to rear on top of the middle of the bows....make sure its not a really cheap section or else it will collapse......-this was enough to form a ridge and thus ensure the water doesnt collect in large pockets between the bow sections -over the top of this i covered the whole truck - cab included with the biggest plastic tarp screwfix had at the time....and them lashed it with lots or rope i managed to find a green tarp that came down to the bottom of the cargo bed,and at the same time covered the cab /bonnet ....

You could always substitute the guttering section for an inverted "T" shape made from planks - but this may be too heavy to keep lifting up and down - the guttering has virtually no weight or cost and worked a treat for me !

Jemima

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated. I will go in search of guttering this weekend :)

Cheers

Vulture

What about a kind farmer with shed space, better than those plastic tarps.Just a thought. Howard

Hi Howard

Down here in Cambridgeshire a friend at the local MVT Area offered me some free covered accommodation for the winter (open barn). Problem is I'm moving house to York at X-Mas, and as yet have to firm arrangements up regarding what to do with the truck. I have an option of parking it in dry covered sheds in either Leeds or Boroughbridge, but at £ 80 per month :shocked:, and 25+ mile from the house, it's not the preferred option just at the moment. I could leave it down here over winter, but I'd prefer not to, as to keep removal costs down, I will need to fill the back up and take stuff north in it ! LOL

Ian

Hi Ian

Good luck with your move, and hope you get storage where you are going, I am going through a move my self at the moment, and just moving my workshop and equipment,has been very long winded and I am still not done, I am also trying to manage a revamp of a Bungalow, so with builders and other people its been very busy, and trying to deal with EDF what a nightmare.I still have BT to deal with I wonder what they will be like.

Howard

Is this a cover up job for the winter if so you might consider removing the good canvas and storing indoors, once it is covered in plastic sheeting it can sweat and get mould on it so if you have new or good condition canvas might be the best bet to remove.

Just got a e mail from machine mart and in there are these instant garages !!!!!

May be the next step up from a blue sheet ?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cig1220-heavy-duty-instant-garage?da=1&TC=RV-140611220

The instant garages look great....unfortunetly they are only 8ft tall.......so not suitable for most over-sized mvs.....

I had no problems with canvas sweating,there was planty of air movement and of course you need to cover when the canvas is dry,enlcosing a damp canvas will only cause problems ! - its all down to how you wrap it i guess.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys. I'm leaning towards the combination of a breathable cover with plastic gutting providing a ridge to stop water pooling at the moment. Need to make some calls to see what the cover will work cost-wise.

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Thanks for all your thoughts guys. I'm leaning towards the combination of a breathable cover with plastic gutting providing a ridge to stop water pooling at the moment. Need to make some calls to see what the cover will work cost-wise.

Kind regards to all

Vulture

I've had a recommendation on Robs Rope Works in St Ives. The address I've got is on New Road but there's a similar sounding business here - http://www.srobb.co.uk/ so I'm wondering if they've moved across town. Either way I've been meaning to drive Dolly up there and get a fitted cover. You could probably do the same :)

I've had a recommendation on Robs Rope Works in St Ives. The address I've got is on New Road but there's a similar sounding business here - http://www.srobb.co.uk/ so I'm wondering if they've moved across town. Either way I've been meaning to drive Dolly up there and get a fitted cover. You could probably do the same :)

Hi Lauren

Good suggestion :-) I might swing by them and get a quote in the next week or so. The trucks down in St Ives at the moment as it happens, so its very convenient.

Kind regards

Vulture

Get some pictures of the sort of material they might use and some other dimentions ect shape of the sort of cover you are wanting and a price might be interested if they are good a strong !!!!!!
I might go and approach them from the angle of an order size of 5 or more, and see what sort of price they will do. I'm sure if a well designed winter cover could be designed quite a few people would want one (if the price was reasonable). I'm envisaging a cover that covers all the cargo bed canvas, the cab down to below the bottom of the door skins/actual doors and then over the bonnet , engine grill and and engine sides, but not the wings. Thoughts ?

:nono: Cover the wings too! Fit over front bumper - but may need to have option for winch or no winch?

Needs to come down below floor of body.

It could be done in two lengths - 352 and 353.

My Royal cover has just succumbed to the dreaded winds, so get a move on will you? :cool2:

Edited by N.O.S.

:nono: Cover the wings too! Fit over front bumper - but may need to have option for winch or no winch?Needs to come down below floor of body.It could be done in two lengths - 353 and 353.My Royal cover has just succumbed to the dreaded winds, so get a move on will you? :cool2:

I've spoken with the company in St Ives, and have agreed to swing by with my truck next week (either Wed or Thu) for a detailed chat. In the meantime I've sent them a photo and pointed them in the direction of my Photo Blog and given them the dimensions of my 352, and asked them to give me a rough quote (to the nearest £100) for a basic cover (in green). I'll post here when they come back with some info :)

Edited by Vulture
Formatting