CCKW Cargo Canvas - How To Best Cover It ?

Vulture

I might go and approach them from the angle of an order size of 5 or more, and see what sort of price they will do. I'm sure if a well designed winter cover could be designed quite a few people would want one (if the price was reasonable). I'm envisaging a cover that covers all the cargo bed canvas, the cab down to below the bottom of the door skins/actual doors and then over the bonnet , engine grill and and engine sides, but not the wings. Thoughts ?

I think it needs to be a couple of feet off the floor at the most all round, the issue with the front is the top corners of the cab windscreen being sharp !!! need to make a hoop like the cargo hoops but this one needs fixing to the front bumper tall enough so the cover coming forward off the rear canvas can miss the cab. Plane straight sheet length of truck to go from floor one side up over the roof and down to floor the otherside then just the ends left to do, get two separate end panels and stich them to the main sheet like a 12x12 tent ?? have reinforced eyelits all along the bottom edges so these can be tied down to the wheels ect.

Costco.... Set of 2 bloody BIG Brown Quality ( not that cheap B&Q STUFF) Tarps ..£18 ... plus VAT ...I have wrapped my Jeep in one of them but double the tarp is doubled over ..Blog loos Fantastic Old Bean ..ken
Hi Ken, yes big tarps are an option, however, after trying one a few weeks back (which was admittedly a lightweight one) I’m interesting in exploring other (albeit more expensive) options. I’m picking a new rear canvas up off Allied Forces today to replace the current one that leaks like a sieve, and plan to fit that next week when I get the truck back from a garage in St Ives. I know I’m out of step with many who think it’s a good thing that vehicles before 1960 don’t require an MOT, but I put mine in for a ‘safety check’/dummy MOT at Welch Commercials. They spotted a few things but only one significant one would have ‘failed it’. The new rubber hose that Rex Ward supplied a few months that connects in the inlet manifold to the hydrovav pipe wasn’t man enough for the job and was partially collapsed :( They have had one made up for me locally that has a coil insert within it. With the move of house and job + the weather I’m not getting the time to put into the truck at the moment, so I’m having them change the last 3 brake hoses that still needed doing, along with sorting three things they spotted: a) the UJ nearest the pillow block rear prop shaft had some play in it, b) 2 bolts on another U/J that were loose, c) add split pins to the engine mount bolts. As for the Blog, yes the total keeps climbing, and it can’t be that long before I reach the 300 figure :) Kind regards Ian

......I’m having them change the last 3 brake hoses that still needed doing, along with ....

I can just hear Welch's fitter casting aspersions on your pedigree :cool2:

Well done though for biting the bullet and getting them to check it out. No matter how good we might think we are, there's nothing like a trained eye to find all these issues.

I can just hear Welch's fitter casting aspersions on your pedigree :cool2:

Well done though for biting the bullet and getting them to check it out. No matter how good we might think we are, there's nothing like a trained eye to find all these issues.

Swung by there today and dropped off a new UJ in preparation for them working properly on it next week. They are also going to sort out a leaking fuel pipe on the carb. Damn thing was fine when I set off, but has now started to leak ! :shake: :mad:. Hey ho, the joys of vintage vehicle ownership ! LOL

2012-11-23___08.30.08.jpg

Lots happening over this next 7 days (if all goes according to plan). They should have finished with it Tuesday, so I'm planning on it picking it up on Wed (my 50th birthday :-() swinging by the cover company for a natter, have lunch out with the missis, then take it home to fit a new canvas back. Thu/Fri I'm going to load it up with house stuff and then with a old friend of mine as co-driver we are driving the 155 miles up to Gods own county where I'll then park it at my new work in York. Heard today that the house move date will probably be the 18th/19th Dec. Need to make up a big 'Slow Vehicle' sign this weekend, which I'm going to hang off the back of it.

I think it needs to be a couple of feet off the floor at the most all round, the issue with the front is the top corners of the cab windscreen being sharp !!! need to make a hoop like the cargo hoops but this one needs fixing to the front bumper tall enough so the cover coming forward off the rear canvas can miss the cab. Plane straight sheet length of truck to go from floor one side up over the roof and down to floor the otherside then just the ends left to do, get two separate end panels and stich them to the main sheet like a 12x12 tent ?? have reinforced eyelits all along the bottom edges so these can be tied down to the wheels ect.

Swung by to see the company as planned with the truck yesterday and we talked about material options, and he had chance to have a good measure up. He is going to E-Mail in the next couple of days with a rough quote.

Got the quote through yesterday. At £830 I don't think I'll be bothering to do any more investigating with them... If anyone wants details PM me.

I'll re-attack this topic when I'm installed in the new house in York in the New Year.

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Got the quote through yesterday. At £830 I don't think I'll be bothering to do any more investigating with them... If anyone wants details PM me.

I'll re-attack this topic when I'm installed in the new house in York in the New Year.

Kind regards to all

Vulture

What is that price for, how big what does it cover, what is it made off ? If you think that a rear canvas is nearly £500 its not bad !!!!!!

If you were to remove all the canvases and put that sheet over could probably add 10 years life to your canvas.

What is that price for, how big what does it cover, what is it made off ? If you think that a rear canvas is nearly £500 its not bad !!!!!!

If you were to remove all the canvases and put that sheet over could probably add 10 years life to your canvas.

It would cover the back of the truck down to the bottom of the cargo bed (with the bows on), extend over the cab, hang down just below the door skins and then cover all the bonnet and front wings. Straps were included. As for material it was lighter version of the covers that go on canal boats.

I want to satisfy myself that there aren't cheaper equally good options out there before I go any further. Happy to pass on the companies details if someone else wants to talk to them.