What's Dangerous?

LarryH57

Question

IMBS - But while discussing the hobby with er in doors - she wondered if there is anything collectable that is dangerous that perhaps we should keep away from.

We may have heard about the 'danger' of owning instruments / watches that were made with radio active paint but is there anything else to be avoided that is more deadly that the slight risk from radio active paint.

Many years ago I was told that asbestos was used in early gas masks from WW1 or WW2 - is this true?

Also if depleated Uranium is used in shells - is there a hazard in owning the shell cases or the boxes they came in?

I'd be interesting to know what else is out there.

11 answers to this question

Everything is dangerous

Lead based paint, some other IR paints are very toxic. All the innards of old radio equipment is toxic with the major hazard being pcb's and could go on and on

However you will find a hell of a lot of similar toxic stuff in your kitchen. Being in an industry with lots of safety training I often think how many injuries occur in the household with spouses that have undergone no training in HSE

Spray on oven cleaner for example is pretty much paint stripper and people have gotten 3rd degree burns. Drain cleaners have burnt and killed many. A chemical swipe of most older ceiling fans are coated in pcb's due to the capacitors used to start them. Shorting the fancy mobile phone battery can cause an explosion.

Those little lead soldiers kids chewed on.....:-D Any paint in your house over 20 years old

So its all on a case by case basis.

depleted uranium bit iffy pity as blocks of it make very good riveting blocks!!

the dust from corrsion on it is the annoyance

which bring up some aircraft parts are made from thorium magnesium

some bearings were made from copper berylium and more importantly a lot of tools such as the needles in Navy descalers and non sparking hammers

Was doing some digging on DU and ammo boxes etc would be no concern as the penatrator is seal in the projectile and it states "No additional protective measures are required for unfired DU munitions beyond those required for all amunitions "

I like this though

"You are in a situation where DU presents a hazard if you—

Are in, on, or near (within 50 meters) an armored combat vehicle at the time it is struck by DU munitions or an M1A1/A2 Heavy Armor tank when it is struck and breached by any munition (DU or non-DU)."

I think DU during this event would be the least of my concerns

This is also a nice quote "Like lead and other heavy metals, internalizing large amounts of uranium could affect your health"

The main danger with military vehicles is simple , death .

When your significant other finds out how much you spent , continue to spend , or just must have .

Jamie

:D

:D:D

:D

and when you work outstation you accidently mention how much you miss your truck.... oops missus :D