wheelers dealers jeep

griff66

I'm not a Jeep expert, but I thought all Willys Jeeps in 1945 had a jerrycan holder as standard and didn't have 'Willys' stamped on the back panel as this was only on early models. Can an expert here give their views, please? Also, what was that gauge next to the exhaust manifold?

Otherwise, not a bad programme.

Oh yes, anyone know who bought it?

Also watched the program, its obvious that some editing was done as the ' Expert ' who looked and commented on the finished vehicle didn't mention that this model does not start with an ignition key, also if bought in the states, why did it have a British Jerry Can, do they actually make a profit as wages are not taken into account apart from this a reasonable program.

Was it a British jerrycan or one of those 20L cans you buy in Motor shops these days? Are they sold in the states?

Don't know if they are sold in the States but for the price that the vehicle sold for ( plus he did spend $100 on a genuine first aid kit ) you would think that they could have found a US Jerry Can

Not a bad programme, though some of his facts were a bit off the mark. I couldn't make out what the gauge was on the manifold and as commander said, the chassis tag looked too good to be true. Was that an authentic bridge plate, never seen one of them on a wartime vehicle before. Oh and he needs to learn the difference between a Hurricane and a Spitfire. Thought it was a bit odd buying everything from the States (seemed very cheap though) it was like there is no parts network in the UK at all, not a mention of any suppliers.

Sat and watched it with the wife and was told that if I picked holes it would be turned off. :-X

There is nothing historically wrong with British type 'jerry' cans on US vehicles, due to wastage by vehicle crews after the Normandy landings there was a massive shortage and millions of cans were turned out by British factories and supplied to all Allied forces. If you look at pics of fuel dumps the cans stacked there are mixed types.

I read somewhere that on D-Day there were about 5 Million jerry cans available, by the time of Market Garden only about 1.5 Million could be found. I've also seen pictures of Allied vehicles with German Jerry cans on. If it works use it. One guy I know in Jersey has a Wermacht Jerry can on his vehicle, when I asked him why, he told me it was a family heirloom, his Dad had nicked it on Liberation Day. :D

There is nothing historically wrong with British type 'jerry' cans on US vehicles, due to wastage by vehicle crews after the Normandy landings there was a massive shortage and millions of cans were turned out by British factories and supplied to all Allied forces. If you look at pics of fuel dumps the cans stacked there are mixed types.

( See my previous comments ) Ok didn't realise that, does make sense though as you say millions of cans must have been turned out, thanks for the info

Didnt see an original bolt on it,16k wow ,if youve ever been to a top classic car auction you will see bitsa jeeps going for the same money,the worlds gone mad.Who was the expert at the end of the show who said brass extinguisher was rare and a first aid kits worth £500 ?,i think that was vacuum gauge on the engine,what the point of it was and why you would leave it there i dont know,but if a wrong repro rear panel was missed i dont think there was hope for fixing the rest.

Nice to see a jeep on tv though.

A bit nerdy but if you watch the beginning where there is a brief montage of ads I am sure that one is Millweb and the name Dallas Auto's appears which means that they must have known that parts could be bought in the UK.

I hope the trouble with the gearbox was not because mike did not know how to double de-clutch!

couldnt find a usn jeep that had sold but theres a cj in raf colours at cheffins for 23rd oct guided at 15-18k and a jeep at classicmobilia.com for 30k.I wish i hadnt got rid of all my rotten jeep bodies i would be welding them to mahindra chassis as fast as the auctions would take em.