New toy... Scorpion

BRDM Driver

Arrived today!

Runs ok once warm, doesn't like the throttle being blipped so might need plugs and a look at the carb.

3 J60's on the way from Withams too!

Original reg appears to be 04FD03? Hard to tell for sure as it's been painted over and over and over...

How do I find out more about her?

tank2.jpg

Looks better on the outside than it does inside, kind of opposite to my BRDM2.

Really cramped compared to the BRDM too, but hey it's a real tank with a big gun!

Engine sounds really meaty, even though it has 2 cyclinders less than the BRDM.

Lots of interesting stuff inside.

Will post some better pics when it stops raining....:yawn:

I am reasonably sure this is the vehicle that came from Withams via their auction site 3 or 4 years ago...

I think there was a post about it at the time I will try to find it. As to where it was prior to that who knows!?

Found the post but dont know how to link to it. It was in November 2009 if you search withams scorpion you will find it...

Edited by timbo

I wouldnt worry about the price mate, remember when you buy from Withams you have to add vat, and you're getting a completely unknown quantity. Looks nice and complete inside. If you spend a couple of days in there cleaning up you will be surprised what can be achieved..

Enjoy....just dont ask me to help you change the batteries..!

I can imagine what it's like getting those batteries in and out!

Come winter I have a large pile of batteries to look after...

Price wise, I'm well pleased with what I paid and what I have. I was looking at Sabre's but personally I think the original Scorpion is a more interesting vehicle (historically) plus the turret has a tiny bit more room!

Having said that it makes the BRDM feel like a limo inside!

Looking inside, it's all cosmetic and a good cleanup will do wonders. Having seen what some brave souls take on as restoration projects, this one is nearly mint...:D

If it helps - I have the same issues with batteries, when a Scorp doesn't start it's a real PITA. I've put an alloy PCB box from Maplins on the bulkhead just behind where the driver's head would be. Drilled it for a Bosche socket and ran a lead from the inspection light sockets on the master switch box in the driver's compartment. Putting a plug on my trickle charger means I can just plug it in and let it get on with it. The inspection light sockets are live when the master switch is off so you can isolate everything else. Because it's right near the driver it should stop you driving off trailing a charger.

Otherwise the square gel batteries don't fit through the turret hatches and the only way out is top armour off, driver's seat out and drag through the gap.

Richard

Looks cracking mate.:cheesy:...and at the risk of starting another war along the lines of 'yes it is ! no it isn't !"....:D.....I have to agree with you....In my book that's a tank...a real proper living breathing (ok maybe 'little' but still a ) tank!.......armoured reconnaissance vehicle my foot! hahahahah!

I can imagine what it's like getting those batteries in and out!

Come winter I have a large pile of batteries to look after...

Price wise, I'm well pleased with what I paid and what I have. I was looking at Sabre's but personally I think the original Scorpion is a more interesting vehicle (historically) plus the turret has a tiny bit more room!

Having said that it makes the BRDM feel like a limo inside!

Looking inside, it's all cosmetic and a good cleanup will do wonders. Having seen what some brave souls take on as restoration projects, this one is nearly mint...:D

How odd? When I changed the batteries on my Sabre Im sure they went through the top hatches, albeit with a lot of grunting and swearing....lowering them in with rope helps as you definitely cant get them through while stood in the hatch...and yes they were 6NT 120 amp so the same size as the Hawker ones...

Might be that the sabre hatches are just that little bit bigger as it's a different turret. From what I remember with the Hawker batteries there wasn't much stopping it, but just enough. Couldn't even get them in on their side. I've got to replace the turret batteries shortly and am looking at those that Marcus Glenn has for sale. Hope they are a bit smaller!

I think that Marcus is selling plain 6TNs, which are conventional flooded lead-acids, as opposed to the 6TNMF (Hawker). They won't last as long as the Hawkers so may prove a false economy. All 6TN variants should be the same size, 286mm x 269mm x 230mm. There is a version without the breather manifold (as used by the US) but it isn't any lower as the overall height is dictated by the terminals.

Andy

I think that Marcus is selling plain 6TNs, which are conventional flooded lead-acids, as opposed to the 6TNMF (Hawker). They won't last as long as the Hawkers so may prove a false economy. All 6TN variants should be the same size, 286mm x 269mm x 230mm. There is a version without the breather manifold (as used by the US) but it isn't any lower as the overall height is dictated by the terminals.

Andy

The Marcus batteries whilst cheap dont seem to last very long. I googled a couple of places and found some branded commercial equivalents for about £170. These have lasted 2 years, never been charged and crank like billyo..

The civilian equivalent of the gel filled hawkers seem to be about £5-600 each!!