Hope we don't see this in UK

gazzaw

I wonder if this would happen here, There are talks (rumour control and like) about something similar for UK but would this restrict owners of classics, mil vehs etc who occasionally use them and are not their main mode of transport?

In Singapore - Car owners must have a Certificate of Entitlement (COE), an expensive compulsory certificate designed to limit car ownership. Residents who wish to drive must bid for the right to buy a motor vehicle, with the number of certificates deliberately restricted.

The COE allows holders to own a car for a period of 10 years, after which they must scrap or export their car with financial incentives or bid for another COE.

And it’s not cheap - the average COE cost for a compact car is between S$71,999 and S$89,500 (approximately £37,067 and £46,077 GBP).

Where's me pushbike?

A compulsory driving test every five years would be a lot more helpful!

Andy

I think that an intelligence test might prove to be more effective, idiots can behave themselves long enough to get through a driving test. You only have to watch the antics on the roads everyday to realise that....... I sometimes wonder why some people dont realise that 30mph is still much faster than walking.

i drive lorries for a living and see people wearing earphones alot more now. pedestrians and cyclists and they just walk or cycle in front of you too involved in what they are listening too rather than looking where they are going and why do cyclists think its ok to ride through a red light if i did that i think something might be said or reported ! :argh:

i drive lorries for a living and see people wearing earphones alot more now. pedestrians and cyclists and they just walk or cycle in front of you too involved in what they are listening too rather than looking where they are going and why do cyclists think its ok to ride through a red light if i did that i think something might be said or reported ! :argh:

Please don't mention cyclists (or bike riders) as they are a major problem where I live - Going through red lights, expecting you to get out of their way on Pavements, wrong way up one-way streets, and if you say one word to them, all you get is abuse back and the Police just ignore it!! OK, rant over.

I wouldnt worry too much over this sort of thing Gary.

I cant see it happening, the Government makes FAR too much revenue from Fuel duty. to want to reduce

the amount of vehicles around!.............

The more vehicles = The more petrol sold = even MORE revenue!................Or am I just being cynical?

• 2 weeks later...

Not cynical but you will need a motor vehicle mortgage and a seperate income with shares in a Saudi oilfield to run a vehicle - as fewer vehicles on road = less accidents, road wear etc and to make petrol a luxury item and 10x affordable price they will still make money off those who can afford it lol