Turret for Ferret - or not?

Aussie

Question

Thanks for your advice re this turret, that the seller (other side of Oz) says is for a ferret. I was thinking of putting it on a mark 1 ferret but a forum member noticed it has a rectangular base plate that suggests it's not off a ferret and so wouldn't fit. Does anyone know what it might be off (it's Australian ex-army, I imagine)? Of more importance to me, do you think it would be easy or feasible to cut the base to fit a ferret - or should I just walk away? Thanks James

Turret-1.jpg

Turret-2.jpg

Turret-3.jpg

15 answers to this question

its a usable Ferret turret but not on a standard ferret base plate.

Depends how much you want it . It clearly has the correct turret bearings so at the end of the day you could simply bolt it on top of another plate shaped to fit the ferret hull, depends on your attitude to originality versus "must" have a turret

given its rectangular shape it is remotely possible that the base plate may be off:

a) a Malaya ferret ie the one with the raised superstructure, or

b) a Malaya emergency Dingo

However those turrets should have split rear doors not the single flap one shown

The turret was also used on Saracen, but I don't think saracen has a base plate like that

Edited by john fox

its a usable Ferret turret but not on a standard ferret base plate.

Depends how much you want it . It clearly has the correct turret bearings so at the end of the day you could simply bolt it on top of another plate shaped to fit the ferret hull, depends on your attitude to originality versus "must" have a turret

given its rectangular shape it is remotely possible that the base plate may be off:

a) a Malaya ferret ie the one with the raised superstructure, or

b) a Malaya emergency Dingo

However those turrets should have split rear doors not the single flap one shown

The turret was also used on Saracen, but I don't think saracen has a base plate like that

I was thinking it was off a Saracen because as I recall our Saracen ACVs had a large rectangular sliding commander's hatch where the APC had the turret and just maybe this plate would fit that hole.

But I reckon the turretless Mark 1 will represent a longer and wider time line than a turreted Mark 2. Once recce started using CVR(T), the only places I ever saw Mark 2s in British service were Cyprus and NI (and I know Mark 2s were replaced by Fox in the Omagh armoured car regiment before Ferret retired), whereas the Mark 1 stayed in service everywhere as runabouts for sergeants major and rebros right until the end of service.

Saves the hassle of firearm certificates: we never ever mounted our .30" Brownings on our Mark 1s.

I differ in your opinion, firstly it is in your native country. Secondly with a modicum of work it could be resurrected for a Ferret as stated by others, thirdly this will likely be the last one you see for 10 years and you will be kicking yourself until that time, when the price will have gone up ten fold and will have easily have exceeded the cost of transport of this one now.

Add to which, next year after you are "in the loop" of Ferrets and owners someone will ask you for a turret and you could flip this one at a modest profit, as you don't gouge friends, and another partial Ferret would be complete.

Likely this will be melted down in 9 months time to reappear on your shores as a new Kia car.

Buy what is around when you can if at all possible is my motto.

Considering our bank interest rates at 1.2% this is likely a better investment right now than saving your pennies at the local Bank.

R

OK - I'm persuaded! It will at least make an interesting garden gnome (joking).

So.. Any advice about how to mount it on the ferret? If I cut the base, will it just bolt onto the hull, or should I try getting a ferret turret ring? I have no idea how turrets are fabricated, or even it's really a turret ring that I'm after - I'm assuming it's the equivalent of the rectangular base but could be well off the mark. If it is the correct bit of metal (I think I can get one), does all the turret stuff (bearings etc) just unbolt, or is welding involved (which might be a step too far for me)? Also, what's the recommended way to clean off paint and rust, and any advice re particular paint for rust-proofing? Will also need to replace the bearing grease - I guess that's just heavy-duty bearing grease. I also wonder about the slit in the top of the turret - looks a bit bingled and I wonder if it's supposed to have a periscope or sight or something in it.

I realize that this is probably the simplest/lamest "project" you've ever heard of, but I'm a really rank amateur and this is uncharted waters, so all advice is greatly appreciated!

James

all the bearings etc are on welded mounts on the plate...best to work out where those bearing are in relation to the hull...from what I remember and looking at plate K1 of the parts manual there are bearings to the left and right, and one straight ahead. Then cut the plate, drill the holes to bolt it on, and bobs yer uncle.

The bearings are fairly easy to take apart, but will most likley be OK, mine was a complete wreck (fire damaged), but the ring and bearings were fine...it was in a worse state than your one looks.

If you can afford the shipping I would check with banisters about the persiscope mount and gun mounts, he did have them a while back and the periscope mount does look a bit "weathered" on your one :)

Richard also had a huge batch of bump stops for the turret door made up, so you could also get those.

start soaking the hinges now :)

Edited by MiketheBike

Definitely a Saracen/Ferret turret, fitted to a Saracen roof plate. If you want to fit this to a ferret, it'll fit if you just trim the mounting plate to fit the ferret hull-top. The interior of the turret is the same when fitted to ferrets and Saracens, to my knowledge, as I've worked on several ferrets, and my own Saracen.