green goddess fuel comsumption

cossy1

Fully laden with equipment and water, probably about 10-12mpg, unladen, or with empty water tank, a fair bit more, maybe 18or even 20 if driven gently.... Assuming it still got it's petrol engine...

Good grief - you'll be lucky!! :shocked:

Unladen, I get about 8.5 miles to the gallon out of the original petrol engine on mine. It does depend how you drive it; I drive carefully, double de-clutch, don't do more than about 40 mph and normally carry very little kit unless I have to for a show etc. I recently had some work done to it which included sorting the timing and mixture out (the EFS always ran them rich) so that might have improved it a touch.

When it was in service, in 1996, mine had an engine rebuild which included new cylinder head, new pistons, liners, studs, dynamo etc. After fitting, it had a 260 mile test drive before the head was re-torqued and it was put back to bed. The paperwork confirms it achieved 8.6 on that run.

If you can get into double figures, please tell me how!! :-D

• 2 weeks later...
I get 10-12 out of the RL driven fairly carefully at 35 - 38 max, 14 maybe on a very good run (no stops no hills), well down into single figures in 4wd, and it's a flatbed with the later engine well maintained and in good tune.

10 used to be the figure used for planning refuelling stops with unladen RL's back in the mid-Seventies. That halved to 5 when laden so I'd expect a kitted up Goddess but with empty water tank to be somewhere in the middle......

Driven at reasonable speed and not thrashed up through the gears you can expect to get 10-12 mpg.......convoy work always produced very poor fuel returns, too much low gear work. When you consider that a Jeep will only return about 18-20 mpg, thats not really so bad.

Driven at reasonable speed and not thrashed up through the gears you can expect to get 10-12 mpg.......convoy work always produced very poor fuel returns, too much low gear work. When you consider that a Jeep will only return about 18-20 mpg, thats not really so bad.

I have no idea just aht its better than a stalwart and worse than my car...I drive mine very slowly, I do go to 50 mph now and again just to give her a good clean out, but she never runs more than 10 mpg.

some of the engine rebuilds were done with hardened valve seats, think they have the head painted in yellow srtipes or something...if they have not been done then the unleaded fuel will ruin the valves eventually...you need to use the additives for unleaded fuel in unleaded fuel cars etc...you know what I mean.

however they are still prone to drop a valve if you drive them as was intended when attending a fire...on a regular basis...so I certainly recommend gentile driving...I love driving the goddess, no idea why you double de clutch in 2 3 and 4th it has full synchro, only 1st does not...if your nice and gentle with the change there should be no problems at all...well thats my few hundrede miles worth...

I have no idea just aht its better than a stalwart and worse than my car...I drive mine very slowly, I do go to 50 mph now and again just to give her a good clean out, but she never runs more than 10 mpg.

some of the engine rebuilds were done with hardened valve seats, think they have the head painted in yellow srtipes or something...if they have not been done then the unleaded fuel will ruin the valves eventually...you need to use the additives for unleaded fuel in unleaded fuel cars etc...you know what I mean.

however they are still prone to drop a valve if you drive them as was intended when attending a fire...on a regular basis...so I certainly recommend gentile driving...I love driving the goddess, no idea why you double de clutch in 2 3 and 4th it has full synchro, only 1st does not...if your nice and gentle with the change there should be no problems at all...well thats my few hundrede miles worth...

Pretty much anything on wheels is better than the poor old Stalwart for fuel consumption :cheesy: Even the tracked OT will do 4.5 mpg+ compared to Little Mauds 2.5 mpg... :red:

Not sure about Goddesses - but we only used 1st on an GS RL if it was loaded. - unladen I was always taught to pull away in second. And the synchro on 2, 3 and 4 was quite good. Unladen. For some reason they handled better double de-clutching on the downshift with a load on board!!