Recommended jeep engine oil

hoppy

Having looked through the site and not being able to find an answer I would like to ask anyone's thoughts on which oil to run in a Hotchkiss engine.

Currently the engine to my jeep has been removed for some work to be done; on refit I would probably be using Morris Golden Film SAE 20W/50 classic motor oil, if there any thoughts on that.

Cheers

OOH! Standby INCOMING!!! If you know the engine is clean I have been very impressed by Halford's semi synthetic 20/50 in my Dodge WC51. The oil pressure stays up better after long runs than straight mineral 20/50. Though the WC54 is on Morris Straight 30, though once the engine has been flushed through a few times I'll probably change.

Morris straight 30 is very good it's what I use in both shell and cast bearings and it's used through out the vintage world.

Having said that good quality modern oils are far superior in terms of viscosity stabilisation to anything that was available 70 years ago so I suspect as long as its a recognised brand it will do fine, stay away from detergent oils and anything that is recycled.

Pete

Pete is spot on, using modern types of oils which contain detergents and dispersants is storing up potential problems because the filtration systems on old vehicles cannot cope. I suggest you go to Morris Lubricants website and look under classic to get the full explanation. This subject seems to come up nearly every week on here.