TV memory test

RecyMech

While walking the dogs the other day....mind & memory drifted back to old TV series with military connections. A test for some oldies here (members that is) I know the answers....just wondered if anyone else here is as ancient as me....

Who said & name the series........"I got my beady eye on you" ?

Who said & name the series........"Up to here in muck & bullets" ?

Who said & name the series........"Fag for the Corporal" ?

Who said & name the series........"Lovely boy"... & ..."I will not have gossip in my jungle" ?

Discuss

H

First one is Bill Fraser as Sgt Major Claude Snudge in The Army Game and later in Bootsie and Snudge

Last one is Windsor Davies as BSM Williams in It Aint Half Hot Mum

Don't remember the other two:???

Who said & name the series........"I got my beady eye on you" ?

I would have said Fulton MacKay to Ronnie Barker in Porridge myself :angel: but then I suppose there is no "Fletcher' on the end.

Windsor Davis and Don Estelle did a season in Jersey in the 1970's. One event they took part in was a series of cahrity go kart races. Windsor Davis , tall built like a brick, very elegant and absloutly charming, would spend time chatting up the woman, the sound of snapping elastic was defening. Don Estele used to slide into our track hut for a cuppa and bit of piece, then come out with the most raucous jokes you have ever heard. We were all in hysterics . Sadly I have only the vaguest memories in Black and White 405 line Redifusion of Bootsie and Smudge.

Well done all. Damn good shows though all of them eh?, & I'd happily watch em all again...& again.

I think Fulton McKay nicked the Beady Eye thing....& if you think about it, sort of put himself across as a bit of a BSM Williams too.

Sgt Snudges victim for the eyeball was usually 'Bootsie' played by Alphie Bass.....a similar character to Gunner Sugden.

Anyone remember Sgt Bilko ? (& his motor pool...based on our LAD MT Section)

Hogans Heros ? (the little German guard "I know nossink")

Rowan & Martins Laugh In...the German hiding behind the tall grass...."Verrrrry interestink, but verrrry stupid"

Happy days !

H

Well done all. Damn good shows though all of them eh?, & I'd happily watch em all again...& again.

I think Fulton McKay nicked the Beady Eye thing....& if you think about it, sort of put himself across as a bit of a BSM Williams too.

Sgt Snudges victim for the eyeball was usually 'Bootsie' played by Alphie Bass.....a similar character to Gunner Sugden.

Anyone remember Sgt Bilko ? (& his motor pool...based on our LAD MT Section)

Hogans Heros ? (the little German guard "I know nossink")

Rowan & Martins Laugh In...the German hiding behind the tall grass...."Verrrrry interestink, but verrrry stupid"

Happy days !

H

Oh yes, they don't make em like that any more. Rowan and Martins Laugh In was a must, had to be home from the pub in time every week. Arte Johnson played Wolfgang , catchphrase was 'Verrrrry interestink..........but shtoopid'. The show also turned Goldie Hawn into a star playing the dumb blonde and Judy Carne whose catch phrase 'Sock it to me' usually caused her to be soaked with a bucket of water, Lily Tomlin also made her name on the show. One recurring courtroom sketch had a judge originally played by a by British actor but later by Sammy Davies jr, the announcer always preceding the sketch with the catch line 'Here come de Judge'

Happy days.

Edited by Degsy

Who said & name the series........"Fag for the Corporal" ?

This was stock. For example I did Guard Commander. Some people would rip the guard apart at guard mounting parade. Me, I had to spend the night in their company so I got them onside as early as possible. Understand that I did not suck up to them or give in to them: I was in charge and I let them know it, but then I'd show them I was human and had been like them once.

So for instance, if I found myself standing on the guard's hair during inspection, I'd speak softly to him in his ear, but with the threat of the big stick and let him know that he needed his hair cut. But it never went into the Occurrences Book or get reported to the RSM: would have meant more work for me. He knew that I knew. He'd had his bite of the cherry: there wouldn't be another.

Then after falling the parade out to the guardroom, Standing Orders decreed that I read to them all, out loud, the Station Standing Orders for the Gate and Prowler Guards. So I did, clearly and loudly and with no room for misinterpretation. (But quickly: see what's coming.) Then I would replace the Standing Orders and tell them words to the effect:

You're all big boys. We've all done this duty often enough. We all know what is required. You don't dick me about, and I shan't dick you about and we can all get through the next 12 hours without drama if we all just screw the bob in. Get away.

Then I'd leave them in the rest room (note to colonial friends: NOT the cludgie), return to the Guard Commander's desk and enter "1800hrs - Inspected the Guard and read Standing Orders to them" in the Occurrences Book.

Then I'd shout through, "Coffee for the Guard Commander (and the NCO I/C Marching Reliefs - my 2IC - if he wanted one)." And they'd fight to make it for me. It's all about Man Management.

As a friend of mine said: "When I commanded the guard in Gibraltar, I was responsible for the Rock. Here, I am responsible if somebody leaves the NAAFI window open after lock-up."