Gravity Feed Fuel Solutions_How did you do yours?

Rover8FFR

Well I guess most people on this forum will have at some point fabricated a gravity feeding fuel device to get their motors turning.

I have heard of the highly technical fabricated tanks to the downright scary and unsafe.

I was wondering if those that have made such a device and keep it stored on that top shelf in the workshop / garage would share their inventions, possibly even post a picture or three.

I am about to make such a device / apparatus myself, but thought I would create this post first, so I could either copy you are adapt a few versions together.

Cheers

Edited by Rover8FFR
typo

Well I guess most people on this forum will have at some point fabricated a gravity feeding fuel device to get their motors turning.

I have heard of the highly technical fabricated tanks to the downright scary and unsafe.

I was wondering if those that have made such a device and keep it stored on that top shelf in the workshop / garage would share their inventions, possibly even post a picture or three.

I am about to make such a device / apparatus myself, but thought I would create this post first, so I could either copy you are adapt a few versions together.

Cheers

Wayne,

assuming your question relates to testing a Land Rover or Humber engine, then you will not need gravity, as you would connect up to the fuel lift pump and run out of a jerrican or similar. Now if you have an engine without a working pump then find a petrol tank of a n old mower or stationary engine, where it has a tap at the bottom.

Richard you are ahead of the game....I am unaware at the moment as to the working condition of pumps on both and to bi-pass was going to gravity feed straight to the carb, so as to get blood into those veins.

The mower engine is a brilliant suggestion. Especially as one of my petrol mowers is for spares........

It is a small sealed unit and can easily be connected and transported....You are a smart cookie. :cool2:

This is exactly the creativity I was looking for.......

Now for all those others reading this out there......what if you haven't got an old mower lying around.......

How did you do yours........??

Coke bottle and a piece of pipe!

That's certainly more Heath Robinson, but thank's for sharing and it obviously worked for you. Looking at the avatar picture I suspect it was a big Coke bottle. :goodidea:

Petrol tank of a motorbike or the like.

Mike

Similar to Richards suggestion Mike. Handy if you have an old CB100 lying around.

I must admit the mower tank / motorcycle tanks sound quite safe and secure if you have them lying around.

Has someone out there fabricated / welded up / soldered something quite bespoke and hasn't shared it yet????

Thanks for responses so far and would be even better with some pictures as well.

1 gallon MoD oil tin with a copper pipe soldered into the bottom corner with a union nipple and nut on the other end connected to a turn tap with a short spout then a length of re-enforced PVC to the carb and bit of binder string round the handle to hang it up on a handy nail.........works for me.

Pete

That's certainly more Heath Robinson, but thank's for sharing and it obviously worked for you. Looking at the avatar picture I suspect it was a big Coke bottle. :goodidea:

We have done the bottle and pipe a few times, just to see if an engine will fire. The safest and easiest way though is to use an adaptor for a jerry can. Works best if you plumb it into the fuel pump, I've used mine loads of times when the fuel tank is full of water or rubbish fuel... especially on CVRTs when you have a 400 litre tank to drain and clean!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALEY-JCA1-Jerry-Can-Adaptor-Single-Tube-/270929908116?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f14ae5194

Chris

Halftrack 014.jpg Diaphram perished in the lift pump, so we fitted an old rotovator fuel tank to the top of the Halftrack "Sun Visor" .......... it holds about 1.5 gallons, so we have plenty to back it out of the workshop and back in again, obviously a temporary measure whilst we do all of the other bits of work...... we have taken the opportunity to clear the fuel tanks out thoroughly and replace them.

The army have used these adaptors for donkeys years, for running the smaller gen sets, such as Onan and Powerlite.

Everyday is a schoolday Richard. Looking at Ebay link, they ain't cheap though! Is a straight forward and practical solution though running a tube from said jerry can fitting to a banjo fitting or even straight on the fuel inlet on the Toastie and Pig, would be very straight forward. Would be easier than stripping the mower.

I am so very glad that I asked the question now.................:goodidea::yay::dancinggirls:

Use an outboard motor fuel tank. They come with a rubber bulb primer pump, and will then syphon OK once the fuel flows. You'll need to remove the connector at the outboard engine end though, as these have a spring loaded valve to stop fuel flow when not connected to the engine fitting.

These are handy tools Wayne if you have a blockage before the filter on a pig they often clear it if you make it a tight fit into the filter inlet pipe banjo ! Saves a mouth full of rather unpleasent mouth wash :-D Bought mine from a local motorfactors for quite a lot more than this fella sells them ! I have not had any dealings with him though ! Will the Pig be moving under her own steam shortly mate ? :-D http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-SYPHON-FUEL-PUMP-PETROL-WATER-DIESEL-OIL-TUBE-/120799544090?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c2036c31a

Edited by AndyFowler
forgot the link !

Will the Pig be moving under her own steam shortly mate ? :-D

Hopefully Andy. She was cranking last time, but no fuel getting through though.

Wanted to try gravity feed as fuel in tanks smelt like very, very old paint / linseed oil. If you catch my drift :cool2:.

Speaking with Clive I could have a defective fuel pump. I have a NOS replacement, but wanted to try the gravity feed option. Putting the new fuel pump is not a 10 minute job, but will be done eventually of course, once we get the engine to run.

Also the plugs were like new and I suspect were put in by Dale over 10 years ago when she last ran. Clive ran them through his 'Walley' plug cleaner gadget and well they are spotless now......

I will also need to whip the carb off and give it a good cleaning internally etc as would have been dry / emulsified with old fuel after that time.

I will of course be buying a round of drinks when she rumbles into life as well as loading onto You Tube!!!!

The only problem with those are that you have to suck the fuel up and over the cap, the can has to be used up right.

This is what I have made cost quite a bit but its the biz.... uses a quick release coupling by the quarter turn tap and a plastic hose as a sight glass.

IMG_5373 (676 x 507).jpg

IMG_5374 (676 x 507).jpg

IMG_5375 (676 x 507).jpg

IMG_5376 (676 x 507).jpg

I will also need to whip the carb off and give it a good cleaning internally etc

Do it over a high lipped tray. It is very easy to lose your glass balls, they are no more than 3mm diam. Take lots of pictures especially of the choke mechanism as it has ambiguity.

Although that does all need to be done at some stage. You have nothing to lose trying to run it with the drip feed as it is. We got the three restorable Humbers that were at home to run this way & they had been idle for a similar decade I should think. The only issue I had was one of the Pigs had a sticking needle valve or float spindle, but that was corrected with a hide hammer until it freed up.

Do it over a high lipped tray. It is very easy to lose your glass balls, they are no more than 3mm diam. Take lots of pictures especially of the choke mechanism as it has ambiguity.

Although that does all need to be done at some stage. You have nothing to lose trying to run it with the drip feed as it is. We got the three restorable Humbers that were at home to run this way & they had been idle for a similar decade I should think. The only issue I had was one of the Pigs had a sticking needle valve or float spindle, but that was corrected with a hide hammer until it freed up.

Yes Clive I remember the You Tube clips and was hoping for a similar outcome I must admit. The gravity feed is the first point of call and then the necessary stripping and cleaning. I remember very well those Glass balls and also the rimmed tray etc. I will also be doing that job in the house, just incase. If those little marbles went boing then in the garage I would have 'No Chance' of recovery as they say!

:cool2:

The only problem with those are that you have to suck the fuel up and over the cap, the can has to be used up right.

This is what I have made cost quite a bit but its the biz.... uses a quick release coupling by the quarter turn tap and a plastic hose as a sight glass.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61790[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61791[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61792[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61793[/ATTACH]

As they say in the Regt.............That's GUCCI...:wow::wow::wow: