Ferguson tractor

16 BY 36 (rear).jpg

16 BY 36.jpg

This Ferguson TE tractor was at the Llandudno Transport Rally yesterday.

The owner found it derelict at Donnington Depot and has restored it to its present condition.

Has anyone any history on it for the owner? The plate reads -

Ministry of Supply

TRACTOR 4x4 C.L. FERGUSON TE - D20

Chassis No. TED224422 Contract No. 6/VEH/8181

Vehicle No. 16 BY 36

This Ferguson TE tractor was at the Llandudno Transport Rally yesterday.

The owner found it derelict at Donnington Depot and has restored it to its present condition.

Has anyone any history on it for the owner? The plate reads -

Ministry of Supply

TRACTOR 4x4 C.L. FERGUSON TE - D20

Chassis No. TED224422 Contract No. 6/VEH/8181

Vehicle No. 16 BY 36

Hi Dusty,

This Fergie was built in 1951, and is a Vapourising Oil version. Not an Industrial model, it was probably used for mowing and other groundwork on military sites, part of a contract for a number of them. Where I worked, for army, they once had an Industrial Massey Ferguson 35, that was normally used for collecting the scrap metal, also used for snow clearing as well.

I never understood why the army did not make use of tractors, fabulous piece of cross country equipment. In the 1950s when we were breaking military trucks (Slap on the wrist) we sold rear drive axles to the farmers in North Devon. They used them on their trailers and ran a propshaft from the tractor P.T.O. to give them traction up those North Devon hills.

The drive would not be synchronized between the tractor drive wheels and the now driven wheels of the trailer, but that did not matter on wet ground.............. necessity is the mother of invention they say, and the North Devon farmers soon worked that one out. ( I used tractors for most of my time in business, always enjoyed working them.)