Hi From The witch

Hello all..

I am interested in a scammel that was used by EARAT .. someone on the forum boards has a photo of the machine in dover... My dad is amost certainly the driver. I would love to see it.

I have a photo of the machine and her minders working. Dad cant remeber where the pic was taken. I would be happy to share if any one wants to see it.

If any one want to know about the beast I can remember quite a lot about it and what i cant remember i can get it from the horses mouth..

Tina x

Hello all..

I am interested in a scammel that was used by EARAT .. someone on the forum boards has a photo of the machine in dover... My dad is amost certainly the driver. I would love to see it.

I have a photo of the machine and her minders working. Dad cant remeber where the pic was taken. I would be happy to share if any one wants to see it.

If any one want to know about the beast I can remember quite a lot about it and what i cant remember i can get it from the horses mouth..

Tina x

hi Tina,

I remember the EARAT Scammell towing a road planer. It worked regularly in my part of Kent in the 1960's, sadly I did not have a camera then. I recall it was the gun tractor version with a large fuel tank in the back of it. Painted red, the lettering was something like "East Anglian Raodstone & Transport". They also had an Austin or Morris lorry with canvas cover back towing the living van. Would like to see your photo please.

regards, Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant

hi Tina,

I remember the EARAT Scammell towing a road planer. It worked regularly in my part of Kent in the 1960's, sadly I did not have a camera then. I recall it was the gun tractor version with a large fuel tank in the back of it. Painted red, the lettering was something like "East Anglian Raodstone & Transport". They also had an Austin or Morris lorry with canvas cover back towing the living van. Would like to see your photo please.

regards, Richard

Yeap thats the beast... the pic i have show the whole thing working which at the time was the longest thing on British roads.

I havent got a pic of the caravan, it was a bit grim as i remember... I will try n work out how to post the photo in the morning.

Ok lets see if this works.. If its in the wrong place please move to the right place or say so i can move it.

The first one is the whole thing together.... No lifter on this, it had to be shoveled by hand.

Second one is a detail of the actual machine..

My dad is taking the pics

Dads Machine1.jpg

Dads machine 2.jpg

hi Tina,

It look like that Scammell Pioneer, was originally a tank transporter tractor, not the one I remember, which was a gun tractor, not so high. Think this photo is from an earlier period, going by the Austin K4 Series1 tipper in the top picture. Nice to see the outfit, thanks for sharing it.

Hello all..

Tina x

Welcome! Pics are always appreciated and the Scammel is a handsome beast....

Hi Tina, welcome aboard. Excellent pics.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but like Richard I remember seeing the road planing/burning teams around the county, when I was a young boy in the sixties, similar but not the same as in your picture.

They fascinated me, I thought they were an incredible machine to watch, like some pre-historic monster. What with the noise, the smell of the hot tar, and a whole team of blokes chasing around working the thing.

I seem to remember there was several of these machines, the Scammell prime movers were painted orange and had a big white number on them, 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on. Could do with K.C.C bringing them out again, get some of the counties potholes fixed properly

Edited by Zero-Five-Two

This pic is of the first of this genaration.. it was built who knows when but it came off the road late 60's very early 70's, The next one was a self propelled all in one job that was a heating and planeing.. in fact like a slow moving bomb, it was full of diesle... it was a Tractor unit and a business bit all in one articulated machine.. its speciality was going around roundabouts the wrong way cos it was so long.. It had a lifter and TOWED the truck that collected it. It caused quite a stir when she had 3 weeks outside my school. I was suddenly the most popular girl in the school..(2 faced little gits)

Then last week i saw the new machine.. all hydrolic rams, tungstan tipped drum. about a 3rd of the size and very speedy...

The smell of deisel and hot tarmac takes me back to my childhood in seconds.. love it.

Sorry to bored you all to death.. and we have only just met:-D

Hi Tina, welcome aboard. Excellent pics.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but like Richard I remember seeing the road planing/burning teams around the county, when I was a young boy in the sixties, similar but not the same as in your picture.

They fascinated me, I thought they were an incredible machine to watch, like some pre-historic monster. What with the noise, the smell of the hot tar, and a whole team of blokes chasing around working the thing.

I seem to remember there was several of these machines, the Scammell prime movers were painted orange and had a big white number on them, 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on. Could do with K.C.C bringing them out again, get some of the counties potholes fixed properly

Rob,

The Scammells were originally painted red and signwritten with E.A.R.A.T. details and some sort of logo/badge if I recollect. The last time I saw one working, I feel sure the colour might have been orange as they were part of the Tilbury Group and i think it may have been their corporate colour. Tina will no doubt know. Yes, the smell of hot tar, brings make memories of proper road repairing!

I cant remember what colour earat was but i know Tilbury was bright orange.. my pa was less than impressed, they had to wear bright orange overalls but having said that it saved foreman Jacks life as it made them imposable to miss while they where working..

Thank you all for your interest, i will tell my dad that he had fans when he was in kent..:D