WC51 Restoration

protacman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proctaman, not sure what you are sulking about, pls keep the pictures coming of the benches and fixings, lids and so on they are quite useful, at least for me :-)

Göran, I chose white oak. Got it through one of my neighbours who is a carpenter. He told me that the white oak is actually cheaper than oak, here in Sweden at least. So he cut the floor boards to size for me according to the drawings on the wc-52.com site, I then have to do the painting, drilling and resessing. Started out by painting them, just to see how the paint turned out :

DSC_0005.jpg

I have a suspicion the bed sides which came with the truck are the original 70 year old ones. They are a bit rough but look OK after some sanding down and painting. Very little rot.

DSC_0011.jpg

And in order not to steal anymore attention from proctaman's thread I think I'll start my own soon :-)

/Peter

DSC_0008.jpg

Davs Peter,

You chose the correct type of Oak, actually. The originals where made out of California White Oak (among other hardwoods).

I'll be keeping the wood on the sides of my bed too, as they also seem to be original from the factory, plus the fact that they're in good condition, just needing a sanding and re paint.

I'll be coming your way later in July, with my WC51 plus Willys MBT, after our shake down cruise around the Battle of the Bulge areas in Belgium. I'll be heading back and will take the opportunity to show you my Dodge in all its new glory. :-)

Göran

Ok , you lot, I'm back from Rome..... Took my wife away for the weekend.

I think Oak will be very nice.

I WAS SULKING BECAUSE NO ONE GOT THE "WENCH" JOKE.....

please insert laughter here.......

now back to work......

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, quit the messing back, to work....

016.jpg

Front Axle finished and painted, Wing and Engine shields re installed.

013.jpg

Windscreen wipers installed and working

001.jpg

Frost plug replaced in head

007.jpg

Bin lids re manufactured and installed

019.jpg

And floor welded

020.jpg

In Three Days.......ha...... And now to Bed

Urgent, got a real problem

Paint delivered from the UK appears to be to BROWN against older batch, really brown.

It is Tony sudds m11 ,same as my last paint, but way different.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Photo0144.jpg

or am I wrong?

ps, stirred it really well... before you ask

Shade on the lid is the same...

Edited by protacman

I'm afraid paint batches do differ, sometimes quite substantially.

Best bet is to get a sample taken from parts that you already have painted and let a paint shop match that.

This is why it's best to order enough paint to last for the whole vehicle, and have some left afterwards....

I'm sorry,

Goran N

Looks a very good colour that.

I got in a right old muddle with paint after the source of my preferred shade dried up. I ended up mixing two shades of Frank Burberry 50/50, but even now am not convinced. I just cannot find the right shade.

I know it shouldn't matter that much (when you get a load of vehicles with different paint together even the ones you thought looked awful on their own seem to be just fine :-)) - but somehow it does matter :angry

As long as it's a shade of Olive Drab it's down to personal preference. Contrary to what the rivet counters would have you believe it was impossible when Uncle Sam had over 140 different firms supplying paint to control the shade. Manufacturer's different batch shades can vary even today with modern computer control and colour was also affected with whatever was used and the quantity to thin it prior to spraying, in the field usually petrol and as long it was a shade of olive drab nobody cared, there was a war on.:yawn:

As long as it's a shade of Olive Drab it's down to personal preference. Contrary to what the rivet counters would have you believe it was impossible when Uncle Sam had over 140 different firms supplying paint to control the shade. Manufacturer's different batch shades can vary even today with modern computer control and colour was also affected with whatever was used and the quantity to thin it prior to spraying, in the field usually petrol and as long it was a shade of olive drab nobody cared, there was a war on.:yawn:

I think it even more complicated than that. As I understand it during full production some vehicles were assembled from components that arrived as the factory pre-painted from different manufacturers in different parts of the US, so you might find fenders, hoods, and so on that did not exactly match the body panels. That's on top of the common items you would expect to be subtly different, like jerry can carriers, rifle brackets, headlights and taillights, etc.

I think it even more complicated than that. As I understand it during full production some vehicles were assembled from components that arrived as the factory pre-painted from different manufacturers in different parts of the US, so you might find fenders, hoods, and so on that did not exactly match the body panels. That's on top of the common items you would expect to be subtly different, like jerry can carriers, rifle brackets, headlights and taillights, etc.

On the grounds, 'Who cares what coulour it is? There's a war on'. :D