Breakdown Cover

Meteor mark 4B

I have always had breakdown cover. When I bought my Land Rover in 2002 I added that to the cover. No worries with the age of the vehicle. My current premium is £105 for two vehicles, including recovery. I have looked about on line for other deals, and the £105 appears to be competitive enough. Other company's offer this and that, but when you have added all the details, the price is much the same. Some will not cover vehicles pre-1987. (Green Flag for one). Is there someone in the recovery business out there I don't know about?

Have you tried Britannia Rescue.

They cover us for both the car and the Land Rover.

We pay about £70 a year which is basicaly UK Assistance and Recovery, but not home. Also covers us for other vehicles we use or travel in.

They recovers the 109 no problem when it went onto 3 cylinders about 18 month ago.

Give them a go. Cannot guarantee what proce you will get as we get discount as wife is a member of the CSMA.

Mike

I have always had breakdown cover. When I bought my Land Rover in 2002 I added that to the cover. No worries with the age of the vehicle. My current premium is £105 for two vehicles, including recovery. I have looked about on line for other deals, and the £105 appears to be competitive enough. Other company's offer this and that, but when you have added all the details, the price is much the same. Some will not cover vehicles pre-1987. (Green Flag for one). Is there someone in the recovery business out there I don't know about?

Green flag happily cover my 1944 Dodge.

I've always used Green Flag since it was National Breackdown and before. I have only ever had one query with them over the years, and that was sorted out so fast my head span. They were also offering £10 if they did not get to you in an hour. I had a call out after the 1987 hurricane which took the agent two hours to get there due to roads being closed. The company wanted me to accept the £10. I didn't on the grounds the AA at the time were quoting at least an eight hour wait, and given conditions two hours was little short of miraculous. I have a personal cover for everything on any vehicle.

Don't ask how much it costs I can't remeber! it's around the £100/£110 mark. They also go above and beyond. For various reasons I wa stuck with a broken down MAN truck at two in the morning in a very ugly situation. Greenflag not only found me a HGV mechanic, he had the nonce to come up with most the bizzare and effective repairs I've ever seen. A pice of stick from the hedge and a cable tie! It got us out of the area thankfully very fast.

Guess it's time to come clean with my guilty secret.

Despite having invested a large sum of cash to get my Snatch land rover sorted and MoTd it started making funny noises not long after I collected it. Couldn't see anything obvious and thought it was something minor like a loose heat shield rattling. However after 150 miles it was beginning to sound really unpleasant and did some test with dropping the clutch and coasting etc and decided it was the gearbox/transfer box. with another 600 miles to go, and getting late I decided to get off the motorway and call the AA.

Patrol man appeared in less than 20mins, collected onto the back of a recovery truck in less than 45 mins and on my way home. Unfortunately AA keep their guys to a home depot so had to change driver after a few hours, but was kept informed all the way home on what was going on being planned. They couldn't arrange for a direct changeover at about 2-3 in the morning in Perth so offered to place me in a hotel in Glasgow for free. Driver wasn't keen on leaving the Snatch in the centre of Glasgow overnight so it was taken away to a secure compound. Collected in the morning after breakfast by a fresh driver with the Landy on board then straight through to Inverness to be handed over to a private contractor for the final 110 ish miles. Based on my experience I can't recommend the AA enough. At every handover the next truck and driver were ready and waiting at the handover point. The cost of recovery (when I checked recently on my renewal) was just over £5 a month on direct debit and covers me for whatever I'm in even as a passenger.

No intention of changing from the AA :-D

Funny old business! I used RAC a couple of years back to recover LR and they were excellent! Rang Green Flag today, eventually got through to correct dept, and I wasn't really filled with confidence. In spite of what it says when applying on line, (no vehicles pre-1987), they do actually cover older stuff. Oh well.......

Funny old business! I used RAC a couple of years back to recover LR and they were excellent! Rang Green Flag today, eventually got through to correct dept, and I wasn't really filled with confidence. In spite of what it says when applying on line, (no vehicles pre-1987), they do actually cover older stuff. Oh well.......

I have nothing but praise for Greenflag, unlike the 4th emergency service, average respose times about 4 hours, if they can finally locate the M25. The other thing with Greenflag is the vehicle that comes out, if they can't fix it the same vehicle recovers you all the way.

The family and I have had cause to use the RAC probably 6 or so times in the past 5 years, they have always been there within 45 minutes, if a fix has been possible at the roadside then they've done it (although they aren't cheap on roadside parts, £50 for a £19 ignition coil) or recovery to wherever in the country no problem.

I have the full cover for my family, 4 drivers (with cover for when we're passengers) and whatever vehicle, excluding commercials but including classics, all for £140 (ish) a year.

Only went with the RAC as I'd had problems with the AA, but to be honest I reckon they are all the same anyway and it just depends on the mood of the guy who turns up on the day!

I think that breakdown cover is one of those things that is rather random, you either have a good experience ot a bad one. These tend to be what you remember.

Before Britannia I was with the RAC and I only really go by the last time when they left me for 3 hours using some lame excuse that they could not mind me. The rest of the world could on an A road at a double mini roundabout.. The first was a 2.4 hour wait for a recovery truck as they did not believe me when I told them it would need one as the crank was broken, "We can probably fix it" was there response.

The AA put my brothers Peugeot205 S16 off the road for the best part of 2 weeks after using brute force and ignorance to fit a clucch cable. They somehow managed to break the connection on the heater matrix.

The fact he had to wait 3 hours for a recovery on a Chevy Blazer was kind of his fault as it was a bit wide with 36" tall tyres. Would not fit in the rollers for MOT test and only just on the ramp.

Casically you pay your money and take your chances. Hopefully you do not need to use it.

Mike

PS: If you have a 24v Landy tell them as no one will try to solve the dropped cylinder and they just send a recovery truck.

In a past life i worked for the AA for a long time and we always did our best for members but as we are talking MV's be aware that they do/did have length and width restrictions but the one that would mostly like catch us out would be the NATO towing eye e.g your landy packs up and need recovery well what would cause a problem as i would guess that no one has a jaw to attach the trailer if it cannot be loaded onto the bed with say a 109.

May well be worth checking the terms and conditions as when i worked for them if it did not have a standard 50mm ball hitch all they could offer was seperate recovery for the trailer which you had to pay for and would guess that this would apply to GF,RAC etc,things may have changed but is still worth checking or i suppose you could try some beer vouchers.....

I've been with NCI now known as Rescuemycar.com for years with cars, bikes and Landrovers, never had a problem, had a cam belt go in Shetland on a May bank holiday and still got sorted.

I've got cover with F.J. included in my insurance with this Landrover, but wife still has it on her car, got fed up with paying out every year and no break-downs, we know have a registration fee cover for £18 and only pay £40 in the event of a call-out including National recovery.