Gun portee

25 pounder

Pictures and details in oop book

"Outlines WP2

25 pounder gun part 2"

Trial July1943 fired from vehicle and project terminated in September same year WVEE557 Ford 4X4

The LRDG also trialed one on a Mack NR4 10 ton 6X4 also not followd up with If I can find the book I will post more details there was also talk of a AEC Materdor with cab removed but I have no details of that one

Pictures and details in oop book

"Outlines WP2

25 pounder gun part 2"

Trial July1943 fired from vehicle and project terminated in September same year WVEE557 Ford 4X4

The LRDG also trialed one on a Mack NR4 10 ton 6X4 also not followd up with If I can find the book I will post more details there was also talk of a AEC Materdor with cab removed but I have no details of that one

I have pictures of the prototype somewhere,I will have a look and upload them.

Rob....................rnixartillery.

Thanks Rob , that 's the one I was looking for , great design but not very practical I think !

Are there any records about how many have been made , and did they actually see service" on the field" ?

And what about the limber , was it transported on a truck or simply towed behind ?

Ford produced one prototype and trialled it in July 1943 including firing the gun from the trucks platform,the gun turned out to be too heavy for the vehicle and with no space to store ammunition the project was scraped by Septemer 1943.

Not surprising by the look of it ! :wow:

Rob..................rnixartillery.

Purely by looking at it, all the weight of the gun is behind the truck's rear axle. I would have thought that would have made

the steering 'quite light' ! A bit dodgy on wet roads, perhaps?

'Chas.'

Every thing is wrong about this design,no wonder it didn't get anywhere.firing this gun from the truck bed would snap the leaf springs and possible the chasis,!It might have worked if they built the portee on a 6x6 AEC Matador !

Rob.........................rnixartillery.