Milweb scam

Enigma

My Dodge is on Milweb and I got a reply which I recognised as a probable scam right away.

I'll put the emails here.

How are you doing.I hope you doing fine and your family.I am writing you to

let you know that i am interested in buying the above advert for sale and

pls kindly get back to me with present condition ,price and pictures of it

for me to see. I hope to read from you again with the required

details about it from you.

Sorensen Silo G.

soren_silo@yahoo.com"

Hi Sorensen

The vehicle is OK, ready to drive!

I am asking 22 000 euro.

Here pictures.

If you need specific info, just email.

"Thanks for your mail back of which i am so much happy because i am satisfied,impressed and happy you still have it for sale.I want you to know that yes the money for it will be delivered to your location before the Dodge WC 21, 1/2 ton Pick Upwill be collected of course.

I will like to pay the full amount of 22.000 Euros for the Vehicle plus an extra 50 euros for you to keep other buyers off and 10 euros to have it deleted till it is picked up by this agent.

To reduce your stress in the shipping aspect for me because my Agent will come to your location/your house to collect from you ,i would like you to know that my mode of payment would go like this as it would be easy for both of us and safe.

About the payment,Can i trust you? to have my banker send you a bankers draft {cheque} of the sum of 18.850 €uros and when you receive this cheque,you are to proceed to your bank with the cheque and have the money cleared and then you deduct your own total amount of money.

And you have taken your own money,the remaining balance left after you might have deduct your own money should be sent/wired to my agent that will come to your house to collect it for me..

The balance/remaining money will be used as the transport fare and some other expenses that might be involved during the shipment of it and some other things i bought for my family.

If yes,so kindly get back to me with your details below :

YOUR FULL NAMES as to appear on the payment :

HOME ADDRESS :

POST CODE :

Phone number {home}

Mobile number :

I await for your soonest response.

Rgds.

Sorensen Silo G.

soren_silo@yahoo.com"

The biggest scam on milweb is that if you put more than a couple of adverts on there they think you are a dealer and expect you to pay the same fees as all the other dealers. I have been unable to advertise anything on there for the last year because I refuse to pay £80 a year.

Chris

I had the same sort of scam a while ago. I advertised something on Milweb for £150. After a few e-mails simillar to those that Enigma had, I recieved a cheque from an Italian bank but the postal stamp was from Egypt! And it was for £2000 and he wanted me to cash it and send him the difference!

I spoke to Nigel at Milweb and he confirmed that it was a scam and to ignore it. I ended up just stringing the guy along to waste his time. He even came up with the excuse that his agent had sent the cheque and that he had now sacked him for the mistake and the agent pleaded with him for his job back as he had to support his family!!!!! It made quite amusing reading!

It's a shame that some people fall for these.

BTW, I've never had any problems with putting a number of adverts on Milweb. I didn't know they would charge you £80.

I spoke to Nigel at Milweb and he confirmed that it was a scam and to ignore it. I ended up just stringing the guy along to waste his time. He even came up with the excuse that his agent had sent the cheque and that he had now sacked him for the mistake and the agent pleaded with him for his job back as he had to support his family!!!!! It made quite amusing reading!

Perfect! That is just how I would handle it, I would make the idiot work for his money. Or ask him why he can't BACS it into your account.

The biggest scam on milweb is that if you put more than a couple of adverts on there they think you are a dealer and expect you to pay the same fees as all the other dealers. I have been unable to advertise anything on there for the last year because I refuse to pay £80 a year.

Chris

yep they did the same with my mate..

Chris

:dunno: he's just trying to make money like everyone else who sells things or offers services, after all the site is free for most people and does cost him money to run (pot and kettle :? :whistle:)

:dunno: he's just trying to make money like everyone else who sells things or offers services, after all the site is free for most people and does cost him money to run (pot and kettle :? :whistle:)

Where else can we place a free ad to sell off those odds and ends we no longer want or want to look for those bits we need and where hundreds, if not thousands, of people look at?

Other than the one attempted scam (which I could also have had from other forms of advertisments) I've found the website very easy and successful. This hobby would be a great deal "poorer" without Milweb.

My point, John, was that I should not be expected to pay the same as Withams, Marcus Glenn and all the other dealers who make a living from it. I do this for a hobby - to them £80 a year is nothing, to me it is a lot. For £80 I would expect a professional, modern website where I could log in and manage my adverts, remove them myself when items were sold etc. Instead for £80 I get something which looked old 10 years ago and a big hole in my pocket. I do check milweb every day, but it really does make me cringe.

Chris

Where else can we place a free ad to sell off those odds and ends we no longer want or want to look for those bits we need and where hundreds, if not thousands, of people look at?

Other than the one attempted scam (which I could also have had from other forms of advertisments) I've found the website very easy and successful. This hobby would be a great deal "poorer" without Milweb.

Ebay? It's not free but you don't get half as many Nigerians, and people who say they'll have it and then vanish.

Before I put any ads on milweb I had no spam. After a couple of adverts it now is 100-120 spams a day. Although I preview at the server on Mailwasher Pro I then bounce it and report it, but its such a pain.

Clive,

Same here, both email addresses that have been on Milweb, generate untold spam. Luckily with BT Yahoo, they have system whereby 98% of this unwanted mail is sorted out from your inbox, unfortunately there is the odd genuine message sometimes and you have to check through all this crap. The best solution is to have a dedicated email address for using on sites such as Milweb, to save cluttering up your normal address.

Richard

Richard

I realised that too late. I do actually have a second email address which is spam free. I am reluctant to dump the original not just because it combines pig & humber in the address, but occasionally someone who I gave a card to say at a show will surface years later with info or something.

I was toying with having a system that uses disposable email addresses, you would just use it in an ad once, or give one person just the one address. Then the addresses that generate spam, you just delete forever ;-).

Clive

I'm a bit wary of HotMail - too many viruses can turn up that way.

I use this place: http://www.another.com - you have to pay a yearly fee but you can have up to xx can;t recall the number now - but mines up around the 6 mark) e-mail addresses for that plus they participate in anti-spammer amd anti-virus procedures.

I'm a bit wary of HotMail - too many viruses can turn up that way.

I use this place: http://www.another.com - you have to pay a yearly fee but you can have up to xx can;t recall the number now - but mines up around the 6 mark) e-mail addresses for that plus they participate in anti-spammer amd anti-virus procedures.

Never had a virus attack through hotmail :-)