Petrol Tank cleaning

44GPW

Question

Hi guys,

One of the fuel tanks on my MW has not been used for many years and is rusty internally so I need to get it cleaned. I assume chemical dipping is the best course of action? Anybody had this done or cleaned the inside of a fuel tank using a different method?

Thanks

Richard

18 answers to this question

I already had the Marine Clean and just bought the sealant. You'll need to get the tank really clean and fill any large holes first. But yes it works really well. The MW tank I did had sat outside since the 70s with the cap off. I stripped all the paint off the outside, made sure the inside was clean and very dry, then used the sealant on it and it's been fine. Same with the M151 tank. The sealant forms a layer on the inside providing you keep it rotating and ensure it covers everywhere.

Chris

If I may hi-jack in. Chris as luck would have it, this evening I have had to remove the tank from the Shorland that has a weeping leak around one edge & I was looking for something like this.

The base was pretty rotten & I had a new base brazed or silver soldered in 25 years ago. So there is no grot just a weep through a seam.

Is it necessary to have this sealer flow entirely around the whole of the tank ?

Or can I just flow it around the edges to protect the seems, or is it important that there is no edge to it?

If that is important, I'm not sure how to cope with protecting the central drain hole which I might need to use in the future.

I was just hoping to swirl the cheap kit which I think is under £10 around the deges, or is there a risk of creepage underneath the sealer?

Many thanks

I already had the Marine Clean and just bought the sealant. You'll need to get the tank really clean and fill any large holes first. But yes it works really well. The MW tank I did had sat outside since the 70s with the cap off. I stripped all the paint off the outside, made sure the inside was clean and very dry, then used the sealant on it and it's been fine. Same with the M151 tank. The sealant forms a layer on the inside providing you keep it rotating and ensure it covers everywhere.

Chris

So, the Marine clean does not remove the rust, just cleans it? You then cover the rust with the sealant....correct?

Richard

My favourite starting procedure is to strap the tank to the front of a concrete mixer after putting in the bits from one or more toughened glass windows.

Half an hour of churning with glass fragments inside really cleans out all the junk, and you can wash and re-use them. Don't have any broken toughened glass ? Your local scrapyard would be delighted if you took some away....

I did coat the inside of the tank when cleaned but don't really remember the product name - something like RUSTBUSTER I'm sure.

I've used the resin system as well and, as others say, it works well. However, it depends just how rusty the tank is. The main prob is that you cannot really tell as you can't see in! I use a place in the local town which pressure washes, trucks first with detergent/aggitator which they leave on for 15 mins, then high pressure wash with boiling water. This flushes out all the loose stuff and then I put it in front of a jet worshop heater to dry out. Finally run some diesel around the inside to stop corrosion. At least if you've done this the resin is going into the cleanest environment. Experience with motorbike tanks has shown that sometimes the edges of the resin (if you haven't got it all the way round the tank) can start to break off after soem years and you start dragging crap thro your fuel system with obvious results. Hope this helps. Simon

Depending on how bad the weep is Petro Patch is extremly effective. It comsits of a resin and and material layed over the leack.

Tony thank you as it is a slight but defined leak that might be the way to go. Although I don't need to patch it, but I see there is a putty version.

Although I was tempted to buy the Frost kit for a motorcycle tank & treat all of the edges in case another defect was brewing. The kit I had in mind had the deep cleaner & de-rusting preparation mixture with a modest quantity of sealant.

Can anyone tell me if the Frost sealer could be used in this way, ie just painted on around the inner edges. Is there a problem with having an edge where the sealant finishes or must one cover everything to create a total inner lining?

Eve all, just spotted this thread , and can strongly recomend the tank repair kit from frost , having carried out a full refubishment on both my humber pig tanks saved a lot of time , money and hassle

Both tanks had been left with there caps open allowing water or perhaps condensation to collect , the insides were rusty , mouldy and i thought my pig would be a right off with no fuel tanks

Following the instructions on the frost website is crucial and if you take your tine you will not be dissapoointed , just one thing make sure the insides are bone dry , i left mine to sit a couple if weeks in a boiler room to totally dry out , if you miss this point your wasting your time and money.

It sealed a leaking edge and numerious pinholes that only became apparent with the cleaning process

The sealer is runnier than you would think and gets into all the nooks and crannies , over under and cotes the baffels as well.

Jamie

Jamie what did you do with the drain plugs?

Did you ignore them & just ensure total coverage with the coating?

I imagine trying to maintain access to the drain plug would run the risk of disturbing the coating's integrity when you unscrew the plug?

Jamie what did you do with the drain plugs?

Did you ignore them & just ensure total coverage with the coating?

I imagine trying to maintain access to the drain plug would run the risk of disturbing the coating's integrity when you unscrew the plug?

Clive,

Many years ago I had to seal a motorcycle petrol tank, I recall the instructions were to remove the petrol tap and coat thread in tank with grease and plug the hole with a wooden plug I think, anyhow, that is what i did, with no issues afterwards. So this would be a similar exercise with your Rover tank.

regards, Richard

Clive,

Many years ago I had to seal a motorcycle petrol tank, I recall the instructions were to remove the petrol tap and coat thread in tank with grease and plug the hole with a wooden plug I think, anyhow, that is what i did, with no issues afterwards. So this would be a similar exercise with your Rover tank.

regards, Richard

I did the same with a motorcycle tank............ no issues up to date, approximately 2 years ago.