44GPW

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all,

Tomorrow i become the owner of a 1944 Bedford MWD. Just wanted to share my excitment :D

Photos and lots of questions to follow!!

Richard

Hallo Richard,

its nice, congratulation!!!

Im long time enthusiast fo MW,

you have pctures yours MW?

I have MWD, MWC and three more MW chassis for reconstruction.

Many happy time with MWD!

TOM

Hi Guys,

Well after a busy day i finally got my MW home and squeezed it into the garage with my Jeep and Jeep project.

Nice original RAF MW, i'm sure some of you will be familar with it. Lots of good bits and some not so good, but i wanted something that needed a bit of tidying up, so its perfect for me.

Only a couple of photos as i ran out of time, but will add some more detailed photos next week.

A couple of questions.

1. Is anyone doing replacement wiring looms?

2. Are the door stop straps supposed to be leather or webbing (a photo would be really helpful).

3. Handbrake gator -does this fix to the floor with a plate like a Jeep, or just screwed through the canvas (again, a photo would really help.

Thanks

Richard

108_8583.jpg108_8585.jpg

Niiice! Welcome to the MW owner fraternity. I am a newbie to it myself so will let the experts answer your questions.

That GS body is absolutly wrong though, as a favour I would be willing to remove it for you ;):cool2:.

Seriously though, all the best, hope to see more pics soon.

Paul.

Thanks guys.

Got answers to questions 2 & 3 but does anyone know of a replacement wiring loom manufacturer? Can make my own but would rather buy one already done if available.

Found some bits at Stoneleigh today, the correct NOS Solex Carb, a pair of NOS seat covers, Manifold gasket and a pair of small period reflectors.

Need to do something with the steering wheel which is in very poor condition and missing its centre. Long term I will restore it but short term I will search for a replacement. Anyone know where there is one for sale? Is it the same wheel as used on other Bedfords like the OY etc?

Thanks

Richard

Got answers to questions 2 & 3 but does anyone know of a replacement wiring loom manufacturer? Can make my own but would rather buy one already done if available.

Hi Richard,

Try Auto Sparks Ltd. for a wiring harness, made to order from original pattern. I had one for a MW from them about 12 years back when restoring one. Be warned that this means only one rear light on an original. I took the harness to a waterproof junction box hidden in rear of chassis, then made a harness for the rear light to suit my particular choice of lamps and position of them. Very good quality, modern pvc cable with coloured woven covering in the correct colour codes to suit the diagram.

regards, Richard

Thanks Julian, and good to see you at Stoneleigh yesterday.

Yes, had a chat with him. He retires in June, so need to get it sorted before then. Price seems resonable and he knows his stuff so may well go for it. I think its just the front Canvas i will replace. Mine, although original, is tatty and no longer has its Canvas support straps.

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

I've been given the following two options from Autosparks.

BF14c BB 40/44 15cwt MW General Purpose

BF23c BB 40/45 "MW (7067035)" With CAV Control Box & Brake Lights

Any idea which one i need please?

Thanks

Richard

Richard,

I've been given the following two options from Autosparks.

BF14c BB 40/44 15cwt MW General Purpose

BF23c BB 40/45 "MW (7067035)" With CAV Control Box & Brake Lights

Any idea which one i need please?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

I would go for the lower harness as you should have a CAV control box and will need brake lights. You will also need a flasher circuit, which can be incorporated, but they will need to know where the switch and lamps are to get the bable length, best discuss it with them, they were very helpful on two harnesses they made for me.

regards, Richard

Richard,

What is the CAV control box (just so i know what i'm talking about when i speak to them!!)

There is a small black box marked Rubbolite under the body of my MW, just above the rear axle. Is this a CAV control box?

Thanks

Richard

Thanks Jules,

I assume i will have the choice to renew the original or use it?

Richard

Richard,

they mention the CAV regulator / control box, only so you get the correct loom, it is not supplied. it is best to get the box and dynamo checked by an auto electrician, if you suspect it, then you will be sure everything is correct when you rewire.

regards, Richard

Hello Snort,

Yes, the PO said it came from Ely way.

I'm very pleased with it so far. Lots of bits to sort, the wiring mainly, but all in all its just what i wanted.

Be interested in anything you can tell me about it? PM me if you have any info.

Thanks

Richard

Hello Richard,

The handbrake gaiter is held in place by two metal strips, running along the long sides of the gaiter. These are on top of the gaiter screwed through the floor with self tappers. The plates are about 1/8" thick, 3/8" wide and the lenght of the gaiter. There will probably be the small holes for the self tappers in your floor.

Regards rippo

Thanks Rippo,

If you could measure the length of yours I would really appreciate it. Is there a Gator on the gear stick as well? There are holes for the handbrake one in the floor I believe.

Thanks

Richard