Bedford MW

44GPW

The new "correct" Manifold and Carb assembly restored and ready to go on this coming Saturday.

1088729.jpg

By armyspecial at 2012-04-111088730.jpg

By armyspecial at 2012-04-11

Please send me know contantact , web side or mail address ,on this Auto sparkes,

look for this new wiring set, thank you very much, Tom Higgins

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally fitted my shovel holder and 43 dated shovel, plus the Butler BO lights i bought a couple of weeks ago. Also added a few RAF bits and pieces to liven up the cab a little. Really pleased how my MW looks and drives now. Last jobs really are to find or make the water can holder and also to sort out the rear hoops as mine are made from gas pipe. Does anyone know what the bracket is to the right of the shovel??

5dqs.jpg

jk6m.jpg

1xt2.jpg

Looks smashing! The extras really finish off our trucks.

I'm not sure what the bracket is for, I'm sure Rippo will pop in and tell us though.

I too need to make some hoops. Perhaps you could let us know how you get on?:-D

What is actually wrong with your gas pipe ones? :cool2:

Regards

Paul

Hello,

That mystery bracket to the right of the shovel bracket, i don't know what it is for :embarrassed:.

All war time bedfords have them in, MW, OX, OY, QL, ML,. I was told once it is for the big funnel in the tool kit, but there isn't enough room behind the seat, so not that.

I thought it may be for the petrol dip stick depending on which tank your using, but the QL has only one tank, so not that.

Hi John,

On my QL there is the same bracket, behind the gear lever. It has held the dipstick for about 25 years and I am sure somewhere I have seen a picture to confirm this what it was for.

Could be proved wrong though ;)

Richard

Hello Richard,

The brackets look exactly like the petrol dipstick holder. I'm pretty sure the QL should have one on the back of the cab and the dip stick is down near the gear levers? It was a QL owner who told me it was for a machete, Bill Shucker and his QLB. I think my dad had his jack handle in his

If yours is missing i guess some danish guy has some nice handles on his tool box, as they had no ides what they were for too.

Regards

John

Hello Richard,

The brackets look exactly like the petrol dipstick holder. I'm pretty sure the QL should have one on the back of the cab and the dip stick is down near the gear levers? It was a QL owner who told me it was for a machete, Bill Shucker and his QLB. I think my dad had his jack handle in his

If yours is missing i guess some danish guy has some nice handles on his tool box, as they had no ides what they were for too.

Regards

John

Hi John,

Yes the bracket is on the back panel of my cab, but doubt the jack handles would fit in there as the flange between upper and lower cab halves is above it and it would not allow them to drop in, where as the dipstick fits a treat!

Good morning Richard,

Thats right, but the jack handle just fitted, with a rag between the seam of the cab and the handle to stop it rattling. The petrol dipstick clips are lower down. The jack handle my dad had wasn't the correct one for the truck it just fitted nicely.

Like i said it is virtually the same as the petrol dip stick clips, but there are two clips for the dipstick, same as the MW,OX,OY, still needs wrapping in a rag to stop it rattling. So the dip stick will fit in either.

EDIT.

Here in guys thread post 224 http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?27783-bedford-QL-restoration/page23 The mystery bracket on the back of the cab, and the petrol dipstick clips (2off) to the right of the gearstick, and some danish guy has some genuine bedford handles on his tool box...... The petrol dipstick clips are welded, where as the mystery clip is bolted.

So richard whats the clip for?

Best wishes

John

Edited by rippo

Thanks for the comments guys...always appreciated.

Fayo, nothing wrong with the gas pipe, its just got the wrong radius bends. Looks fine until you stand it next to another MW with the correct hoops, then it looks too high and square. The hoops have been made by a previous owner to suit the NOS canvas, which is not a correct MW one. It serves the purpose for now and looks ok, but i will get it sorted at some point.

Thanks John for the info on that bracket. Funny you should suggest it being for the Dipstick. When i went to Normandy last year, i ended up keeping the Dipstick on the floor behind the drivers seat for ease of use, so maybe that IS what that bracket is for?? Although, if that had been the intended purpose, surely they would have added 2 brackets as per the holder on the passenger side?

I could really do with the following if anyone can help.

1. Position of Fire Extinguisher Bracket.

2. Position of starting handle on Canvas box.

3. Photo of correct Jack and handle.

Many thanks

Richard

Good morning richard,

Yes i know the QL has a dipstick, we have one in my dads.

I'm answering gas regarding using the mystery clip to hold the dip stick when running on the drivers side tank on a MW. if that is what the mystery clip is for then why would the QL have the same clip when a QL only has one tank, SO the mystery clips isn't for holding the dip stick.

Regards

John

John,

As far as the Fire Extinguisher is concerned, is it mounted in the centre of the battery box lid or offset to the drivers side? A photo i have suggests the later? My original box top has no holes or they have been filled and painted over many times? Also, is the bracket fixed on with screws or bolts and nuts?

Thanks

Richard

John,

As far as the Fire Extinguisher is concerned, is it mounted in the centre of the battery box lid or offset to the drivers side? A photo i have suggests the later? My original box top has no holes or they have been filled and painted over many times? Also, is the bracket fixed on with screws or bolts and nuts?

Thanks

Richard

Richard,

Are there any holes behind the drivers seat?

John

Its a great looking late war MW you have there. Its good to see it in proper RAF camo colours (rather than RAF Blue) and also good to see that it has M which I understand is for Maintenance Command, rather than opting (like everyone else) for B for Bomber or F for Fighter Command.

Edited by LarryH57

Thanks Larry, appreciate your comments.

The "M41" was found under layers of paint by the previous owner, so its original to the truck. The RAF serial number is correct too. Yes, i love the colour and as you say good to see it correct rather then the post war Blue that most seem to choose.

Hello,

The fire extingusher should be held on by five screws two at either end and one in the middle. The same pattern of holes should be in one of the small sides of the battery box, the battery box is also the base of the passenger seat in the OX/OY's and they have the fire extingusher in this place, and the boxes seem to have the holes regerdless of weather they are in a MW or OX/OY. You could use those hole instead of drilling new ones? I'm thinking maybe if you put on top of the box you'll catch your elbow when changing gear.

The reason i asked about the holes behind the seat is, the MWC' were produced upto 1943 with aeroscreens, and i thinking maybe your could have started life with aeroscreens.

John

Edited by rippo

• 1 month later...