Wrecker in Somerset

Does anyone know what the wrecker is on the M5 near Taunton? I'm no expert on these but I would say probably Leyland, with 'Holmes 750' style twin boom bodywork. Although at some point it's been painted white it has that ex-army look to it. Been there as long as I can remember.

It can be seen on streetview, if you travel north on the M5 from J25 it is on the lh side as you approach the A361 overbridge.

'bout time it was saved...

Does anyone know what the wrecker is on the M5 near Taunton? I'm no expert on these but I would say probably Leyland, with 'Holmes 750' style twin boom bodywork. Although at some point it's been painted white it has that ex-army look to it. Been there as long as I can remember.

It can be seen on streetview, if you travel north on the M5 from J25 it is on the lh side as you approach the A361 overbridge.

Glad you mentioned that Hair Bear as I always wondered that too. I guessed (trying to impress a lady) 'oh yeah that's a hard cab DT...' :sweat:

leyland martian its been there or there abouts 15 or so years or more i think it belonged to hamiltons who used to pull wreckes of the m5 and used to not like visitors thinking it was a breakers yard they now sell second hand landrovers from the site last i heard it was not for sale but that was some time ago

• 5 weeks later...

hi i used to drive that machine out on heavy recoverys it was purchased from the glamorgan fire service years ago you are right about the holmes gear, it is a Leyland Martian. i have some pics and a short bit of film of it if you are interested

all the best Bungy 1948

Hi, I'm sure the pics and video would be most welcome.

So let's throw something else into the mix. Back in the late '80's or early 90's I remember going to a vintage tractor / vehicle rally, I'm sure either in the Wokingham area, or somewhere around Petersfield, and there was an identical wrecker there. If I didn't know better I'd say it was the same one, all white, and running. And I'm sure it lived at the site and it sat in the field ticking over for most of the day but I've no idea why.

hi i used to drive that machine out on heavy recoverys it was purchased from the glamorgan fire service years ago you are right about the holmes gear, it is a Leyland Martian. i have some pics and a short bit of film of it if you are interested

all the best Bungy 1948

Yes please mate ! :D

• 2 weeks later...

all the best Bungy 1948

Hi Bungy, just been asked a question about the Martian's that were in service with Glamorgan Fire Service. Can you confirm what reg this one is?

Scott

I seem to remember L W Vass offering a recovery based on the Martian cargo and fitted with a Holmes 750. I think there may have been a picture of one on a Vass advert sheet that was posted on here some time ago - the one with a special offer if you bought 3 Dyson 50t trailers if someone has the time to search it out, possibly posted by Antarmike.

all the best Bungy 1948

The Leyland belongs to Mr Ted Tucker trading as "Land Rover Man" whose business can be accessed from the A361 Glastonbury road just past Walford Cross on the A38.

In its hayday, Mr Tucker used it for commercial recovery off the A38 (pre M5) then trading as Hamilton Motors. The original crane was replaced by a twin boom Holmes and as far as I remember the hydraulic spade has been removed from the back as well. I'd forgotten about the Glamorgan Fire Brigade connection and that's quite right Bungy

Although it doesn't look too bad from the M5, all that remains is hundreds of starving metal beetles holding hands. The cab is pretty well shot and beyond saving I'd say and it hasn't run in thirty years at least. It was unceremoniously pushed down the field a number of years ago to make way for loads of Landrovers. Unless you really need some axle bits, I wouldn't think it was worth any more than scrap. Knowing Mr Tucker -- it'll be gold plated scrap! so don't ask!