Today's mystery object. Six wheels and a RR B81/1.

FV1604A

Last week, I bought a manual for a large military vehicle which consisted of a large amount of loose leaf pages.

On going through the papers, I came upon a section stapled together detailing a totally different vehicle.

The mystery vehicle comes in various marks 6a/6b/6c all mentioned. It has a B81 RR No 1 engine. It carries a main supply of only 19 gallons of fuel with seven on reserve, and weighs in at 6 tons 4cwt total. The manual's weight distribution section details front axle, centre axle and rear axle, so assume it is a six-wheeler. It has a David fuel Pump, a Solex type 48 NNIP carb, has torsion bars and tracta joints. A fluid coupling oil reservoir is also detailed.

Am I looking at a part of a Saracen manual, although the fuel tank capacity seems low for a vehicle of this type?

Possible alternative; Alvis Salamander crash tender, short runs, no need for large tanks and reduction in weight essential for speed.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mike.

The mystery vehicle comes in various marks 6a/6b/6c all mentioned. It has a B81 RR No 1 engine. It carries a main supply of only 19 gallons of fuel with seven on reserve, and weighs in at 6 tons 4cwt total. The manual's weight distribution section details front axle, centre axle and rear axle, so assume it is a six-wheeler. It has a David fuel Pump, a Solex type 48 NNIP carb, has torsion bars and tracta joints. A fluid coupling oil reservoir is also detailed.

Am I looking at a part of a Saracen manual, although the fuel tank capacity seems low for a vehicle of this type?

Possible alternative; Alvis Salamander crash tender, short runs, no need for large tanks and reduction in weight essential for speed.

Mike,

The Salamander was designated as a Mk6 crash tender by the RAF, so fits the bill here.

No it's not a game ,Clive, I am not really stuck either.

It was just that I was arranging the very thick bundle of loose papers making up the manual into order, engine, gearbox, etc, I was left with this stapled section of 28 pages which I quickly realised wasn't part of the book.

Page 9 is followed by Page 179 and then 370, and there are no clues other than those given, but I think, Richard, that you have solved it, if there are Mk 6/6A Salamanders.

Thanks to both of you for a swift response. I can now file it accordingly.

BW.

Mike.