Bedford MWD

fayjo56

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Not much to report, havent had much time on her recently:blush:. I posted a question re the springs, have a look at the pic in this thread. As Rippo correctly stated, each front spring should have 9 leaves. One leaf on the N/S spring is broken, and until I dismantled it I hadnt noticed that it has an extra leaf!. Any further suggestions on why?

New core plugs and gaskets have arrived so progress will start again soon. Regards to all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had the week off work, so made a bit more progress. Chassis is now in primer, gearbox back on, front springs back on, front panel primed, rear springs painted (need new bushes and pins)

MWJune2012022.jpg

MWJune2012007.jpg

MWJune2012004.jpg

One of the shock absorbers. Unfortunatly 3 of the 4 leak fluid.

I think attention will now turn to the axles.

Edited by fayjo56
cant type!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! I am still here and working, anyone still there? progress slow but sure. Rear axle now cleaned and painted, tow bar stripped down and cleaned, will paint today plus a few other bits. Shopping list of parts growing, just waiting for bank account to catch up. Pics will follow. The main thing is I'm still in love with the truck!

• 4 weeks later...

Bit more done, fuel tank trays sorted, one was border line scrap, but I think I have saved it. Be gentle with me. The other was really good. They dont match so maybe it has been replaced at some point? I will live with them as they are for now. Rear springs and axle refitted following the arrival of new pins and bushes. Towbar put back together - The only way I could compress the spring was to lower my vintage Dennis fire engine onto it with the trolley jack! serves me right for taking it to bits I suppose!

mwjuly001.jpg

mwjuly005.jpg

mwjuly007.jpg

mwjuly009.jpg

I Have decided to use chassis black as a protective coat before the eggshell topcoat. Any comments on this?

to what I know , is the breathing done by one of the bolts in the cover , I have a british deep water fording manual which talks about drilling a hole in axles and put a hose on them for breathing and so preventing salt water to enter the axle.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, time for a progress report. Both front wings now in primer, following a bit of welding, bashing and lots of wire brushing and sanding! They will not be 'factory perfect' as I think a few minor dents are part of her character. (good excuse as any!;)) I will take some pics next weekend. Hopefully I can soon start to reassemble the front end.

You are doing a great job I am following with interest as I have a MW to restore as well. I have to build two fuel tank trays, I would appreciate if you would you give me the measurements of yours, length, width and depth and the thickness of the walls. thanks Charlie

Hi Charlie

I will take measurments gladly. They are stored up in the loft so may take a few days. I would love to see some pics of yours sometime, maybe start a restoration thread too? Paul

Hi Paul thats great there is no hurry I posted some pics of my MW in my introduction thead. I saved my MW from going to the scrap metal merchants and it is just a pile of parts I got it for $NZ1500 which included 4 new bar grip tyres and a new radiator. I have put it under cover drained all the water out of the steering box cleaned some rust off the chassis and I have done some work an parts I have pulled out of the pile I will post some pics here tomorrow for you. I have a chev cargo which I take to shows here in NZ and I am in the middle of a dodge Command car resto I have a shed which is full of unfinished projects. I plan to start a restoration thread soon. cheers Charlie

Hi Charlie

I will take measurments gladly. They are stored up in the loft so may take a few days. I would love to see some pics of yours sometime, maybe start a restoration thread too? Paul

Hi Paul I started a restoration thread today - Charlie