Bedford MWD

fayjo56

Seems like I have spent eternity stripping the wings, bulkhead, floor panels etc. Finally got some primer and chassis black on them today.

mwsept030.jpg

mwsept025.jpg

mwsept023.jpg

mwsept030.jpg

Bottom of bulkhead in chassis black. Hopefully I have also solved the rubber mountings so maybe I can start re assembly soon!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

mwgrille003-1.jpg

A couple of weeks enforced absence from the workshop, still preservation related though! Finally got back to the Bedford for a while today and finished sorting the grille, made from an oversized mesh panel that came with her, quite pleased with the result.

Also got a new camera for my birthday, so the pics should improve!

Hi John

The front panel does have captive nuts, thought I would try and mount the grille behind as per early models though, if it works. I do have the headlight rings, though would like to go for the early large headlights really.

The bonnet bracket I am missing is the one off the front panel. Will speak soon, really really need to see your truck before I go too much further!:D

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bad couple of weekends. The bulkhead is now a lovely gloss brown as a base for the topcoat. I am nearly out of chassis black, and the brown came free!

Petrol pump cleaned up, tested in the sink (!) and fitted. Ditributor cleaned and fitted. Pedals fitted. The first timber fitted, each side of the bulkhead for the bonnet to fit to. These are the original pieces and are in excellent condition following a good sanding.

Various other odss and ends primed.

mwbulkheadwood002.jpg

mwbulkheadwood003.jpg

mwbulkheadwood001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fitted the newly acquired, correct, front grill (thanks John!). Made a bracket for the front of the bonnet. Dismantled the cab floor. A surprising amount of the screws came out relatively easily. The floor had a galv steel sheet over the planks, which I am pretty sure is not original. It has helped preserve the floorboards though. I will have to remake the side rails, but the rest of the timber frame is useable.:-D

mwcabfloor007.jpg

mwcabfloor008.jpg

mwcabfloor011.jpg

mwcabfloor017.jpg

mwcabfloor019.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, started checking the measurements kindly supplied by Rippo: The measurement from rear (chassis) crossmember to tip of towing jaw was about 1" out :wow:. The bracing pieces that bolt to the bottom of the chassis crossmember has two holes though, so we tried fixing on the 'other' holes with the towbar sat loose on the chassis - hey presto the correct measurment! The only conclusion we could draw is that the towbar brackets had either been re made when the towbar was dropped, or were off a different MW (later ?). As everything else, cab floor etc checked out we have redrilled the towbar brackets and all is now well. Sorry for the protracted story, but it was driving me round the bend:nut:.

Following this success, the newly made crossmembers were 'fettled' and fitted!

mwbodyxmembers003.jpg

mwbodyxmembers004.jpg

mwbodyxmembers001.jpg

mwxmembers2001.jpg

The rear body comes very nice together! For sure you can have sleepless nights when you deal with a problem.

Lucky that we have the forum to solve some of are problems on are vehicles.

It is a very nice tread to follow, keep up the good work.

Guy

The rear body comes very nice together! For sure you can have sleepless nights when you deal with a problem.

Lucky that we have the forum to solve some of are problems on are vehicles.

It is a very nice tread to follow, keep up the good work.

Guy

Oh,I like see work on Bedford MW!

Tom Higgins

Spent an exciting few hours (not), stripping and sanding the head board planks. I have reused all bar one of the originals. Thanks to a photo of rippo's truck I can see what most of the holes should be for too!

Having fitted them I now have a cab! (or what passes as a cab on an aero screen MW).

mwheadboard002.jpg

mwheadboard001.jpg

Edited by fayjo56
cant type!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for those John, most helpful.

I knew I had got some brackets, just wasnt sure which ones until I dug them out of the box:

mwbodyjan004.jpg

Perhaps you can confirm how many more I need?

Also have taken a pic of the mystery holes within the stowage box, which, incidently I have just built.:

mwbodyjan002.jpg

Also got the headboard metal surround on, cab floor in and started looking at the rear floor.

mwbodyjan003.jpg

mwbodyjan001.jpg

mwbodyjan005.jpg

mwbodyjan007.jpg

Spent an exciting few hours (not), stripping and sanding the head board planks. I have reused all bar one of the originals. Thanks to a photo of rippo's truck I can see what most of the holes should be for too!

Having fitted them I now have a cab! (or what passes as a cab on an aero screen MW).

mwheadboard002.jpg

mwheadboard001.jpg

Glad to see you saved most of the headboard wood, I think its important that when you restore a vehicle you use as much of the origional material as possiable even if it is a bit knocked arround. well done so far.

Hello Paul,

Yes i recognise the holes now, luckily i have a similar picture of mine. The big holes are for double cleets (hooks) same as the tail board. If you look at the drawing of the flat canvas sheet i gave you, it shows them on there too. There are no holes in the top plank.

Ahh, all becomes clear! I didnt think of looking at the canvas diagrams:blush:

No idea on the hole in the floor, SOMEONE must know?