Green Goddess Bell

fesm_ndt

Curious came accross a green goddess bellWhen did the phase out the brass bell and switch to electric siren?

When the British Armed Forces took over GG's for the firemans strike in late 1970's I think, then two tones and blue beacons were fitted.

Same with ambulance strike, sirens and two tones were fitted overnight, I remember that as we were supporting all the military ambulances in London, and a mixed bunch they were.

The first blue lights & 2 tones were fitted in 1975 to some of the Scottish Office fleet to GGs allocated to the "Green Companies" At the onset of the 77/78 strike blue lights were fitted to most GGs by the end of the first weekend. Few had 2 tones fitted. I was a crew commander in Hull for the 9 week duration, I gave up sitting in the O i/c seat it was too much like hard work on the arms !! - we never received 2 tones. The 1980 upgrade included a rewire and various lighting upgrades, 2 tones were fitted as part of the upgrade and to facilitate this the bells were removed. In the 1980 upgrade the 2 tones are mounted on the bell support frame. I have dozens of photos taken in the sheds at Marchington after all the GGs were centralised there in 1990 and there is not a bell to be seen. In 1996 I was doing some work at the Scottish Office GG store, just before they disposed of their fleet and aquired the last bell they had hidden away, I am pleased to report it is now safely residing on a preserved GG in Wales. My claim to fame is I was one of only a handful of servicemen to be directly involved in both the 1977/8 & 2002/3 national strike operations.

TED

Marchington 9a crop.jpg