A week in the life of owning too many toys.

paulob1

take a deep breath and try to read all this if you can...

have to move afew vehicles as the grass is needing to be cut again...damn stuff...plus i have to collect some hay for the cows and move some water to fill the soon to be completed water trough...

anyway start with green goddess, fires up first time no problem off we toddle,

start the ural, after filling with petrol, battery ok starts first time with choke, moves off lovely.

Zil with open top semi box body, battery down, bring over jump leads and good battery, fires after a bit of coaxing with the fuel pump, moves fine once hand brake freed off.

Zil crane battery low fuel good, fires after a jump start and a bit of fuel in the carb, she is now being used as the water carrier.

Zil flat bed, fires up with fuel good battery and good fuel pump.

Star 660, batteries very iffy, bad starter and then dies, wont start now, needs looking at...likely a bit of water in fuel lines and will just need starting again..will sort it.tow her out with DROPS to cut grass...

Zil crane 1, no fuel and no batery, just pull her out for now...cant be bothered loading another battery

Saracen, wont pump fuel up, fuel pump dry or knackered..hell job replacing that...fire4s easily enough with a bit of fuel in the carb...

Diesel zil has a stuck clutch,...damn, thought it was the clutch actually gone at first but no its just stuck. Had to move her about a bit and play with the air lines, mixture of low air and lack of use for a few weeks...

FUG, fires easily, no seat as it is away for refurb...ouch that hurts, they are uncomfortable enough with a seat...without its just purgatory...

M62 batteries dead, jump start her melt jump leads...take off batteries fit new freshly charged batteries, she fires easily lovely engine...lovely truck, just needs new wings fitting and rear winch fixing and she will be a real good un...

M817 has had batteries on charge all night fires first click, cummins engines, lovely...brakes weak, will need to look at them this winter.

M660, boys fail to start her, it take knowledge, I get in pump up the fuel, pull the choke, press the button and she fires instantly, boys look on amazedbad news ...no brakes the front wheel cylinder has emptied all the fluid...damn scary as I very nearly take out one of the trailers.

FH77 jump start her from the jump pack, fires lovely, try to move no drive at all...all hydraulic fluid gone...fill her up, with lic 10 and away she goes...have filled the reservoir with a special seal swelling agent, hope this will reduce some of the hydraulic leaks...need to sort the brakes as well at some time.. love that gun...

Ferrett, starter weak so its handle starts, works fine once you get the hang of it...still hard work, not looking forward to fitting a new starter...

Berliet, lovely truck, batteries weak but charge up quickly and she fires on the button...damn fine engine..

Got to collect hay so fire up foden, the clutch has been iffy for a while, now its gone completely, not looking forward to changing that...may look to get it done else where...bloody good truck but still needs more work.

Ural cargo body, wont start...key lost new ignition key found, slow starter? has an earth short so needs to be sorted.

and finally after fitting new belts and sorting Paulwart, my off road stolly (thanks BAZ of ringmotors) I fit new fuel regulator, to stop it flooding the carb and engine, (we have raised the tank to give me some space in the hull,fantastic, she fires up lovely, regulator is leaking needs ptfe, then find I have no brakes, main pipe gone inside hull, replace with new pipe, then two pipes go on the right hand side, one from each reservoir so I still have no brakes..pipes being remade today, for fitting then I will have a working off roading stalwart.. with big russian very aggressive tyres, it will be mega...cant wait to try it out...just got a few things to fit...see below...wheels give me at least another 2 inches of clearance with the hubs nearly level, I may drop them a tad more for another couple of inches of clearance on the torsion bars but will do this after her first off road outing...more interested in saving my knuckle joints and tracta arms than tgetting a few more inches of clearance...also need to check the winch is working and am then thinking of fitting a hydraulic winch on the back too...got to fit a few extra boxes for tools and ropes and things and she will be one fine off roading truck...

off roading stalwart...new air lines to cab, old ones buggered, new air hose to be used to inflate and deflate tyres when off roading, this will have a permanent air line so that i can re inflate once i have finished playing,....will run about 10 psi most of the time...new 240 volt feed from geny to feed power to new sound system, she is getting 1000 watt amps, x 2, MP3 based music system and CD player and very big speakers...she will be a loud truck for sure...I may just be able to hear it above the din of the trucks drive system...

yes been there done that, wait until you have three teenage boys and you try to get them out of bed to go to work...give me a stuck stalwart in 6 foot deep mud anyday. new hoses ordered from Richard Bannister...what would we do without that guy...

Hi

Hows the green goddess holding up being stored outside? Mine developed a leak quite quickly but is now indoors thank goodness.

Ref the Saracen, maybe you should try an electric fuel pump, it takes along time to get fuel up into the carb when they have been standing for even a few days and the electric pump would be an easy fit compared to replacing the mechanical one, would save your starter alot of work.

Just a thought... nice toys btw

Cheers

Paul

hmm that may be a good idea, she has never had a problem before but we ran her dry, so she isnt happy pulling it up from the tank...will sort it, have a couple of electric pumps, may give them a try...where i fit it is another story, should look at the fuel lines and see where they run...electric pumps need to be near the tank so I may have a bit of a fiddle on my hands...

hmm that may be a good idea, she has never had a problem before but we ran her dry, so she isnt happy pulling it up from the tank...will sort it, have a couple of electric pumps, may give them a try...where i fit it is another story, should look at the fuel lines and see where they run...electric pumps need to be near the tank so I may have a bit of a fiddle on my hands...

Paul,

i have seen electric pumps fitted to Saracens adjacent to the filter and changeover tap,, fully accessable there.

I seem to recall Facet electric pumps can be specified for 'install near fuel tank' or 'install near engine'.

Nice collection by the way - not to put a downer on it but how does the Russian gear fare living outdoors?

- MG

all my stuff has to reside outdoors, its hard on them and a pain...but thats the same for all the vehicles...those under cover dont deteriorate any where near as fast...am working on that though...hopefully next year all of them will be under cover of some sort...

Paul,

you are not in an exclusive situation but as I keep telling others that have deep pockets and who buy lots of kit, better have dry heated, vermin free storage to stabilise a vehicle properly let alone a fleet.

I share your pain but . . . . . .

R

its not a pain, I have gone past the worrying about them as I used to. Now I just plan when they will all be in my cold war museum, all clean and tidy (never) ...dry and heated by my green powerplant fuelled by wood chip and paper...and paid for by millions of visitors (I wish) It will be my fun thing.

• 1 year later...