Dodge hub seals

gas 44

Hello all,

We have a leaky hub oil seal (rear) on our WC51. We have the seals but I cant locate a box spanner to do the job.

My question is, does anyone know (other than normal culprits) where we can buy one or does anyone have a spare we could buy. Failing that does anyone have one we could borrow (MK Luton area).

Thanks in advance

Gary

Hi Clive,

Thats what I like, thinking outside the box !!! I had not given any thought as what size it may be I just assumed (wrongly I exspect) that it was a Dodge specific tool. Not sure why I thought that (plonker)

So does anybody know what size box spanner is needed ?

Thankyou Clive for turning on the light ;);).

Gary

Hi Clive,

Thats what I like, thinking outside the box !!! I had not given any thought as what size it may be I just assumed (wrongly I exspect) that it was a Dodge specific tool. Not sure why I thought that (plonker)

So does anybody know what size box spanner is needed ?

Thankyou Clive for turning on the light ;);).

Gary

Hi Gary.

If you can find the size. I can have a look to see if i have one in the van that you can borrow.

Clive

It is an 8-sided nut, you may find that Melco tools have one to fit. The part number of the original tool is 41-W-1495, why not try Dallas Autos?

Thankyou for that Richard.

Have tried Dallas and one or two others inc Europe and no luck,thats why I asked on here. I have never liked borrowing tools preffering to outright purchase myself,but if I cant buy one and people dont want to sell their own then a lend may be the only way....of course we may be able to make one from a pattern ;);).

Gary

916083 is NSN 5120-00-422-8972.

916083 = DAIMLER CHRYSLER number.

I also found another part number 7081490 for US Army Tank Automotive command.

This may not be of much help, but someone may have some old stock lying around and have no idea what the

Nato number is for.

Hope this helps.

Tony. can you post the measurements as i have some 8 sided hub nut sockets in the van that may help gas44 get out

of trouble if he can't find one to purchase.

Regards

Clive

Wow, thanks very much you two.

I have been onto Dallas Auto's and they say its a special size to Dodge.:(

So If Protruck don't have something it looks as if we may need to make one......or three ;)

Thanks again for you help fella's.

Gary

Yes it is a unique beast. Mine came with the wagon. It is a substancial bit of kit.

Have you tried HO Wildenberg....they had them in stock in may this year only i was not willing to pay what they

wanted for the spanner or carraige.......one quick visit to our local blacksmith and one hour later he had made a suitable

box spanner......what a guy!!!!

Dave

Have you tried HO Wildenberg....they had them in stock in may this year only i was not willing to pay what they

wanted for the spanner or carraige.......one quick visit to our local blacksmith and one hour later he had made a suitable

box spanner......what a guy!!!!

Dave

Hi everyone and thankyou for all of your input.

Problem solved.....I went to Wildenberg, yes they had them instock,yes they are over priced,yes they screwed me on the postage,BUT yes I now have the correct tool for the job.

The one disapointing part to this tale,is that although a well known southern Dodge parts dealer was more than happy to relieve me of just over £200 for a new clutch (complete) and the axle oil seals, there was blank faces from them as to where else I might get the required tool "dunno mate" was there only answer. I understand that there are competitors out there but I have found ALL the other dealers that I have used for the Gmc,Jeep,paint and canvas VERY HELPFUL,these people seemed to be quite negative. Is that normal for Dodge parts suppliers ?

Once again thanks to everyone who has tried to help me.

Gary