Uniforms

ian001

This has been touched on in another thread but it is bothering me, I have a 1st gulf war Land Rover, when possible I put on a display of UK & Iraqi equipment, I have a 25 man chemical shelter (colpro) that I put up at Okehampton, we (the family) put on trousers & jackets to fit in with the display (no rank/insignia), some think this is unacceptable as the uniform is still in use, yet it is ok to use uniforms of other era's, I think this is double standards but again it's just my opinion, I have friends who served out in Iraq & they think it's great that I do this & remind the public of what happened & what's still going on, I feel people remember the fallen during WW2 but forget about those that have fallen since.

Are the people that disagree with wearing uniforms disagreeing as they think it's not PC or is there another issue?

I served in late 70s early 80s, I am in some peoples eyes entitled to wear that era uniform but it would not fit in with the display, so what is acceptable?

Cheers

Ian

Yes I know, another can of worms.

Since the end of WW2, I believe 1968 is the only year where a British serviceman hasn't been killed on active duty somewhere in the world. Our armed forces are constantly employed in keeping the free, free.

I don't have a problem with anyone doing what they can to remind people of the sacrifices made by our services from any era. If wearing a uniform and rank helps to portray the image, that's fine and prefered by me. Having a nice vehicle and diorama seems pointless if you sit in the middle of it in jeans and a T shirt.

I do however draw the line at medal wearing. Medals are earned, not ornaments.

Steve

My thoughts exactly but twice in one edition of windscreen Chris Davies has got my back up, page 5 & page 37, plus uniforms were brought up in the medals thread, I wondered if the wearing of modern uniforms was being widely frowned upon or if it was just a handful of objectors, we were very much accepted in the south west veterans day, in fact I spent most of the day making tea/coffee in the back of the Land Rover for veterans, free of charge of course, we also do all the local charity events & we're always made very welcome, we've never had any complaints, ok maybe one, not enough sugar in the coffee.

Cheers

Ian

Just to add my twopennyworth:

I positively object to medal wearing by the unqualified but have little objection to uniform wearing (SS and Hitler Youth excepted from that remark!). However, I personally will not do it. I understand the photographers objections to pink T shirts so I wear black civilian overalls and a plain black beret with a button on the front of it. Button looks like a capbadge in photos but I know I am not wearing anything I am not entitled to.

Actually, I was a Cadet in the 1960's so I suppose I could wear the postwar version of battledress but having had the skin on my 'groin' nearly scraped off by the inside of battledress at the time, I won't!

One short 'mirror image' story: In 2001 got to drive a Russian BTR 60 command post in a 4 day armoured exercise on Salisbury Plain because previous attempts to give the 'Red' forces more realistic vehicles had foundered because the squaddies broke them so preservationists were recruited to drive and maintain them. Being a bit nervous as a civilian in an Army environment and being a very different shape to a fit 20 yr old (OK so I am fat!) I thought I would wear a wide belt over the overalls to hold the gut in. Belt chosen was a 37 pattern belt never returned to the cadets in 1968.

On the exercise, the RSM of the Green Howards who supplied the Red forces did not know I was a civilian. He looked me up and down, noticed the belt and said 'Christ mate, your Unit is a bit behind with kit issue aren't they?' Beret, capbadge and civvie overalls he missed altogether!

Thanks for the ready excuse but I am 6 foot 3 as it is. Any taller and I would have to fold in half to get into my Valentine: I have no seat padding or overhead padding as it is. I was told by a veteran that he was the ideal size to drive one at 5 foot 4 but at just under 8 stone (he grew up in the depression hit 30's of course) he had to push the steering levers forwards each time with his foot! I can nearly do it with my gut!

Big Al on this forum has had a go and he is no lightweight but another friend at 5 foot 8 and admits to 25+stone got in and out but he said he couldn't breathe while he was in there so couldn't drive it or he would have passed out. I suspect that if you apply the height/weight thing I would have to sit on the radiator filler cap to drive. My mate would have to run behind. He does fine on his Turan 5 though!

Thanks for the ready excuse but I am 6 foot 3 as it is. Any taller and I would have to fold in half to get into my Valentine: I have no seat padding or overhead padding as it is. I was told by a veteran that he was the ideal size to drive one at 5 foot 4 but at just under 8 stone (he grew up in the depression hit 30's of course) he had to push the steering levers forwards each time with his foot! I can nearly do it with my gut!

Big Al on this forum has had a go and he is no lightweight but another friend at 5 foot 8 and admits to 25+stone got in and out but he said he couldn't breathe while he was in there so couldn't drive it or he would have passed out. I suspect that if you apply the height/weight thing I would have to sit on the radiator filler cap to drive. My mate would have to run behind. He does fine on his Turan 5 though!

Weight in stone doesn't mean anything to me...I've been in a Dingo and had to fold to try and look through the vision ports but still to long..

I've been looking for a while for a nice set of 1930s/40s overalls. Thick cotton, proper buttons and a sewn-in belt. I think that they look the part with any old vehicle. The only trouble is that they all seem to have been worn to destruction.

Modern poly cotton things with press studs look just that.

Anyone ever come across replicas ?