Restoration, Bedford OYD GS 1943

ferret

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bedford engines do have a reputation for crankshaft problems.

Really ? Never known any unusual problems with 28hp cranks, would have thought if there were any machining errors as you say, the first regrind would have corrected it. Also remember a lot of the Bedfords in preservation served on well in to the 50's, having rebuilds, exchange engines, etc, and parts used would often be produced after the war, due to high demand. Machine tools would have been dealt with when production for Civilian use and exports started up again, else the good reputation would not have held up.

The story I heard somewhere was that Bedford only had one machine capable of turning crankshafts. Though that seems odd on its own. Apaprently the machine developed a fault due to wear, the spares wern't available, neither could the down time be afforded to repair it. So on the basis the vehicles would probably only last a few months they carried on. I agree by now it would be very rare if the vehicles haven't had at least one major rebuild. I know Phil's QL was last used in 1970 for an army recurting tour around England. We met the bloke who climed he had driven it in London at the 60th anniversary of VE/VJ days. I do have a childhood memory of K3 and OY trucks plus possibly an MW all painted uniform grey in the early 1960's delivering potoes in the old wooden barrels to the docks in Jersey.

Got radiator back this week just need to rub down the nasty black paint that looks as if it was applied by vacuum cleaner.

Bits back from shot blasters, need to do a few small repairs before paint.

Head has gone off to be skimmed and valves ground in, should be back running pretty soon.

Chris

rad 004.jpg

rad 005.jpg

rad 006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking on with the truck. The cylinder head should be refitted tommorow, the head has beem skimmed and the valves ground in.

The engine bay has been cleaned out and repainted, radiator is also ready for refitting hopefully should be back up and running tommorow.

I have started repairing priming and painting lots of parts so the front end should come back together quite quickly.

Pic attached of the first part of windscreen repaired and repainted.

trk 4 006.jpg

trk 4 002.JPG

trk 4 003.JPG

trk 4 007.JPG

trk 4 011.jpg

Hi. Trying to get as much done as poss before the bad weather arrives.

I am also trying to get my 1 ton Brockhouse trailer finished and out of the way as well.

I have also bought a 1941 Ariel W/ng and sidecar.

As if not busy enough I have been helping make up a bomb disposal display for the Sheffield Blitz commemoration on the 11th December. The bomb is made up from an old Co2 bottle, the head has been turned from wood and the fins made from an old road sign. I think it looks good now it as been painted and detailed. Just needs some mud on it!

bomb disposal.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just an update.

Engine is now running! Gearbox is now off and new clutch is ready to be installed, ran out of light today.

Also a new rear core plug is been installed as this was leaking.

Have managed to spray the bonnet and this has been re-installed.

Trying to work my way towards the rear of the vehicle. Drivers side windscreen is ready for refitting and the doors should be back soon from the bodyshop.

Chris.

gearbox1.jpg

gearbox2.jpg

gearbox3.jpg

gearbox4.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Have managed to get a bit more done on the Bedford.

Has been a bit of a struggle with all the rain.

The doors are now repaired and ready for refitting, also managed to cut out and replace the rotten bits on the passenger side of the cab.

Got the correct canvas tilt from the MVT Greensheet for £30, Bargain!!

If the weather stays dry should get it done soon.

Chrisapril 257b.jpg

april 256a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Not done much in the last couple of months due to the weather.

I have managed to do a bit in the last week or so.

I have fitted a NOS stock carb, runs much better.

I have fitted the windscreens back in including the newly made one from http://www.rustytrucks.com Paul has done a fantastic job.

Most of the outside of the cab is finished. I will paint the interior at a later date.

Regards Chrisjune 033.JPG

june 034.JPG