Small(holding) Tractors

camrhee

If its ordinary old grazing land a topper should do fine, no need for fancy finishing mowers? You can get a decent finish from a topper, something like an swipe which uses a chain gives a rougher finish but is more suited to knocking off rough grass, nettles etc. Finishing mowers and mulchers sound power hungry to me, If geese cant keep on top of it all, fence half off and sell the rest for hay or let it for grazing?

You can run a tractor that is an "agricultural machine" on red diesel anywhere you like as long as its engaged on AGRICULTURAL duties, this doesnt include cutting the local cricket pitch as one poor chap down this way found out not long ago. Vintage ploughing matches, rallies etc also do not qualify for using red diesel as far as I am aware.

As usual Richard Farrant has got it spot on, a 3cylinder MF35,MF35X OR MF135 is definitely the most suitable tractor for your purposes. If you were to spend your money on a mini tractor you are limited by it's abilities and power and the implements to suit are in my opinion ridiculously expensive when there are plenty of good secondhand implements available

to suit a Massey. Whilst a Major of any type is virtually unbreakable that about says it, don't ever go on hilly land or side slopes with one unless you have a death wish, the same applies to Nuffields. The hydraulics and pto on Majors are stone age compared to a Massey and are just not up to the job. Top whack for a concours 35X is in the region of 4 grand but a perfectly usable example shouldn't set you back more than £1500 to £2000 but at the end of the day it's your money and you take your choice.

I hope you find something that you are happy with but if I can help in any way don't hesitate to ask.

As usual Richard Farrant has got it spot on, a 3cylinder MF35,MF35X OR MF135 is definitely the most suitable tractor for your purposes. If you were to spend your money on a mini tractor you are limited by it's abilities and power and the implements to suit are in my opinion ridiculously expensive when there are plenty of good secondhand implements available

to suit a Massey. Whilst a Major of any type is virtually unbreakable that about says it, don't ever go on hilly land or side slopes with one unless you have a death wish, the same applies to Nuffields. The hydraulics and pto on Majors are stone age compared to a Massey and are just not up to the job. Top whack for a concours 35X is in the region of 4 grand but a perfectly usable example shouldn't set you back more than £1500 to £2000 but at the end of the day it's your money and you take your choice.

I hope you find something that you are happy with but if I can help in any way don't hesitate to ask.

"unsafe on hilly ground, substandard PTO's and archaic hydraulics" these sound like the unfounded rumours generally started by owners or enthusiasts of the gaudily painted range of MF tractors, with the most sought after variants found sporting a power plant that is 1 cylinder short of an engine, and if you happen to be over 5 feet tall it looks like you're riding a tonka toy down the road desperately trying to catch the fading blue image of a fordson major which unfortunately has a significantly higher top speed .....

For a more reasoned comparison, you would be best comparing the 35 with the Dexta and I daresay there isnt much to choose between the two. Ferguson (or MF by then) undoubtedly held the market share for these smaller tractors but I suspect the 50-55hp sector was ruled by fordson (how many 65's do you see these days).

It really depends on what you want to use it for, both in my opinion would probably fit the bill, the smaller masseys are overpriced in my opinion, both massey and fordson offered live PTO as an option and the super major offers all the hydraulic benefits found on a 35 with the addition of increased hydraulic output (22.7lpm vs 13.2lpm) the ford is heavier 2.5ton vs 1.6ton (ish) for the massey but you get 1.8ton more drawbar pull from the ford (if nebraska test data is to be believed).

I cant honestly see where statements relating to the stability of a fordson (or nuffield) come from, next people will be saying four cylinder masseys never start properly!

I cant honestly see where statements relating to the stability of a fordson (or nuffield) come from, next people will be saying four cylinder masseys never start properly!

As I initially suggested 3 cyl MF35 or 135 as a suitable tractor to mow paddocks, guess I should make a reply. My background was starting working life with a Massey Ferguson main distributor as an apprentice in the late 60's, so am quite qualified to make these suggestions and know what these tractors are capable of. Degsy may well respond as well, but being a hill farmer in Wales, i think he is also suitable qualified by his experience. Majors and Nuffields have a much higher centre of gravity than even a MF65. Incidentally, 4 cyl 35's , I rebuilt an engine on one last year, and it now starts like a new one.

Just to make sure there is some MV content in this thread, when I started work at the REME workshop, they had a MF35 there with army registration. ;)

I feel I aught to say something, I love my classic massey tractors, and highly rate the perkins 3pot engines in them. over the years I have owned many ferguson, and massey tractors, The one I would never part with, being my '63 35X which over the years I have restored and is used regularly as a loader tractor and really owns it's keep.

While I have little experience of the Major myself I have a nut case friend with a field full, and as much as it pains me to admit it, they are good tools. Value for money wise I would say vintage is the way forward, as a good one will hold it's value well, and be very reliable when maintained well.

Which you go for, is largely down to you, make sure it is something you are comfortable with, any machine will operate well in the hands of someone that knows it's capabilities. Your not immune from roll-over in a fordson, nor are you with a massey ferguson or any other tractor. I would sway to a 135 myself, simply because I know the tractors well they are very frugal with regards to fuel and the parts back up is exceptional. However, I would have to admit myself, the prices are high.

Another consideration is small, compact tractors hold their value very well, yes, BUT because of this, you have a very valuable small easy to steal (fit in a van) machine - that would be a concern to me.

finally, Ed, don't knock perkins engines too hard, there was a reason they put the P6 in the major ;)

Simon.

As I initially suggested 3 cyl MF35 or 135 as a suitable tractor to mow paddocks, guess I should make a reply. My background was starting working life with a Massey Ferguson main distributor as an apprentice in the late 60's, so am quite qualified to make these suggestions and know what these tractors are capable of. Degsy may well respond as well, but being a hill farmer in Wales, i think he is also suitable qualified by his experience. Majors and Nuffields have a much higher centre of gravity than even a MF65. Incidentally, 4 cyl 35's , I rebuilt an engine on one last year, and it now starts like a new one.

Just to make sure there is some MV content in this thread, when I started work at the REME workshop, they had a MF35 there with army registration. ;)

Sorry I now stand corrected, I have only been operating tractors for a little over 15 years on the range of hills including the highest point in Hampshire, and since qualifying as a Bachelor of Agricultural Engineering (hons) in 2001 have been conducting tilt table (stability tests) for a major construction company on a range of machinery so I will refrain from further comment lest my inexperienced ingnorant viewpoints give out any false information.

Incidentally, a bicylce has a lower CoG than a double decker bus, but which would fall over first? I watched my father tip over a tractor, it wasnt a major, or a massey but a little International, maybe we ought to add them to the dangerous pile?

Sorry I now stand corrected, I have only been operating tractors for a little over 15 years on the range of hills including the highest point in Hampshire, and since qualifying as a Bachelor of Agricultural Engineering (hons) in 2001 have been conducting tilt table (stability tests) for a major construction company on a range of machinery so I will refrain from further comment lest my inexperienced ingnorant viewpoints give out any false information.

Incidentally, a bicylce has a lower CoG than a double decker bus, but which would fall over first? I watched my father tip over a tractor, it wasnt a major, or a massey but a little International, maybe we ought to add them to the dangerous pile?

hi Ed,

OK, I accept your credentials, I was only giving my 44 years of hands on engineering experience on tractors, plant and heavy vehicles. Incidentally, i think you will find that a bicycle will not stand up on its own due to only having two wheels, so not a good example to pick out ;)

Thanks for posting the pic Dave, looks a fine machine. One assumes cheffins vintage sale is an auction? I do worry somewhat, at what price these will go for. It has been very much like people have said, that if you drop below a certain price then things are not always fine and the vintage market does seem to be almost as comparible. I must admit on a rather fluffy note i did see e very old blue compact at the show room two large fornt end red grilles and big round headlights. If a machine could have had a face this one had. Infact im sure id seen something similar on a kids programme, dare i even use the word 'cute' :blush: Oh dear there goes any semblance of credability.

Thankyou for all your posts guys. It is alot of good information. Thankfully it shall only be on level ground so if i dont do fast sharp turns im hoping to be okay! Although the JCB does have a roll bar which i must admit i do like as a safety feature all the same. Yet i can stilll squeeze it in the garage.

Isn't the reason roll frames and now roll cabs became complusory because ALL tractors can roll over? And any two wheel drive can be got up on it's hind legs. It's known as act stupid and they bite. My soft spot is for the David Brown 880 and 885, but if I was buying now for a small holding, I'd go for a Massey 35 or 135, or, one of the Belarus copies, they have updated lights and a roll frame. Were also only about £5000 new ( With all parts for first service) so a lot were bought by hobby farmers and horsy places, so haven't done much work. Renaults are nice tractors, but probably still very expensive.

I'd go for a Massey 35 or 135, or, one of the Belarus copies

There was a 'TAFE' for sale in our village, chap wanted £1450, it was basically a copy of a massey 240, which is not much more than an updated 135. it had a safety cab, pick up hitch etc. etc. naturally it flew away for that price, I imagine something like that would fit your needs perfectly.

We have a 5-acre smallholding and bought an MF35 with a 4-cyl Standard diesel engine, front loader, roll bar and aux hydraulics as we had some digging to do and I thought it might be handy about the place. That was three years ago... we now have a topper, hydraulic tipping trailer, sawbench, log splitter, post hole borer and link box. The loader gets used for all manner of lifting tasks, from shifting hay bales and logs to engine changes. I couldn't recommend this tractor type highly enough - to the extent that we are currently looking for a second one!

- MG

I couldn't agree more! Clocked over 10hours with my little MF 133 this week, its fitted with a ad3 152 Perkins and I calculated the fuel burn rate, it was averaging 2.25 litres per hour @1700rpm (pto speed) slightly more economical than the 35, however, my 35 is currently undergoing a full engine rebuild using genuine Perkins parts, its also had its injectors serviced, so ill be keen to re-calculate its fuel consumption, I expect with both engines in good condition, will average out to a similar figure. Personally, I prefer the A3 152 fitted to the 35x (indirect injection, but slightly more power than normal 35 3cyl.) To the ad3 152 fitted to the 133-135 as I find it a much softer and more forgiving when pottering about the yard with low revs. Its all down to personal preference I guess, Im a die hard Massey fan so perhaps a bit bias, I would find it difficult to knock either machine, 35 or 135.

• 4 months later...

I was in the turf supply business (Our son runs it now) for over fifty years. Stay away from cylinder mowers for cutting pasture, drawn ones would be useless on pasture, too uneven and you will keep losing traction on the wheels. Even the P.T.O. driven sets will give you problems even when maintained to the highest standard. You really need to go for the rotory bladed topper, there are plenty to choose from depending on the finnish that you require. As previously stated match the tractor output to the attachment. I always used Nuffields and Fords and found them to be good workhorses.

(I prefered the Fords.)