Drilling a stud ? armour

stal108

i am in need to know how would i go about drilling out a broken stud on a saladin it is for the wheel arches the stud is broken flush with the body. Is it a simple case of just drilling the stud?

They are normally welded on. When this happened in REME workshops, we had a special stud welder to do this.

Is it possible to drill it then tap? or drill all the way nut bolt..job

It is a possibility you could drill right through, and use a bolt, but it depends what is on the other side at that point. my experience of drilling armour, when we were doing mods on Ferrets is that you will have to use a special armour twist drill, and drill very slow with pressure on, not a job for your Black & Decker. We used an old air drill, which was a gut buster. A bracket was clamped to the hull and a pointed screw on the back of the drill located in this bracket so as to apply pressure on the drill bit, as you cut you were constantly putting pressure on the screw. Far easier to find a welder who can stud weld. As for tapping, I think you could end up with ruined taps or even broken ones.

If you have a small mig welder you can weld a nut or bolt to the remaining stump and unscrew the remaining stud out. At my garage we use this process half a dozen times every working day !!!:)

The studs in question hold the mudguards to the hull and are welded flush onto the hull, not screwed into it. ;)

HSS hire out a stud welder - its a capacitor discharge stud welder so not sure if it's up to the job.

But if it works you may have to use metric studs and not unf

We have the same problem - a lot of missing studs.

Cobalt drills are available as are other drills for this job on e-bay, but you may also need a magdrill to stick on the hull since as Richard says a lot of pressure will be needed, and even then can is there enogh room for the drilling machine as these drilling machines are not small

D&J

The studs in question hold the mudguards to the hull and are welded flush onto the hull, not screwed into it. ;)

Cobalt drills are available as are other drills for this job on e-bay, but you may also need a magdrill to stick on the hull since as Richard says a lot of pressure will be needed, and even then can is there enogh room for the drilling machine as these drilling machines are not small

D & J,

Good idea about a mag drill, we did not have these 20+ years ago when drilling hulls. Beauty of an air drill is you can keep the speed real slow.

I thought the idea of armour plate was 'the harder you try to deform it the tougher it becomes'. Which is why some armour would behave like soft cheese under attack from a 1/8th drill bit, but resist all efforts to scratch it with a 5/8th bit :cool2:

Therefore a hilti stud would merely act like a bullet - which might punch straight through mild steel but would not get far into armour plate.

The latest thought here is Hilti studs - Know they are fired into girders but will it work on armour?

D&J

:stop: :nono: NO NO NO....I know a chap who took out an artery in his groin with one of those firing into a steel beam, ricocheted back out, he very nearly died!

And my dad bought one and fired it straight through a solid brick house wall and left a neat hole in the customers bedroom mirror! :shake: it never came out of it's box again..

When I replaced the broken studs on my Saladin, I used high tensile stainless screwed rod cut to length and TIG welded them on. So far, after arround 4 years they are still OK.

I would sugest you do the same. UNF stainless rod is available, but you need to specifie high tensile.

I found a selfemployed guy that could do the TIG welding on site. I had everything prepared before had so that the time was a quick as possible. From memory it was a mornings work for him.

Andy

If you have a small mig welder you can weld a nut or bolt to the remaining stump and unscrew the remaining stud out. At my garage we use this process half a dozen times every working day !!!:)

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate :-D

23snapped so not bad. Coverd them in diesel for a week. I am sure it helped. Every time i was there just a walk round with a spray bottle with diesel in ,,, A stud welder it is from the local hire shop,,, great idea i had a look on youtube there are plenty of demos .looks easy???

The turret is off all the wheels .I have put it on a drops pallet so i can take it to the shot blsters 500m away,,,,,,

Its staying on the pallet untill it is finished. Its all going ok. Has anyone an idea of a turret basket new old stock for sale? mine has holes in .IF not a repair. But i would rather new.

Also Saladin parts ???? new only anyone? anything??

06092011472.jpg