Austin Champ anyone recognize this vehicle or know it's history?

Masseyboy89

Hi all,

I bought what looks to me, to be quite an original champ, It was put in a barn and has been forgotten for over 20years, I wondered if anyone recognizes the vehicle at all, or could give me an idea what the markings denote. I am guessing '1308' is an sale number.

Took some pictures today.

IMAG0538.jpg

IMAG0536.jpg

IMAG0537.jpg

Looks a grand find mate! ....look forward to watching her come back together on here! :)........

I've often wondered though..

..just how did Austin came up with the Champ????:cool2:.....

"Here's what we'll do lads!...the Army has asked us to build them a 'proper' British Jeep right!.........and...we all know how good the Jeep was and still is....... agreed ? right then....so what we build, needs to be BETTER at absolutely EVERYTHING that the Jeep can do! ...right!

right! thats agreed then.............so here's what we'll do......

..we'll take a Jeep to pieces ...and if there is ANYTHING simple WHATSOEVER in one..we'lll make it 4 times as complicated in our version !..... right!..

...oh yeah nearly forgot.......no matter what we build it out of......we'll also make it way WAY heavier than the Jeep as well..... .....OK!...lets get started!.....

.....oh yeah by the way ........ignore that Land summat thing that Rover is building ...that thing'll never catch on!..........." :-D:-D:-D:-D

Hi all,

I bought what looks to me, to be quite an original champ, It was put in a barn and has been forgotten for over 20years, I wondered if anyone recognizes the vehicle at all, or could give me an idea what the markings denote. I am guessing '1308' is an sale number.

Took some pictures today.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49826[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49827[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49829[/ATTACH]

Sign up to the Austin Champ register http://www.austinchamp.com/ one chap in particular (John Mastrangelo) should be able to help with its history. He also sorted out the history of one of my Ferrets.

Keith Nicholson also does a monthly news letter as well which can be very informative http://www.austin-champ.co.uk/

1308 is the Lot No. for 57 BE 02 sold on the 3rd day of a sale 14 Sept 1967

It was sold to Hirsts for £52, it looks as if he bought a consecutive batch of 23 Champs ranging in price from £52 to £72

Not Joe Hirst? Ran the scrap yard just out of Whitchurch, Hampshire? thanks for the info, great!!

Sign up to the Austin Champ register http://www.austinchamp.com/ one chap in particular (John Mastrangelo) should be able to help with its history. He also sorted out the history of one of my Ferrets.

Keith Nicholson also does a monthly news letter as well which can be very informative http://www.austin-champ.co.uk/

Again, great, thanks for your help.

Again, great, thanks for your help.

No problem I like Champs I just haven't the time or space to have one, now if I won the lottery and could afford to own the garage of my dreams the Champ would be one of my first buys. Along with a Ford Mustang the type that Steve Mcqueen drove in Bullitt.

No problem I like Champs I just haven't the time or space to have one, now if I won the lottery and could afford to own the garage of my dreams the Champ would be one of my first buys. Along with a Ford Mustang the type that Steve Mcqueen drove in Bullitt.

Great choice! what a gorgeous car, always remember the massive axle tramp when he did the backwards wheel spin in the car chase!

Not Joe Hirst? Ran the scrap yard just out of Whitchurch, Hampshire? thanks for the info, great!!

The very same! I bought all his old sales catalogues.

For some years there was a mystery in that there were a large number of Champs sold off but there were no Ruddington catalogues that could identify when.

The reason being is that most were sold through OSDD Branston (2 miles south of Burton-on-Trent)

I have only 3 Branston catalogues & it is no coincidence that I was able to find them at Hirsts:D

The very same! I bought all his old sales catalogues.

For some years there was a mystery in that there were a large number of Champs sold off but there were no Ruddington catalogues that could identify when.

The reason being is that most were sold through OSDD Branston (2 miles south of Burton-on-Trent)

I have only 3 Branston catalogues & it is no coincidence that I was able to find them at Hirsts:D

Wow! I can't believe that!! Hirst's are only about 2miles down the road! how ironic it ends up surviving and 44years later, ends up a couple of miles down the road!

Wow! I can't believe that!! Hirst's are only about 2miles down the road! how ironic it ends up surviving and 44years later, ends up a couple of miles down the road!

Very ironic and to still have its lot number on it, it would almost be a shame to over restore it. But hey its you're vehicle have fun with it and if you have the time post up some pics of the restoration.

Not really sure what to do with it at the moment, as you say, it seems a shame to paint it. I will get it running hitch it to a M416 and use it to ferry parts and tools about the field for the mean while. I've still got 2 mutts under restoration so after a bit of tinkering, the champ will be on the back burner for a month or two! the speedo reads about 5000miles, The old boy it came from said it never did a lot, apparently it was bought for periodically shunting boats about the yard, then eventually, it ended up getting laid up in a barn for at least a couple of decades.

A really nice find - and with the original markings too! As the Champ record cards no longer exist, the markings or an in service photo are about your only hope of finding the Champ's service history. John Mastrelango is the Champ 'guru' and brilliant at deciphering the markings (contact him via www.austinchamp.com).

What with all that and Clive filling you in on the history since it was sold, you're a very lucky chap!

Personally I'd forget the Mutts and restore the Champ but that's just me!!

A really nice find - and with the original markings too! As the Champ record cards no longer exist, the markings or an in service photo are about your only hope of finding the Champ's service history. John Mastrelango is the Champ 'guru' and brilliant at deciphering the markings (contact him via www.austinchamp.com).

What with all that and Clive filling you in on the history since it was sold, you're a very lucky chap!

I'll second that, shame it got left in a damp environment the floors will need some work but its virtually untouched since being auctioned off (except the slightly odd looking indicators!)

Thanks, Ive just sent him an email, will let you all know the result! I do Love my Mutts I'm afraid, the champ is quite an awesome bit of (over) engineering though! It will get it garaged up in a month or so when the weather starts to turn and I'll start a new resto thread.

I'll second that, shame it got left in a damp environment the floors will need some work but its virtually untouched since being auctioned off (except the slightly odd looking indicators!)

Nothing to do with a damp environment, I reckon its all the rust spreading up the hill from your yard of jozz. :-D