for Humber 1-Ton owners

fv1609

You mean apart from the obscene number of ball-joints in the steering linkage?!?!?! :cool2:

Looks like a pipe has been chopped and a replacement made off and re-routed elsewhere...... Looks to be soaking/weeping down from above though. :undecided:

Alec.

Edited by Rangie

You mean apart from the obscene number of ball-joints in the steering linkage?!?!?! :cool2:

Looks like a pipe has been chopped and a replacement made off and re-routed elsewhere...... Looks to be soaking/weeping down from above though. :undecided:

Alec.

Alec thanks for having a go. Yes the pipes do look suspicious. The one on the right is the drain from the engine block. The dry one is broken & is the radiator drain. It should be longer & broadly follow down where the engine drain pipe goes.

There is a certain generosity of oil all over the engine & neighbourhood.

But these are not the problems that I was focussing on.

Leaking sump?

Looks like something is running down that support bracket and thence down the flexi hose. Area around appears dry.....

Neil yes there is a fair bit of oil, but I don't think it is leaking from the sump. I think some oil is getting thrown there from a failing seal on the Tracta joint as gear oil is weeping from the brake drum bake plate. But that is of course out of sight & not the particular fault I had in mind.

It's not a flexi hose Neil, its a free ended metal drain pipe for the block.

Its not a fault that would be obvious unless one knew the Humber underneath fairly well, as everything may appear in place.

But it is mechanical that can be seen & it's not a fluid problem. (BTW Neil sorry to hear about the Rover problems)

Do i spy a track rod end that has been welded up?

I see what you mean but that isn't it. Although I once met a man with a Pig & a friend tried to weld up his broken torsion bar but that is another story.

The problem is more in the middle of the screen & in fairness really needs a Humber person to spot it. But you lot are doing very well. So where are all the Humber-lovers tonight?

I must admit, when I looked at it initially, i thought the grease nipple on the balljoint in the center of the frame looks as if its been rubbing against that casing. I half dismissed it because the other nipples look as if they are the flat type as well.

The casing, if its a diff casing looks to be at a jaunty angle, but maybe they are meant to be like that on Humbers.....

I'll give up now, out of my depth :nut: If it was a landie, now then..... :-D

Hmmm?

Alec.

Must admit that the track rod end in the center screen dose not look to healfy ,must confes i have my mates pig manual in front of me trying to work out what has failed on his charging system.

Yes I think what you are referring to is the protrusion that hits the vertical end stop pillar.

The answer is in the driver servicing section of the UHB;)

I must admit, when I looked at it initially, i thought the grease nipple on the balljoint in the center of the frame looks as if its been rubbing against that casing. I half dismissed it because the other nipples look as if they are the flat type as well.

The casing, if its a diff casing looks to be at a jaunty angle, but maybe they are meant to be like that on Humbers.....

I'll give up now, out of my depth :nut: If it was a landie, now then..... :-D

Hmmm?

Alec.

Alec don't give up you've got it!

, i thought the grease nipple on the balljoint in the center of the frame looks as if its been rubbing against that casing.

Well done! Spot on! See the difference on mine

Dscf7215a.jpg

DSCF7180X.jpg

There should not be a nipple there. It should be a blanking plug which is just a bit shallower. The diff casing is arranged to just give clearance for the plug, but with a nipple there as you pointed out it hits the casing. This results in a reduced right lock, although with time the nipple has got ground down to some degree.

This also means that when injecting grease it tends to leak out & not get injected deeply into the joint. The tubes are hollow & it is said only to be necessary to inject into the other joint. However in theory that is fine but a lot of grease comes out of the one joint & not the other. I prefer to replace the plug with a nipple inject & then replace the plug.

It is an easy mistake for an owner to make by thinking the plug should be replaced.

So very well done!

Edited by fv1609

Well Clive it looks very Gloppy I must admit, which will attract dirt and grime and induce wear, so an issue with seals in the CV on the prop / grease point?

However my eye is drawn in the image to the coil of thin gauge tube in the backdrop that looks like something out of place.

I am of course still learning and haven't got the Pig infront on me being in the heart of Glasgow this evening working.

I wonder if such a feeble response has just embarrassed myself on a grand scale....DOH!

Well Clive it looks very Gloppy I must admit, which will attract dirt and grime and induce wear, so an issue with seals in the CV on the prop / grease point?

However my eye is drawn in the image to the coil of thin gauge tube in the backdrop that looks like something out of place.

I am of course still learning and haven't got the Pig infront on me being in the heart of Glasgow this evening working.

I wonder if such a feeble response has just embarrassed myself on a grand scale....DOH!

Nothing embarrassing there, Wayne at least you had a go.

The coil is ok, it is the air pipe from the compressor.

Yes there is far too much grease. The clue is that it is in the wrong place.

Yes the UJ on the prop is very dry by comparison. I would surmise that an incorrect lubrication point has been fitted and the wrong point has had grease injected.

It is also probable that the abundant grease is incorrect and that local grease on assembly was required or not at all as it is a splined connection on a prop to allow articulation and extension????

It is also probable that the abundant grease is incorrect and that local grease on assembly was required or not at all as it is a splined connection on a prop to allow articulation and extension????

It is the waterproofing greaser to protect the seal when wading, that has been greased, and not the propshaft sliding joint.

Pretty much there Wayne. :)

There is adequate grease on the UJ & you can see where some excess has spun onto the chassis.

There looks to be recent greasing of the axle drive shaft casing, on the left below the compressor.

The main source of the grease should not have all this. There should be a blanking plug to make it obvious it does not require greasing routinely.

Only in preparation for fording requires the plug to be removed & a grease nipple fitted. Then gentle pressure to inject grease sufficient only to allow a little grease to appear at the pressure relief valve (above & out of view) this indicates that the seals are full.

Excessive pressure risks damaging the seals. Not a big deal unless you are planning on fording. It just seems nice to consider the purpose of what one is trying to lubricate. Just followed on as another example, no doubt well intentioned, efforts of a blanking plug being fitted with a grease nipple.:D

I shall take a small amount of comfort as a Humber 1 Tonne Virgin that I was at least thinking latterally on this about excessive grease and in the wrong place at least.

However Richard has a major edge on a none MT techie like me...... Humbug!

I shall take a small amount of comfort as a Humber 1 Tonne Virgin that I was at least thinking latterally on this about excessive grease and in the wrong place at least.

Now you've got embarrassing Wayne! You can't say things like that like bow your head in shame. This is an imperial British vehicle built in the 1950s

1 Ton please! Imperial to the last, even the rear door opening is not 1219.2 mm, it is 4ft 0in:-D:-D

Oh No.....Named and Shamed Clive....Whatever next....I will be referring to M10 bolts on the pig instead of 3/8ths.....

The Shame.......Should be used to Imperial with old Landies as well. Just goes to show!

Day job of metric measurement overrules and clouds my vision in description....

I thought Ton was an Americanism anyway