Cheap Jeep

Jolly Jeeper

well its cheap and practical but not a Willys ! heheheh!.

anyways...the Mahindra had a Peugeot engine and Dana axles and gearbox as I recall...nowt wrong with any of that stuff.....and the Mahindra jeep itself was a good rufty tufty little truck......

at the end of the day if all someone wants to do is own and drive in a smart little truck that looks just like a wartime jeep then this one would do the job fine I would have thought.......we can't all afford 10 or 12 grand or thereabouts you know!...:-D

Well said, Rattlesnake Bob. Dana 44s etc under a Mahindra... I didn't expect such name calling snobbery about Mahindras here. Are people as snotty about the Neval/Cossack/Ural outfits painted field grey?

I've got a NATO green Mahindra CJ340 (swb) diesel, a sand Mahindra CJ540 (lwb) diesel, a CJ-2A project, a load of CJ-3B bits and sold a petrol Hotchkiss M201 early this year. I had the M201 for a long time and have had the CJ340 longer (since 1989) and have had just as much fun in the Mahindra as the Hotchkiss - four of us took both to Normandy in 2004. Been to Bastogne, Geneva, Sedan... in the Mahindra.

I might have a punt at the eBay one I think although I would have preferred a petrol engine...

Here's some Jolly Jeepin' pics;

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.108159439210894.14414.100000505149086&type=1 - Mahindra SWB

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.162008927159278.36551.100000505149086&type=1 - Hotchkiss

M201

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.114648058562032.15945.100000505149086&type=1 - Jeeps incl LWB Mahindra

Edited by Jolly Jeeper
extra tech info/photo urls added

Cracking idea Jeep prices seem to be heading into the stratosphere. As a cheap way of owning a Jeep or a Jeep lookalike its a goer. The majority of the public won't know any difference the chug chug noises should make it plain to other MV owners, if you can live with that go for it.

my thoughts exactly Sir!...

I'd honestly rather pay a grand or so for one of them than even contemplate finding/justifying 'proper' jeep prices........ and anyways....

I was in the AWDC club doing some serous off road work for years and.... a lot of fellas back then were running Mungas and Champs (and a few very foolish people even tried Gypsys but we won't go into that at the moment heheheh! :cool2:)....

.and ...I've seen those vehicles being 'worshipped' on here ......

and to be honest they were absolutely terrible and almost useless....or at least 'useless at their designed task' of being an 'off roader'....

...I'd take that Mahindra with no worries at all.:-D

Rattlesnake Bob - Yes!

Not long after I got the 'Mad Hilda' Mahindra I drove it down from Yorkshire to Bovvy for the weekend - did the RTV trial in it on Sat, used it to follow the Heavy Vehicle Trial around on Sunday (while sharing a drive of Chris Acock's Scammell Explorer in the trial) and drove it home to Yorkshire on Monday. It did really well except for wearing out a set of brake shoes in that gritty mud at Bovvy.

Cheers, JC

Often when we send Pinz to UK there is a big space at the end and I keep telling the dealer to chuck one of these in

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?16349-Asia-Motors-Jeep&highlight=km410

I nearly bought one for myself but cannot register them here (but can register a six wheeled Pinz, go figure). Body is supposedly a drect copy of the Jeep as built under license and the later model Rocsta running gear fits underneath as the Rocsta was a later derivitive

Mark - there's some stuff about those RAAF Jeeps and a test evaluation report on the CJ3B webpage - don't know if you've seen it - http://www.film.queensu.ca/cJ3B/

I agree about the Hotchkiss/Mahindra thing - I said that to a bloke in Normandy, he was apoplectic and, I think, would have punched me if he'd dared! What you say is true though; the licence-building agreements mean that flat fender Jeeps were built in France, India, Japan, Colombia, Spain and CKD assembled in lots of others... http://www.film.queensu.ca/cJ3B/World.html

thats a great website !.........must admit though that the 'high bonnet' models are not my favourite....they just don't look 'right'........but if anyones giving one away?. well now... don't be shy of asking me if I've got room for it ! heheh!

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Final price of £1500+ seems a bit steep IMHO for a bitsa that the guys admits he doesn't even know runs or not, no electricals, fuel system, brakes, etc, etc - probably be the thick end of £3k when its finished to any reasonable standard...

Suppose you could use the tub and scrap the rest... :undecided:

Final price of £1500+ seems a bit steep IMHO for a bitsa that the guys admits he doesn't even know runs or not, no electricals, fuel system, brakes, etc, etc - probably be the thick end of £3k when its finished to any reasonable standard...

Suppose you could use the tub and scrap the rest... :undecided:

I messaged the fella on ebay and he said "what you see on the photo is what you get"..

.....so your probably right cos he didn't have a bonnet, a windscreen / frame, no seats, lights etc etc etc ....far too much I reckons....... at 800 quid it would have been worth a go at but not halfway to 2 grand ...oh no....not fer me !

Is it dear at £1500 plus? Someone wanted it that much but it made more than I expected and I didn't bid;

Bear this on mind though; there's a guy on eBay selling 'barn find' chassis and axles etc. I asked what he wanted for a pair of axles and a chassis - a total £900 for some identifiable GPW parts but still a long way from a whole Jeep.

There was also a rolling chassis, swb Mahindra - tub, grille, bonnet, chassis, pair of axles, wheels, usable wings, V5C and lots of attached small bits for £150. So I bought it. It's a long way from a WWii Jeep.

I have some MB bits on the shelf to use, some M201 wheels and with this 'roller' I think I'll build another version of the one on eBay with a MD Juan tub and a Hotchkiss engine; it might not be a WWii Jeep (but neither is a Hotchkiss) but it will be a Jeep. And I can imagine having just as much fun in it as I did in my Hotchkiss. That, to me, is the most important; roof down motoring on back roads on sunny days rather than worrying about the right wheel nuts... It is, of course, each to his/her own.

Jeepin' and Jolly!

• 1 month later...

Honest...as far as I am concerned...????

..It looks absolutely great and if I had the money I would grab it right now.........

.......for and against all of the previous reasons said in this post........

......its a cracking looking WW2 'type' of Jeep and 99% of 'average Joes' wouldn't know it wasn't a 'proper' one any better than they know their head nor ass nor elbow......:-D........