Another dreamer on Milweb!

M5Clive

http://www.milweb.net/webverts/57548/

Where do these people actually dream up such ideas and prices?

I bought one of the finest GMC's I've owned (and I've had 11 over the years) back in March for around 1/3 of the price this guy is asking and it came with a new set of the correct tires, a new canvas and almost enough spares in the back to build another, and these were not via 'separate negotiation' either.

Mind you, in fairness, I didn't have two telegraph poles strapped to the side and some Austin Maxi velour seats................which probably makes all the difference!

That said, if he gets nearly 17k for "a unique opportunity to aquire probably one of the finest G.M.C.s currently available" then all credit to him and who am I to pass judgement?

Picture included however to show what can be purchased in recent weeks for a realistic price, but it is certainly not 'currently available!'

DSC_0662.jpg

Sticky Six is unloaded upon arrival in East Anglia - Easter 2011

Edited by M5Clive

Is there a particular reason for having twin wheels on the front axle?

All GMC CCKW trucks have the ability to double-up the front wheels for increased traction in difficult driving conditions, and they do look very impressive when the extra front wheels are fitted, but I imagine the steering is pretty heavy also!

All GMC CCKW trucks have the ability to double-up the front wheels for increased traction in difficult driving conditions, and they do look very impressive when the extra front wheels are fitted, but I imagine the steering is pretty heavy also!

Thank you :)

That looks WAY too overdone, as if a Jimmy would ever look like that in service :D.

I Have seen a lot more jimmy's with twice that hanging off.

is that a US navy gunnery helmet on the seat?

The helmet looks like a USAAF M3 Flak Helmet. It's a shame considering the amount of work which has obviously gone into the truck and collecting all the crap on it that more attention wasn't paid to getting the details right.

Technically the dual front wheels are specific to the 352 prime mover. That's the *only* reason why the 352 has dual tire carrier.

Yes you can bolt on extra wheels to the 353, but you only have one spare.. so its really not on option unless you have access to another tire... the 352 is read to go right out of the box.

That Milweb 'vert is typical of the pie in the sky dreamers that post adverts in 'Supply Line' and Military Vehicle Magazine. 'Straight from the Norwegian army CCKWs for $18,000US.. only needs a full restoration and off you go! :nut::nut::nut:

They've been listed for years...

The owner must of used that HORRIBLY DREADFUL CCKW book by David Doyle.... where else will you find a 'reference' with gray engines, Norwegian mods and plastic inline fuel filters and still be called 'restored'.

Lets own up, who does not enjoy kitting out their vehicle! its part of the fun and thats what its all about really. There are many vehicles out there that are over kitted (eg. Jeeps with sirens etc!). Maybe not a good idea when you are trying to sell, a case of less is more (like de-clutering a house at sale time) but it does seem much loved if overpriced.

Lots of overpricing at the moment ie. 432s at 8-10k, seriously!:nut:

Iain