GMC 352's

Thanks all for those kind words, yes I think its all turned out pretty good in the end.Just waiting for the self colour sheet metal for some of the stenciling, a final coat of paint and we should be getting some where near, I do have the bolts for the rear door to do.

Thanks Howard

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I have managed to get a bit more done on the trailer, I have got most of the markings done on the rear of the trailer, just waiting for one other stencil for the rear. I have also managed to stencil the top half of the side of the trailer, I am hoping to get the bottom half done tomorrow. heres a pic of the rear. Howard

DSC00258.JPG

Well I managed to get some of the stencils done on the side of the trailer, just the other side to do, i also redid the front bumper markings on the truck I still have the rear markings to do, here are a couple of pics.

DSC00267.JPG

DSC00268.JPG

DSC00265.JPG

Hello Joris

I would love to have it there, but its a fare old hack, I will look into costs of a loloader but the chances are I wont get there due to transport costs, Not unless there is a kind sponsor would like to get it there and back for me.I am glad you like the set up, I still have a few odd things to do but its just about done. All the best. Howard.

Hello Tony

The inside of the trailer has been done out similar to a mobile home. Over the step frame area is the sleeping area, and to the left as you go in the doorway is the Toilet/shower room. There is a table and two bench seats which also doubles up as another double bed. On the right side as you come through the door is the worktop with sink and work area, with 90 litre fresh water tank underneath, also a 3 way fridge, and a lpg cooker with oven, grill and four rings. There is also a floor to ceiling cupboard shelved out for storage of food ect. Well thats about it. I will try and get some nice pics of the inside.

Thanks Howard

So what you got in the back?

Howard, you forgot to mention the stainless steel upstands behind the sink - One of the rigs most endearing features !!!

Looks great with the stencils on the trailer - i can't imagine who on earth would have come up with such a novel idea.............

............I tried to upload the original WWII pictures tonight, but for some reason those particular downloads onto iPhoto were not in JPEG format, so I couldn't get them on here. I will try again when I have more time.

It will look fantastic on the USAAF Convoy on Saturday July 14th - Better put you up front !

I have one of the images, Clive. If only Howard could have lowered his painting standards for once to replicate all that overspray on the top stenciling :cool2:

Seriously, it's looking great Howard. Heck, you could even serve bulk coffee and donuts out of that (on Saturday 14th July - I can supply the donuts, is there enough power to run a Berco boiler?).

Howard's Trailer.JPG

Hello N.O.S thanks for that, plenty of room for the Donuts, I can have power for the Berco thats if theres a spare jimmy for my generator to stand on.Glad you like it. I know what you mean about the stencils some times they can be a bit to krisp, theres nothing wrong with a bit of overspray.cheers Howard

Just out of curiosity: What type of trailer was the "original" one?

This build I'm sure must have set many minds going, building similar rigs.

I'm considering getting a GMC CCKW 353 with a K53 body and turn it into a camper for me and my electric wheelchair. It would have to be equipped with an electric hoist of some sort to lift up me and the wheelchair.

Must be fantastic to use a comfy camper like that instead of sloshing it out in a tent ;-)

Goran N

Hello Goran

Thanks for that, at the moment I am not to sure if the trailer was a semi trailer or a four wheeled trailer with a turn table,I am still trying to find a picture showing the complete trailer. regards the shop van they are ideal for camper rebuilds. Nice and cosey.I dont think a hoist would be a problem, as you have the double doors it wouldnt be hard to rig it up from the inside so it just swivels out of the doors. All the best Howard

It was a trailer. Oh and it should really have an Autocar or Federal on the front :cool2:

Here's a photo showing the front of an MTU trailer in the background, but perhaps more importantly a Chevrolet MTU (how about it, Malcolm?) with a plywood "box" added.

As I keep on saying - "anything goes!".

MTU.JPG

Hello Malcolm,

are give you a shout, I have the oil seal to do then get it all back togeather, are see how I get on. Thanks N.O.S for the front veiw of the trailer, and its a step frame,Mmm I like the rounded front of the trailer very nice. I tell you what Malcolm I recon N.O.S may have something there, box on the Chev and a smaller MTU what do you think. Howard

Hello Tony

The inside of the trailer has been done out similar to a mobile home. Over the step frame area is the sleeping area, and to the left as you go in the doorway is the Toilet/shower room. There is a table and two bench seats which also doubles up as another double bed. On the right side as you come through the door is the worktop with sink and work area, with 90 litre fresh water tank underneath, also a 3 way fridge, and a lpg cooker with oven, grill and four rings. There is also a floor to ceiling cupboard shelved out for storage of food ect. Well thats about it. I will try and get some nice pics of the inside.

Thanks Howard

Sounds more like a luxury apartment! all you need is another with the sauna and gym! :D