GMC 352's

Hello Tony

I will have to chat up my mate Malcolm he can put the sauna in the back of the chev. Its all turned out rather well, and with the original trailer being a semi has really pleased me, so I have got it some where near.

N.O.S I dont suppose you know what the other markings are on the front side of the trailer in that black and white pic, theres alsoa marking on the front, but I cant make it out.Any ideas.

Thanks Howard

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So looking at the original photo. Was she designed as a training aid to keep ground crews up to date with the systems?

Hello Tony

I cant confirm that the trailer was custom built for just that purpose, there were all sorts of mobile trailer uses, such as dentist, photo lab, workshop, radio , and the list goes on. But certainly keeping the air crew up to date with various items would have been one of its rolls. I am hoping to copy the oxygen set up that they have on a stand to put beside my trailer, thats if I find time to get it made up.

Howard

...N.O.S I dont suppose you know what the other markings are on the front side of the trailer in that black and white pic, theres alsoa marking on the front, but I cant make it out.Any ideas.

Thanks Howard

This is a good as the image gets - maybe squadron logos? :coffee:

Van front detail.JPG

Took the trailer out for road test today, and found that one of the trailer brake drums was getting rather warm. So I have removed the drum to look at adjustment. I have found that there is no more adjustment, I will have a further look tomorrow to see if i can get it sorted. Howard

I managed to get the brakes sorted today and took trailer out for a 6 mile run with the truck, all ran very well with no brake problems, i tested brakes and the trailer brakes pull the truck up very well if required. But the jimmy brakes seem to cope with the trailer ok. Its out to the first show this weekend coming. Thanks Malcolm for helping with the bleeding of brakes, I needed someone to operate the deaman to bleed the trailer brakes. Malcolm has a vidio of the trip out see if he can post it.

Regards Howard.

Hello Malcom, glad you enjoed the trip out, I hope we have good weather for the weekend, all this rain is really starting to Hack me off. Hi Joris the height of the trailer from floor to top of the Roof is 10ft 1" , I am having a stencil made with alll the shipping dims on, so as and when people see the trailer all the info will be available. Just have to keep an eye open for low bridges. Cheers Howard

Hi all,I took the truck and trailer out for the weekend to a local show at the mid suffolk light railway, had a good weekend, little damp and cold on the sunday but a nice day today. Glad to report the truck ran very well and coped with the trailer ok. Plenty of admirers of the set up. all in all a good weekend out. Howard

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Joris

Yes Its all worked out very well, and very comfortable, you certainly wont get cold at night. mind you I have only had 3 nights in it, As for the truck on the road it seems to pull the trailer very well, mind you when you get to a hill its a different storey, but then I would expect that, as for the braking the truck brakes alone seem to cope with the trailer very well, but the trailer brakes work very well to from the dead man.I am hoping to get to Beltring with it, I am planning on driving down there after the MY Little Friends Weekend. There is a few of us going to convoy together down there. I think we are planing to leave at 10am on the Sunday Morning, so if there are any other people wanting to follow us down then please do. Leaving at that time means theres no rushing about and we can do a couple of stops on the way there, for a coffee break.

Howard.

I did a quickie job, really. Removed the caravans in the background in the right hand side of the picture, removed the folding camping chairs and the butane gas flask beneath the trailer. Tweaked contrast and colours a bit, turned it into B&W, added the Signal Corps logo and added the numbers in the RH corner. Added a frame, made to look like old tape stains, and a few scratches. Presto!

I do this for a living too, apart from being a photographer. I do the whole thing, from taking the photograph to delivering the finished photo. Usually I restore old family photo's that been hit by the ravages of time, with scratches, spots, fading, etc. But going the other way around, turning a modern digital colour photo into a 1940's look-alike is something I enjoy doing.

A large format print, with the underlying job of removing artifacts from the image etc., costs from 15£-30£ for a print in A4 (21x29,7 cm / 8,27 x 11,69 inches) glossy/semi glossy or matte. A print on canvas add 15%.A3 (297×420 cm = 11,69x16,54 inches) and A3+ (33 x 44 cm = 12,99 x 17,32 inches) 30£-50£. A print on canvas add 15%. Prices are aproximate and covers cost of 30 minutes retouching work. Intricate and involved work costs more. Removing cars and people from a messy background may take hours.

Goran N